PlayStation 4K - Codename Neo - Technical analysis

Why would AMD develop a custom CPU for this when Puma would do the job fine? According to the source, AMD requested the Puma successor which as far as I'm aware means Zen since Puma is the end of the line for the 'cat' cores. And if it's not Zen (as the source says it's not)...
According to what source?

(I'm not seeing any in the article)

Last edited:
According to what source?

(I'm not seeing any in the article)

It's towards the end of the article:

The only mandate the company received was to keep the hardware changes invisible to the game developers, but that was also changed when Polaris 10 delivered a substantial performance improvement over the original hardware. The new 14nm FinFET APU consists out of eight x86 LP cores at 2.1 GHz (they’re not Zen nor Jaguar) and a Polaris GPU, operating on 15-20% faster clock than the original PS4.

They seem very sure of their info: Decision taken by Sony during Spring 2014 to do a Puma + Polaris. Can we trust vrworld?

They seem very sure of their info: Decision taken by Sony during Spring 2014 to do a Puma + Polaris. Can we trust vrworld?
That's my question, it's a generic "we learned that" and there's no source.

One reason for Sony to go with a custom derivative is right there: "to keep the hardware changes invisible to the game developers".
I have no idea what that implies for either of the existing choices. Binary compatibility is one thing, but guaranteeing performance profile applying in all cases is a bold one.

He means the source of the information. All I can tell from the article is that and .

Yes the whole article could be wrong, but then that would mean we should ignore the part about the GPU being Polaris as well as the CPU not being Zen.

So this either confirms Polaris and no Zen, or it confirms nothing and should be ignored.

I'd say there is nothing confirmed anywhere, but the most credible specs rumor we have is the one corroborated by multiple sources by Eurogamer (first post here). That source is saying Jaguar.

If there are real technical reasons to put the Jaguar cores into question (only on 28nm), wouldn't the entire Neo specs from eurogamer be put into question, as this is the only reasonable source of specs we have?

(I don't want to be a bastard, but that would also put this thread back to rumors and speculation)

One straightforward interpretation is that a re-implementation on a different process that otherwise looks the same from a software standpoint is being labeled imprecisely. AMD has made a habit of imprecision when labeling its bug-fixed APUs, such as Trinity/Richland and Kaveri/Godavari, so the signal/noise ratio is by default very low.

I read in this thread that Puma is just a shrunk Jaguar. Could it be that the CPU is referred to as both by different sources?

Puma is 28nm. That particular core, or Puma+ does exist on more than one 28nm process, but its primary distinction is that it has features like functional turbo that Jaguar for whatever reason failed to implement successfully. The characterization of this "successor" is that it wasn't really all that different.

Apparently they changed this line, now reads:

"The new 14nm FinFET APU consists out of eight x86 ‘Zen Lite’ LP cores at 2.1 GHz (they’re not Jaguar cores, as previously rumored) and a Polaris GPU, operating on 15-20% faster clock than the original PS4."

Zen lite, sure :runaway:

"The new 14nm FinFET APU consists out of eight x86 ‘Zen Lite’ LP cores at 2.1 GHz (they’re not Jaguar cores, as previously rumored) and a Polaris GPU, operating on 15-20% faster clock than the original PS4."

L2 cache: 512KB per core --> 256KB per core
L3 cache: 8 MB shared --> 4MB shared

And Voilá!, you have your zen-lite NEO edition!.

In fact, now the news has more sense than before. Zen is the most logical choice.

Last edited:

Theo apparently has a history of phantom edits judging by some ancient B3D discussion.

Theo Valich is one of the bright scientific minds behind reverse-hyperthreading:

Theo Valich said:
It seems that all AM2 CPUs were outfitted with a support for Reverse-HyperThreading, an architectural change which enables software to think that it is working on a single-core alone. By combining two cores, the company has been able to produce the six IPC "core" that will go head to head against four IPC "core" from Conroe/Merom/WoodCrest combo.

It seems that in certain cases, even an old AMD Athlon 64 3800+ can wipe the floor with Core 2 Duo E6300 CPU.

So Reverse-Hyperthreading, a technology that combines two cores to work as one, is so spectacular that even a single core A64 3800+ can use it to combine its.. erm.. single core.. with a.. hum.. with an interdimensional quantum... duplicate and overcome an Intel dual-core with higher IPC.
Brilliant.

I just went through multiple articles from him, and he's a real mythomaniac.
Not worth our time. Not even worth the wasted energy from laughing.

Theo Valich is one of the bright scientific minds behind reverse-hyperthreading:

So Reverse-Hyperthreading, a technology that combines two cores to work as one, is so spectacular that even a single core A64 3800+ can use it to combine its.. erm.. single core.. with a.. hum.. with an interdimensional quantum... duplicate and overcome an Intel dual-core with higher IPC.
Brilliant.
Oh. OH! I was reading that and thinking "Wow that's impress-NOOOOO!!!"

Back