PlayStation 4 (codename Orbis) technical hardware investigation (news and rumours)

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Love_In_Rio, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Betanumerical

Veteran

4CU's seems rather excessive its not doing anything that requires anywhere near that much power.

2. patsu

Legend

I don't think the entire UI is HTML5 too, but the community part -- which is the selling point -- should be. It makes for a more interesting experience. If done well, I think I will love it. That's why I want to check it out.

As for resources for running a mobile web browser, you can run it on Vita CPU and GPU (512 MB RAM) with a few tabs of full websites opened, and other apps in the background. The PS4 XMB should be simpler and perhaps only 1 tab.

3. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Whatever the case, I am sure being a really fast x64 environment will help plenty with HTML5 rendering. As you may recall there is an HTML5 version of Cut-the-Rope that runs perfectly smooth in most browsers on PC ...

4. Cjail

Cjail Fool
    Veteran

"PlayStation Dynamic Menu" looked very fast in the latest presentation.
    Unless they faked it, and I doubt it, there's no reason to believe it will be slower than XMB.

5. patsu

Legend

It's harder to tell now. Need to wait for the rollout with millions of users hitting PSN. Part of the response will depend on the server and network performance.

If we can get a closer look at TGS, it would give some idea how the live info are gathered.

6. Tchock

Regular

The pretext for avoiding HTML in interfaces was the performance on mobile ARM cores (and we're not talking about the high end insomuch those horrid Mediatek CPUs).

On a desktop-class browser/toolkit it should do fine. One word of caution though- Sony doesn't always do the best embedded Webkit browsers (PSP/3/V)

7. Statix

Newcomer

Steven ter Heide from Guerilla says Killzone: Shadow Fall is currently running at "far above 30 frames" per second, and are "aiming at 60."

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...-challenges-at-launch-are-just-the-beginning/

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread about how some Sony studios were getting performance breakthroughs with the PS4; maybe this is related? I do wonder about the possibility of any (minor or otherwise) tweaks to hardware, clock speeds, and/or OS efficiency as the hardware has matured and hit final production.

8. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

My indie dev friend said his devkit, which is an earlier model, was 10% slower than the latest versions. That's got to be on the hardware level. Improvements to the system software and such could improve things a little more, on top of the developers' experience with extracting better utilisation of new hardware.

9. Rangers

Legend

Penello in his latest GAF posts the last couple days is making comparisons based on a 1.6/800 PS4. Such as, "we have 10% faster CPU, our CU's are clocked 6% higher"

I dont know, seems as good a recent semi-confirmation as any.

When guys like Cerny or Penello make hardware comments, I pay attention because they are probably clued in to the opposition as well. EG, Cerny probably has an idea what XBO performance is like, from third party contacts, and I expect the same from Penello with PS4.

10. Betanumerical

Veteran

Considering that Penello said multiple times he does not have knowledge of the PS4 clock rates, I wouldn't take that as fact.

11. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Philosopher & Poet
    Veteran

Penello also specifically mentioned he has no actual knowledge of the final PS4 clockspeed and he's just extrapolating from the same information everyone has (that is 7 months old).

12. Rangers

Legend

Well, also PS4 is shipping final hardware now.

And we've received zero indication or even rumors of increased clocks.

13. DJ12

Veteran

Penello seems to have very limited technically knowledge, has to ask someone for technical details and you are taring him with the same brush as cerny who was responsible for the design of the ps4 and has knowledge exuding from every orifice probably recounting each ps4 technical detail backwards.

This doesn't add up but fits your agenda so I guess its understandable.

14. Rangers

Legend

It's not that old. I posted a slide from Sony themselves at GDC Europe Aug 19-21 delineating 800 mhz GPU clock.

15. Betanumerical

Veteran

Yes we know the GPU but we not the CPU clock speed, to take a non-technical competitor's employee lack of saying that they do have a upclock as a fact that they don't, is a bit of a stretch.

16. Love_In_Rio

Veteran

This 10% fits with going from a 1,6GHz CPU to a 1,75GHz one.

17. Love_In_Rio

Veteran

The same could be said before the February event about the memory, and in one day it doubled, at least for the general public and most of the developers.

18. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Philosopher & Poet
    Veteran

So was the Xbox One mere days after they publicized the upgrade.

There have been multiple rumors on this very forum about an upgrade the the CPU clock, usually to between 1.8 and 2 Ghz. If Sony were more desperate for good press maybe they'd say something. Maybe they'll never say at all. We've never gotten clockspeeds for Vita, after all.

19. Aeoniss

Regular

I was also under the impression that PS4 would need some kind of GPU reserve, but my friends with technical knowledge (not 'insider' knowledge!) stated that this likely wasn't the case, unlike the Xbox One, as it isn' doing any kind of 'Snap' features or what not.

They said that the PS4 devs should have 100% access to the whole GPU.

Of course, if anybody could clarify\correct this I would greatly appreciate it.

20. onQ

onQ
    Veteran

LOL how can you take someone from Microsoft words as a confirmation for the PS4 specs when he had to go & ask questions about the Xbox One specs before he posted on Neogaf?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.