PlayStation 4 (codename Orbis) technical hardware investigation (news and rumours)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the PS4 be easier hacked compared to the PS3? Seeing as the architecture is much more familiar this time round.
That I wonder too. I think hackers are certainly going to try with the PS4 and with the Xbox One, just like they did with the WiiU, for the challenge at least.

I don't expect another XMBC coming out because of them trying, but neither do I expect them just sitting idly by and do nothing.

FOR_BLOG_CXD90026G_die_151197_PolyB_branded.png

Full list of chips from Toms

The chips inside include the eight-core 64-bit AMD Jaguar CPU and Radeon GPU we heard about previously. This is working alongside 16 x 512 MB of Samsung GDDR5 RAM (total is 8 GB), Samsung's K4B2G1646E-BCK0 2 Gb DDR3 SDRAM, and a secondary processor for network tasks.

Check the full list of chips below:

• SCEI CXD90026G SoC (includes AMD "Jaguar" CPU Cores and Radeon GPU)
• Samsung K4G41325FC-HC03 512 MB GDDR5 RAM (total of 16 x 512 MB = 8 GB)
• SCEI CXD90025G Secondary/Low Power Processor for Network Tasks
• Samsung K4B2G1646E-BCK0 2 Gb DDR3 SDRAM
• Macronix MX25L25635FMI 256 Mb Serial Flash Memory
• Marvell Wireless Avastar 88W8797 7 Integrated 2x2 WLAN/Bluetooth/FM Single-Chip SoC
• Panasonic MN86471A HDMI Communication LSI
• Marvell 88EC060-NN82 Ethernet Controller
• SCEI 1327KM44S
• Genesys Logic GL3520 USB 3.0 Hub Controller
• Samsung K4G41325FC-HC03 4 Gb (512 MB) GDDR5 RAM
• International Rectifier 35858 N326P IC2X
• Macronix 25L1006E CMOS Serial Flash Memory
• Renesas SCEI RJ832841FP1
• Microchip Technology 312 3536A

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/playstation-4-repair-guide-ps4-teardown-ifixit,25093.html

According to that list PS4 has 8.5 GB GDDR5, I have checked the original site, ifixit, and there are only 16, so 8GB.

One thing is unaccounted for though, on the underside of the pcb there's something right at the bottom that looks quite substantial that has not been identified, anyone know what it is?
Wow, really a beautiful design. They even managed to get it close to symmetric.
Is it possible to identify if it's pitcairn, tahiti or Cape Verde from that?

Is it possible to identify if it's pitcairn, tahiti or Cape Verde from that?

It's none. It's a chip in the same family as Bonaire and Hawaii put part way inbetween both.

If it were released on the PC in it's fully enabled form at a decent clock speed it would be be a straight replacement for the 270/270x. It's a shame we didn't get this instead of the current 270/270x which lacks the slightly more advanced IP as well as TrueAudio.

This should be pointed out, According to the FCC filing for both the PS4 Dev Kit (https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=435177&fcc_id=AK8DUTD1000) & the retail PS4 (https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=583848&fcc_id=AK8CUH100C1), the PS4 is supposed have Bluetooth 4.0 in addition to Bluetooth 2.1 +EDR. On both of those links, the info is in the last .pdf file called "FCC 15C Report". It should be on page 5.

Now that it's confirmed that the wireless radio in the PS4 is a "Marvell Wireless Avastar 88W8797", we can 100% confirm that the PS4 has Bluetooth 4.0. Here's a link for the .pdf file info on the Marvell Wireless Avastar 88W8797 SoC:
http://www.marvell.com/wireless/assets/marvell_avastar_88w8797.pdf

ohhh.png
I wonder why Sony doesn't list Bluetooth 4.0 as a tech spec feature on the PS4.

Very, very weird to hook SATA up via USB. So if HDD interface is substantially slower than 3Gbit SATA as alledged by some, we are looking at USB 2.0 being used for disk I/O? That's pretty fuken depressing in a 2013 device...

Very, very weird to hook SATA up via USB. So if HDD interface is substantially slower than 3Gbit SATA as alledged by some, we are looking at USB 2.0 being used for disk I/O? That's pretty fuken depressing in a 2013 device...

It's USB 3.0 to SATA, the bridge doesn't hit 3GBit in practice, or at least didn't on the benchmarks I've seen.

Interesting that there is no large amount of Flash built in for OS use. Early rumors suggested there would be 16GB on board. Maybe that was back when it was supposed to have 4GB and they thought they'd have to rely heavily on tombstoning to Flash storage for task switching. With the upgrade to 8GB they had the opportunity to reserve more actual memory for multitasking, and the opportunity to partially offset the additional GDDR5's cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back