PCMark05 - Coming Soon!

Haven't seen this anywhere soooo!!!

We are pleased to announce we will soon release our next generation application-based benchmark - PCMark®05. PCMark05 is Futuremark's third installment of the popular PCMark series, and it’s a premium tool for measuring overall PC performance.

We are also announcing our new naming scheme for PCMark05 and all our future products.

* Basic: Freeware version with limited functionality
* Advanced: For Home use only with with extended functionality
* Professional: For Business use with full functionality and additional features

The naming scheme is new, but it’s the same great products!

http://www.futuremark.com/news/?newsarticle=200506/2005062107#200506/2005062107

Sorry for being such a sceptic/smartass, but why should anyone pay money for a program that tells you what sponsors' products you should upgrade your PC with? That's like...advertising. And ads usually come for free.

So this program sounds like shite/a con to me, but hey, I could be wrong.

I'm going to create a Mock program where it tests your PC and tells you the hardware you need...but lists my name and address and states to send only cash...or credit card numbers...

>.>

Don't worry...you'll be recieving that new SATA 280GIG harddrive...sure you will....

<.<

Number of ads per program and available features:

3dmark2001 - none, full functionality

3dmark2003 - none, limited functionality

3dmark05 - many, annoying window reminding you that you need to pay in order to get any functionality

BlueTsunami said:
I'm going to create a Mock program where it tests your PC and tells you the hardware you need...but lists my name and address and states to send only cash...or credit card numbers...

>.>

Don't worry...you'll be recieving that new SATA 280GIG harddrive...sure you will....

<.<

SOLD!!!! *starts writing a check*

:p

The original PC Mark was awful. It used to come up with inane advice like, "PC Mark detects you haven't got a CPU. To increase your scores please buy a CPU. Oh, and get some RAM too. Pink is my favourite colour!".

Forget it.

A lot of people have pay tv and they have adds on it. They pay for ad's. In fact cable viewers in the states complain there are no ads becuase the time taken to get thier fat asses of the couch to the fridge and back is longer than that between program intermissions and they don't want to miss one sec of 24.

PCMark doesn't suggest hardware....04 edition does not at least.

You guys are prolly thinking of the old XLR8R.

Please install LOADS OF CRAPPY SOFTWARE (Windows Media Player 10) in order to use PCMark05.

NO THANKS!

Was willing to test it, but it's a definitive NO.

PCMark04 required Windows Media Encoder 9 for its encoding tests. I don't see it as much of a downside to benchmark WMV/WMA across rigs.

ANova said:
Number of ads per program and available features:

3dmark2001 - none, full functionality

3dmark2003 - none, limited functionality

3dmark05 - many, annoying window reminding you that you need to pay in order to get any functionality

Eh, 01 and 03 both have ads, otherwise I'd have never heard of Falcon Northwest. You know, "You'd be done by now if you were running on a Falcon" despite that the tests take a set amount of time to complete.

Be warned this one can take a while to run 'cause of HD testing and it is no where near as fun to watch as the 3dm series.

The falling boxes were nice though, very zippy for me with heavy AA & AF.

(I forgot to turn it off and I don't think I'll bother running it again....I've kind of lost faith in FM. :( )

Fox5 said:
Eh, 01 and 03 both have ads, otherwise I'd have never heard of Falcon Northwest. You know, "You'd be done by now if you were running on a Falcon" despite that the tests take a set amount of time to complete.
The time they take to complete depends on how fast your system is though; they have a set amount of calculations to perform, how rapidly your system completes those calculations is how they measure performance.

When me and my wife's PCs were pretty even I used to have benchy races where I'd start 3dm2k1se on both rigs at the exact same time and see who'd finish first. :LOL: (Happy memories, they both broke 3k the same night too)

WMP 10 is not crappy from what I have seen. it is the only vid player besides Quicktime that I need for Trillian that I have installed on my machine. Divx, Xvid and so on movie files play thru it. If I wanna watch a dvd then I get to use Powerdvd 6. I dont understand the big deal about people claiming WMP 10 to suck.

suryad said:
I dont understand the big deal about people claiming WMP 10 to suck.
I'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark and guess the "WMP" part of it a whole lot more than the "10" bit. ;)

I don't know, personally I use MPC. :)

suryad said:
WMP 10 is not crappy from what I have seen. it is the only vid player besides Quicktime that I need for Trillian that I have installed on my machine. Divx, Xvid and so on movie files play thru it. If I wanna watch a dvd then I get to use Powerdvd 6. I dont understand the big deal about people claiming WMP 10 to suck.

Why not give MPC a try? One player instead of the three you use now.

suryad said:

WMP 10 auto-installs over WMP 9 if you don't pay attention to your settings. So it kind of installs like a spyware, but you can't remove it! And it doesn't seem to do anything over WMP 9 except worsen the already complicated and cluttered interface.

but all my video goes through MPC ;)

Meh, xbmc overrules. No worries about codecs, got a video file? It plays if the cpu can handle it.

Back