Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

My 2 year old Q60 65" does VRR. ;) You really don't need a LG CX OLED if you going to limit games to 4K 60fps.

Yeah, but there are titles that have options to run 120 fps, and I wouldnt want to buy into something that doesn't allow for that, so $2K is the price. The CX has a range of 40-120 Hz for VRR 4K.

So DF loves PS5 BC. So much for people saying the PS5 BC would be crap.

DF Prefers PS5 locked at 1440p and 60fps over XBSX at 4K dropping below 60fps.
that's a specific case where Xbox barely drops. But can be reduced to 1440p for hitman on Xbox if that is the desire.
I think only Sekiro is the only one where XSX struggled to find a way out for itself.

It apparently needs a patch for 90-120hz though as there VRR isn’t working yet?

Anyway, I have a Samsung Q85 and personally I care more about the 1300nits bright spots than the less black black spots. I don’t really see many issues with blacks at all on this tv Btw, and as I’m not a pixel counter some hard to spot blur on motion when most motion is blurred on purpose anyway doesn’t really make up for the absolutely fantastic bright scenes and color quality.

Together with the price difference at 65” that steered me away from the LG, though that was over half a year ago of course.

Anyway can’t wait until DF starts posting PS5 stuff!

Other than AC needing a good patch, backwards-compatibility performance scaling from this generation to the next is looking quite good on PS5 (XBSX as well).

Appears game downloads are much faster. Which is great news. Using the PS network/store as cold storage may be an option...

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/playstation-5-review-ps5

"While installing games on the PlayStation 5 for the testing, I was also struck by the fact that it felt like games were downloading much quicker. Despite some fan statements to the contrary, it can take much longer to download games on the PS4 versus Steam or even the Xbox One. I have a rather robust Verizon FIOS internet—756 Mbps down, 939 Mbps up—and I have both systems wired to the router, so I know that's never been the problem. I decided to test the difference with small and medium-sized PS4 games.

For the small game, I chose Disgaea 5, which comes in at a very slight 6.58 GB. On the PlayStation 4 Pro, it took 10 minutes and 42 seconds to download the entire game, versus the mere 1 minute and 58 seconds on the PlayStation 5. From there, it only took 1 minute and 2 seconds to transfer to the external hard drive, making it playable on both systems.

The medium-sized game I chose was Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise, standing at 36.6 GB in total size. That took a total of 58 minutes and 34 seconds to download completely on my PS4 Pro. On PS5? 7 minutes and 1 second. From nearly an hour to under ten minutes is an astonishing drop in terms of download times. That's almost worth the price of admission alone. Suffice it to say, you probably don't need to keep your PlayStation 4 around anymore."

- The CPU is Zen2 in instruction set and general IPC but has one 8-core CCX with 8MB L3 like Zen3 (edit: like Zen3's APUs are expected to be).

This is interesting if true. That would make the PS5 CPU more of a half way point between Zen2 APU's and Zen 2 desktop chips rather than a pure APU configuration. And would clearly be a design element borrowed from Zen 3.

Appears game downloads are much faster. Which is great news. Using the PS network/store as cold storage may be an option...

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/playstation-5-review-ps5

From nearly an hour to under ten minutes is an astonishing drop in terms of download times. That's almost worth the price of admission alone.

It's too early and a Friday, so I don't want to do the math, so what does that work out to for mbit/s? Also, do they not show download rates? I rarely catch/watch them with auto-updates enabled.

CaptainAmerica1_zps8c295f96.JPG

It's too early and a Friday, so I don't want to do the math, so what does that work out to for mbit/s? Also, do they not show download rates? I rarely catch/watch them with auto-updates enabled.

Assuming my math is correct. ~445Mbps for the first game and ~695Mbps for the second.

The first game probably never got a chance to get to max rate since it was smaller....so yeah maybe the new cap is ~700Mbps(well that was the average so maybe it's higher)??

that's a specific case where Xbox barely drops. But can be reduced to 1440p for hitman on Xbox if that is the desire.
I think only Sekiro is the only one where XSX struggled to find a way out for itself.
There are others like Asseto corza or Monster Hunter World that are not locked on XSX and are often running at ~50fps (particularly Asseto Corza). All locked 60fps on PS5.

There are others like Asseto corza or Monster Hunter World that are not locked on XSX and are often running at ~50fps (particularly Asseto Corza). All locked 60fps on PS5.
is there no way to reduce resolution on those titles for xbox? or are they stuck like that?

nvm.
it seems MHW ran better on 4Pro than X1X to begin with.
The situation changes on the enhanced consoles, where Capcom offers three options to experiment with - a mode favouring resolution, another concentrating on improved graphics and finally, a performance option designed to push frame-rates higher. The resolution-specific mode is perhaps the most interesting and just like the beta, PS4 Pro produces an 1800p pixel count with telltale checkerboarding artefacts. Xbox One X, however, resolves at 1728p, a clear 4x boost to the base hardware's 864p, with the same reconstruction-style artefacts seen on base hardware. It's a fascinating presentation overall, as despite the slightly lower pixel-count, Xbox One X resolves more clarity overall while in motion. While the Microsoft console offers a cleaner look, PS4 Pro has an advantage of its own in this mode: additional detail mostly resolved in the form of more distant foliage, and a crisper image in static scenes.

Which Asseto Corza? The new competition one actually looks pretty good, may pick this up as a Forza filler if it runs well

Last edited:
Just can't get used to PS5's look. I just can't. I am buying it, mainly for DS, but Gosh its revolting in design.
is there no way to reduce resolution on those titles for xbox? or are they stuck like that?
Hitman can be played in 1440p mode, but most can't. Good thing about it is that most haven't ran at full 4K uncapped anyway.

Back