Pack in controllers for next gen systems

Games like Tekken and Street Fighter for me wouldn't typically work without a connected setup - I hold the DS3 in my left hand, and use my index and middle finger freely hovering above the action buttons on the right to be able to make quick combos and alternations. I don't know if this is typical for others, but it's a good example of where a broken down control scheme would ... break down (for me at least).

Ah, that's a point. I do similar, using weird right-hand contortions to hit button combos. That's why a transformable controller is really needed here. C'mon, it's next gen! Let's advance the state-of-the-art!

Sony need to integrate analog into the Move motion controller.
Perhaps something like this? ;)
2v1t65s.png

Apart from the fact we won't have finger-tracking technology as sensitive as a dual-stick input next gen, it's not a matter or input accuracy but actual usability. Shooters want buttons. Hard-core Halo and Gears and MW players aren't going to be happy to point at the screen shouting ratatatat to shoot, or wiggling their thumb up and down. And do really feel pretending to hold a controller is going to work even if the accuracy were there? You think players are going to be happy moving their thumbs in mid-air and squeezing non-existent analogue triggers?

Something to hold and interact with is essential for some experiences. A console that forgoes buttons is marginalising its userbase. If you only offer arm-waving Minority Report interfaces, you lose all the gamers who come home from work and just want to sit back and relax playing their games. As there's no need to forgo buttons as they work perfectly alongside camera interfaces giving the best of both worlds, you want both packed in from the off. If I were to pick one over the other, I'd pick the conventional controller as you can do more with it for comfortable sit-down gamers, although this gen I was hoping and expecting Sony to bundle a camera with the PS3 as it's clearly the best situation for everyone.

For the time being it would be more like playing DDR but with your hands. A virtual controller wasn't a suggestion but more an idea of the possible level of precision generations down the line. They could use finger tracking for a virtual trigger down the line but they'd want the player to be imitating holding a rifle instead of a controller. This is following the pattern of their racing game implementation.

Ah, that's a point. I do similar, using weird right-hand contortions to hit button combos. That's why a transformable controller is really needed here. C'mon, it's next gen! Let's advance the state-of-the-art!

Well in that spirit, we could decide not to play stupid decades old games like Tekken or SF and go for more modern innovations like Sports Champions Gladiator Duel type affairs instead ... I'm only even half joking - I'm enjoying that far more than any 'recent' fighting game (none of them have advanced much in the last 15 years). For me a Gladiator Duel type experience is the answer, or at least a good answer, to the question "what's next?" (And let's be honest - these games don't even need analog sticks).

I'm sure controllers will make big strides forward, but I'm also pretty sure that a lot of people will want to stick to a traditional dual analog for games that were designed for them. For a new console though, I hope we'll have something like dual move as the default, and a navcon or DS3 as an alternative that's only used for more retro style games. Particularly for a next-gen system, I'm sure a Move type device can become precise enough to be able to control anything.

Perhaps when they can make a small marble shaped/sized device that can track itself in space 100% with mm accuracy and send it's position wirelessly, you could put these on your thumbs and rest those on anything you like to comfortably tilt them in lieu of an analog stick - perhaps they could even be made to register pressure or allow clicking. I have no idea what will come, but now that all three platforms are going motion controls, I'm sure we'll see some nice advancements a lot faster than in recent years.

Games like Tekken and Street Fighter for me wouldn't typically work without a connected setup - I hold the DS3 in my left hand, and use my index and middle finger freely hovering above the action buttons on the right to be able to make quick combos and alternations. I don't know if this is typical for others, but it's a good example of where a broken down control scheme would ... break down (for me at least).

For games like that you can buy a second controller , joy sticks and fight pads seem to have become popular.

Its not like Those games are hugely popular anymore.

Back