OMG I hope this is true!

london-boy said:
All drives are supposed to be compatible with any disc format previously released, apart from LPs.

Both BR and HDDVD use blue lasers, which means they need special lenses to be able to read DVDs and CDs. But they're both backward compatible.
As i said, the only advantage of HDDVD was the time release and apparently lower price.

I had previously thought that the blue ray discs were a different physical size making backwards compatibility much more difficult.

Fruitfrenzy said:
london-boy said:
All drives are supposed to be compatible with any disc format previously released, apart from LPs.

Both BR and HDDVD use blue lasers, which means they need special lenses to be able to read DVDs and CDs. But they're both backward compatible.
As i said, the only advantage of HDDVD was the time release and apparently lower price.

I had previously thought that the blue ray discs were a different physical size making backwards compatibility much more difficult.

Nope. In fact there were ven talks of making hybrid HDDVD/BlueRay, before unifying the format. That would have been players that can read both formats. Guess we won't need those anymore.

Here's my simple solution: Sell Blu Ray discs and call it HD DVD. :p

No fees for patent holding firms to each other and 50-50 split from 3rd party manufacturers.

Problem solved now pump out the HW and LOTR HD for xmas! :mrgreen:

pax said:
Here's my simple solution: Sell Blu Ray discs and call it HD DVD. :p

No fees for patent holding firms to each other and 50-50 split from 3rd party manufacturers.

Problem solved now pump out the HW and LOTR HD for xmas! :mrgreen:

That would be kinda difficult because Blu-ray was never submitted to the DVD Forum which created HD DVD...

I see this future single format using HD DVD disc structure and the HD DVD name with maybe Blu-ray recording technology.

pax said:
Would that increase toshiba's hd dvd capacity? 50 gig dual layer would nice...

It would increase capacity but I'm guessing to ~ 45GB dual layer since using existing HD DVD technology they're already up to 32GB dual layer.

45 gig of mpeg4 is good enough for me! I wonder if it'll allow quad layer on one side like blu ray... We should get news of that soon I suppose.

I just hope they dont try mpeg2 hd... rumor was it bluray was doing that...

I don't think quad layering will be possible. Just a hunch though. My guess is dual layer single sided or quad layer double sided. No they're only going to use MPEG2 for DVD backwards compatibility, this I'm positive about. Both MPEG4 and VC-1 for HD will be in the unified format.

do what i'm going to do , buy whatever is cheapest and had the movies you want at the time .

THats it . At the end of the day 32gigs or 50gigs is close enough not to matter , its 18gigs and if discs drop quick enough in price they will be 50 discs for 25$ so in the end its not a big deal esp if bluray trys to keep a premium on discs because of the higher storage space.

Now if it was 32gigs vs say 80 or 90 gigs that would be a huge diffrence and i would wait for the 80 or 90 gig format

Back