OMG I hope this is true!

pax said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22689

SONY AND TOSHIBA are officially in talks to see if they can merge their two competing DVD standards and head off another BetaMax-VHS style war.

Now only price and analog output will remain an issue for me... :?

So it's gonna be a HDDVD with the capacity of BlueRay? That's just... BlueRay...
Might as well say "we're gonna dump HDDVD cause BDROM is just better".

Then again, this is the Inquirer...
they will probably come up with a hybrid of both systems that takes advantage of each's strengths.

Again, looks like BDROM might be the sole survivor, cause the only thing keeping HDDVD alive was the fact that it was released earlier and that it was slightly cheaper to produce.
Technically, there are no advantages to HDDVD over BDROM.

Simply it will be some importing of toshiba technology so toshiba can get $$$ from licences and then give support to blue ray.

nutball said:
So it won't be a repeat of /DVD[-+]R(W|AM)/ then? Sounds like a sensible move.

One standard will be a good thing, very good thing.
But the situation with DVD+/-R/RW/RAM/WithSugar/NoChocolate is not that bad. Apart from RAM, most drives are compatible with all standards, more or less.

But yeah, one standard is good. Just as long as it doesn't become a BlueRay+/-/R/RW/RAM/Whatever, it's good.

london-boy said:
But the situation with DVD+/-R/RW/RAM/WithSugar/NoChocolate is not that bad. Apart from RAM, most drives are compatible with all standards, more or less.

It's bad enough... it confused the hell out of me when I came to buy a DVD writer (not because I'm thick, but because I couldn't be arsed to disentangle it). The situation wrt drives is as you say not a big showstopper these days, but there is a superfluous choice that needs to be made when it comes to media. Besides, I've been burned enough over the years with assertions of total compatibilty to be sceptical!

I just pity the poor consumer in PC World, or similar. Or even non-tech-literate people just asking their tame geeks for advice...

Q: Which should I buy?
A: Any of them, they're all the same.
Q: Yes... but which should I buy?

All this choice thing is bad, what we need is a planned political economy!!! :D

nutball said:
london-boy said:

It's bad enough... it confused the hell out of me when I came to buy a DVD writer (not because I'm thick, but because I couldn't be arsed to disentangle it). The situation wrt drives is as you say not a big showstopper these days, but there is a superfluous choice that needs to be made when it comes to media. Besides, I've been burned enough over the years with assertions of total compatibilty to be sceptical!

I just pity the poor consumer in PC World, or similar. Or even non-tech-literate people just asking their tame geeks for advice...

DICTATORSHIP! That's what we need.

london-boy said:
nutball said:
london-boy said:

DICTATORSHIP! That's what we need.

I don't like teh first syllable of that word... :!:

london-boy said:
pax said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22689

SONY AND TOSHIBA are officially in talks to see if they can merge their two competing DVD standards and head off another BetaMax-VHS style war.

Now only price and analog output will remain an issue for me... :?

So it's gonna be a HDDVD with the capacity of BlueRay? That's just... BlueRay...
Might as well say "we're gonna dump HDDVD cause BDROM is just better".

Then again, this is the Inquirer...
they will probably come up with a hybrid of both systems that takes advantage of each's strengths.

Again, looks like BDROM might be the sole survivor, cause the only thing keeping HDDVD alive was the fact that it was released earlier and that it was slightly cheaper to produce.
Technically, there are no advantages to HDDVD over BDROM.

Blu-ray depends on it's physical disc structure to allow higher capacity. The blue laser part is moot since both Blu-ray and HD DVD uses blue lasers. If Blu-ray disc structure were similar to HD DVD or DVD then it wouldn't be Blu-ray anymore get it? If PRML which is used in HD DVD but not used in Blu-ray is used in this newer single format, it could boost Blu-ray capacity even more.

Sony is said to have proposed using Blu-ray's disc structure and HD DVD software technology. Toshiba has presented the idea of using HD DVD's disc structure, which is closer to that of current DVDs, and employing Sony's multi-layer data-recording technology, the report said.

Now just pipe down and stop assuming ok?

Are Blueray drives (as currently specified) physically compatible with standard DVD ?

I had thought that one of the advantages of HD-DVD over Blueray was backwards compatibility but I could be wrong.

Fruitfrenzy said:
Are Blueray drives (as currently specified) physically compatible with standard DVD ?

I had thought that one of the advantages of HD-DVD over Blueray was backwards compatibility but I could be wrong.

All drives are supposed to be compatible with any disc format previously released, apart from LPs.

Both BR and HDDVD use blue lasers, which means they need special lenses to be able to read DVDs and CDs. But they're both backward compatible.
As i said, the only advantage of HDDVD was the time release and apparently lower price.

sytaylor said:
london-boy said:
sytaylor said:
london-boy said:
sytaylor said:
For soem reason writte like tha it sounds like it shoul bi said wi an irish accent there.

were dyd u lorn to spel :devilish: :LOL:

LOL!, "lorn" works perfectly, you phonetic foreigner you!

I did study languages. I can speak perfect Gaysh.

AHA! lingo studier huh? The welsh speak very good gayish apperntly, is this true?

I fin k'your ron.

Back