PlayStation 4 (codename Orbis) technical hardware investigation (news and rumours)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I read that it's a R32C/118 but still don't know what it's being used for.

Product Overview:

The R32C/116 Group, R32C/117 Group, and R32C/118 Group are based on the R32C/100 CPU Core and has 64 MB of address space. Maximum operating frequency is 64 MHz when using PLL synthesizer. A Flash memory version is available. Internal Flash memory is programmable on a single power source.

Key Features:

16-bit Multifunction Timer (Timers A and B, incl. three-phase motor control timer): 11
Serial Interface: Asynchronous/synchronous serial interface, 9 channels
Multi-master I2C-bus Interface: 1 channel
10-bit A/D Converter: 34 channels*
8-bit D/A Converter: 2
CRC Calculator
X-Y Converter
Intelligent I/O
Time Measurement (Input Capture): 16-bit x 16
Waveform Generation (Output Compare): 16-bit x 24*
Serial Interface
CAN Module compliant with ISO11898-1:
1 channel (R32C/117) / 2 channels (R32C/118), 32 mailboxes
DMAC: 4 channels
DMAC II: Can be activated by any peripheral interrupt sources
Watchdog Timer
External Interrupt Inputs: 14*
Clock Generation Circuits: Main clock, Sub clock, PLL, On-chip Oscillator
Oscillation Stop Detector
5V Tolerant Input
Voltage Detector (optional)
I/O Ports: 120*
Data Flash: 4 KB × 2 blocks
*: Spec of 144-pin version.

More than likely assisting with external device(s) I/O request, something possibly with the DS4 controller functionality, DS4 speaker audio output... but nothing dealing with graphics.

More than likely assisting with external device(s) I/O request, something possibly with the DS4 controller functionality, DS4 speaker audio output... but nothing dealing with graphics.

Of course it's not for graphics that's what the GPU is for LOL. I was wondering if it was being used for the Image processing for the camera or something like that.

Of course it's not for graphics that's what the GPU is for LOL. I was wondering if it was being used for the Image processing for the camera or something like that.

Just wanted to make sure that hidden "Vector Processor" nonsense didn't pop up in this thread... :LOL: ;)

But yes, it might be related to the PS4-EYE functionality as well.

I find it more interesting that that chip has a CAN bus interface^^ go get a transceiver and put it into your car^^ (I know, it's a standard microcontroller, but still).

So... now we only really need to know what kind of TruAudio, if any, really, PS4 has implemented in the CPU... but I doubt we'll ever really know.

Just wanted to make sure that hidden "Vector Processor" nonsense didn't pop up in this thread... :LOL: ;)

But yes, it might be related to the PS4-EYE functionality as well.

It does have an fpu. Seems XboxOne isn't the only one with tricks up their sleeves. ;)

So what is it for?

I don't give you list of all things what this little chip does, but back in December I traced some wires that goes from that chip to various power supplies and LEDs around the PS4 motherboard and posted about it in this very thread.

- Power management
- LED control
- maybe fan control

I don't give you list of all things what this little chip does, but back in December I traced some wires that goes from that chip to various power supplies and LEDs around the PS4 motherboard and posted about it in this very thread.

- Power management
- LED control
- maybe fan control

Ok :cool:

My PS4 has a serious design flaw; 70Watt standby downloading??

Why include a secondary ARM processor then?

My guess is the ARM chip is too weak for the decryption or something like that, so they just have the full PS4 almost completely powered up.. which is super lame. What do you guys think?

edit:
would you, if the decryption is the problem, rather have the PS4 download an encrypted file at 4-5 watts, and then after downloading: powering up to 70watts for a few minutes to decrypt the file? or just have it decrypt the file when the user powers up the console, if that means losing the ability to start a game for a few minutes?

-or-

just leave it the way it is, and have the PS4 download a 30GB file for a few hours @ 70 watts?

Last edited by a moderator:
My PS4 has a serious design flaw; 70Watt standby downloading??
Who cares, and why?

The fan is completely inaudible @70W, and it's back to standby as soon as it's finished downloading. At 5 cents per kw-h it cost one cent of electricity per $60 game. And that's only if the game didn't finish downloading during your gaming session.

Who cares, and why?

The fan is completely inaudible @70W, and it's back to standby as soon as it's finished downloading. At 5 cents per kw-h it cost one cent of electricity per $60 game. And that's only if the game didn't finish downloading during your gaming session.

It's not inaudible, but that was not my point. My point is they designed the console with this ARM processor in mind, only to find out it can't be used for one of the most basic operations: downloading games and updates.

My internet speed is capped at around 20Mbit, so downloading a game takes several hours at the minimum. Which is a terrible waste of energy IMO, as the system was designed to do that task with less than 1/10th of the energy it uses now!

Imagine 65 watt.. times 50.000.000 connected consoles (possible in a few years).. Imagine all the energy that is wasted. A number of technical engineers have been working for months to incorporate an ARM chip in the PS4 to prevent all this waste of energy, only to find out it cannot be used for this task. Again, that is a serious design flaw if it cannot be fixed in software

It does go with the overall immaturity of the consoles launched last November.
Other lapses with low-power features like instant resume and the high power floor for media playback hopefully just point to a lack of time to implement them satisfactorily while getting the more critical "get it running" feature, rather than something they can't fix.

Who cares, and why?

To be fair... German electricity prices are round about 6 or 7 times that (I am paying about 24cents/kwh).

But still... Sony announced that the "secondary chip" was supposed to allow just that... and now it really doesn't do it... yet. The standby mode is still buggy for me (haven't tried recently, so it could be fixed by now). Adding downloads via the website of PSN doesn't lead to the console actually downloading it, only when switching it on does it start... which is a bit... backwards it seems (PS3 can do it, when you enable PS+ auto update).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back