Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by BRiT, Mar 17, 2020.

1. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

Sorry man, I missed this.

In terms of total L2 per CU or TF, XSX should still have the edge due to L2 being directly related to bus width. Though L2 bandwidth is affected by clock speed. So you get into the whole bandwidth vs size vs capacity thing.

CPU access to memory will hurt both machines' GPUs, with access patterns and number of channels probably affecting both a little differently.

And you're right, that's outside the realm of speculation for most of us. In the long term, reality will usually reveal itself.

I think both machines are probably similarly limited (or not) by BW though. I don't see a PS4Pro / X1X situation being replicated wrt bandwidth.

2. Shompola

Newcomer

True that! I am not very comfortable with how the XSX is to be honest. I have a BESTA tv stand and I don't have room to put the XSX vertical behind the TV, and would rather now have it horizontal in the tv stand. However, as you said the exhaust is on the top side of the XSX when in vertical and on its side it will block exhaust air if no sufficient space on the sides. I will have the door open though but it still a little bit concerned. PS5 is a bit easier for me in a way...

3. Vega86

Newcomer

The Series X has a tiny slit on the upper back. I think it will function fine with the top covered as long as the tiny exhaust port that the back is open. Will probably run hotter though.

goonergaz likes this.
  4. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

That was already tested and temps measured in one of the the preview videos. It's in the Series X thread @ https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2165428/ [Time Stamp of 4:15]

Let's keep this thread about Sony Playstation 5.

goonergaz, Kugai Calo and Vega86 like this.
  5. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/16/details-on-new-voice-chat-functionality-coming-to-ps5/

PSman1700 likes this.
  6. Vega86

Newcomer

Thanks for the link.

Just saw it. Even if he covered it fully and ran at 60C that's nothing. I've ran a old AMD GPU for at least 6 years that has very uncomfortable heat if you touch the air coming from the back. You can touch the metal bracket at the back for a few seconds and then you'll probably get burnt. It's a 5 series ATI card.

7. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

i always join a private party chat when playing online, even if alone, so i cass curse and most importantly i don't hear all 12yo kids who should not be playing those 18+ games

turkey and DSoup like this.
  8. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Downloads are no longer parts of the Notification area, the separate download icon appears in Control Center when needed.

Tkumpathenurpahl likes this.
  9. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

And now I just noticed the controller battery indicator in the dock. I am easily satisfied.

10. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Lets hope they wont make the menus/quick controll centers too complicated, i see alot of small icons there. Maybe one can customize these menus?

11. curtisdodo

So that means that for example the SN850 we can't install it (the one with the heatsink) because according to Western Digital here are the dimensions in height: 8.8mm and so we can deduce that it is not compatible?

12. Insight

Newcomer

According to WD specifications, the heatsink is for PC only.
    On PS5, you don't need to use the heatsink

13. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

?

Seems like if you want to ensure it doesn't throttle you need the heatsink

14. Lalaland

Regular

Trying to work out tests for "is it throttling" is going to be great "fun". Fast travel a lot in an open world game? Repeatedly swap between suspended games? Neither of those is ideal as they are at various points not hitting I/O while the CPU munches through data, giving the drive a chance to cool but least swapping between two games guarantees you at two big read/write cycles.

15. curtisdodo

The use of SSDs will be intense on the next-gen. They will constantly serve as a cache and fulfill the role once exclusively attributed to RAM.
    I/O will explode.

16. Vega86

Newcomer

We're still not sure how it works on the PS5.
    Maybe 7Ghz is needed because even if it throttles it's close to PS5's 5.5 needed spec.
    Maybe because it might not need to use the 850's controller as much so it won't get that hot because the PS5's ssd controller is the one doing more of the work.
    Maybe WD is just providing heatsinks more for aesthetics.

17. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Not really.

PSman1700 likes this.
  18. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Figured that, ive used SSD's since 2009, none of them have any problems even as of today. Not even any of my usb flash drives or sd cards have any problems.

19. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

Here's my take: Using it for gaming will put it to work. It's not like this is going to be used for opening word docs/regular PC tasks. Therefore it will very likely get hot and if you don't want to risk any throttling....then get the heatsink. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

PSman1700 likes this.
  20. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

I decided to revisit an old rumor, and it looks as though it may have been genuine.

Die size: 454x256 pixels is 1.77 aspect ratio. 22.4 x 14.1 is 1.59 aspect ratio. The die size of the latter (316) is in the right ballpark, but a miss on the aspect ratio this large is suspect when they're providing sub mm measurements. The image may be thrown off due to uncorrected angle, but that would worsen the aspect ratio, not lengthen it.

Memory: The higher speed modules may have been necessary to run in a true clamshell configuration. Perhaps they weren't 100% decided at that point, so it's plausible.

VRM: We can't tell part numbers from the shots, but this is plausible because there are similar packages on the board. See this image of a 2080 ti board for comparison of both the power stages and the controller.

Memory: Plausible. Same manufacturer and part line (DDR4). Plenty of DDR4 RAM to match up to 2GB. Though just 512MB would probably be fine.

NAND: They did turn out to be Toshiba NAND from the same series, though the quantity is off. I'll comment here that is very tough to find references to this series online, even scouring the latest device teardowns. This adds a lot of legitimacy, for me.

Controller: Now that we know that the controller is separate from the I/O complex, perhaps it's plausible that it is a custom Phison design rather than Sony (unfortunately we can't see the part number in the video). The E16 was the faster controller available from Phison at the time, maxing out at 5GB/s, which could explain fewer NAND chips.

Summary: If it weren't for the chip aspect ratio, I'd say this indeed looks genuine. It may still be, given the difficulty of nailing down sizes from images, and the fact that chips can undergo revisions (though this one would be significant).