Pink Floyd, DTS, Soundstorm and digital receiver...

I'm using WAV-DTS samples that were downloaded from a Swedish website. Those are samples from a 5.1 radio station. These wouldn't work with Winamp 5.x nor PowerDVD, no matter how I configured them.

So I found this program: VLC Media Player 0.81. (www.videolan.org)

The first thing I did was to enable the Use SPDIF audio output when available. Wouldn't work. The receiver goes crazy between DTS and Dolby Pro Logic.

http://www.msbnet.com.br/pessoal/veritas/dts.jpg

So I disabled that option and to my surprise the wav-dts samples were played. DTS, 5.1 and awesome quality.

Note: my digital receiver would display "Dolby Digital" instead of "DTS". (it's a Sherwood New Castle R-756)

Note 2: one of those wav-dts samples didn't play... more tests to follow...

Note 3: still have to make those pink floyd flacs play.

To my understanding, some audio cards can only output 48kHz without any alteration (through SPDIF bypass). So DTS CD is a no go for them, since DTS CD uses 44.1kHz signal.
Basically, any processing to the signal will destroy DTS or AC3 signal.
A possible way to output DTS CD through a 48kHz SPDIF is to insert some blanks in between. I don't know whether it works or not, though. :p

Weird thing just happened. I've got Jethro Tull's Aqualung in DTS.

I used PowerDVD to play the file. It works. My receiver automatically switches to DTS.

However, the music is fast paced...

If I configure PowerDVD audio to "2 channel" or "4 channel", then the pace is normal. (The receiver switches to DD though, still 4 channels I hear).

What's wrong with DTS? The file is supposed to be DTS....

DTS CD's are 44.1KHz, but Soundstorm resamples everything to 48KHz, so it gets sped-up. I'm surprised it works at all though.

DTS DVD's are 48KHz, so they get passed properly.

Reznor007 said:
DTS CD's are 44.1KHz, but Soundstorm resamples everything to 48KHz, so it gets sped-up. I'm surprised it works at all though.

Why is foobar2000 playing the DTS?

mito said:
Reznor007 said:

Why is foobar2000 playing the DTS?

If it sounds right in Foobar it might have its own internal decoder and is not sending it through to your receiver.

Back