Official Sony E3 press conference thread

Yeah, I didn't say there weren't. I'm a 360 owner, I already know what those are. But I'll post them if it will make you happy: Xbox Live is extra, wireless networking is extra, Bluray is extra, etc. Like I said, I got educated with regard to PS3. Aren't you excited? ;)

Not really.... [size=-2]unless you buy a me a PSN game :p[/size]

For the PS3 headset, you should be able to get by with your current Bluetooth headset for your cellphone. You can get one bundled with Socom too. I think the official one is coming in October. If you have a spare USB keyboard, I'd recommend plugging it into the PS3 as well.

The 80Gb should be able to last you for a while. I am still on my 60Gb with 30 over trailers, 10-20 PSN games + game demoes, plus more than 10 BR games installed.

I'd rather think that switching over to the 80GB platters is a matter of convenience on the BOM. i.e. the cost of producing 80GB platters is either on par or cheaper than the 40GB.

Wasn't there a theory of how MS introduced new 60GB pro as to counter possible appeal of 40GB PS3. Sony's move seems to be consistent with that.

Anway, PS3 SKUs are now officially clusterf. The harddrives were used to differentiate SKUs but now that they've run out of reasonable numbers of multiples of 20, we see different motherboards with the same harddrive.

Not really.... [size=-2]unless you buy a me a PSN game :p[/size]

OK, If I ever buy a PS3, I'll buy you a cheap PSN game. How's that? ;) Offer expires December 31, 2008

For the PS3 headset, you should be able to get by with your current Bluetooth headset for your cellphone. You can get one bundled with Socom too. I think the official one is coming in October.

The 80Gb should be able to last you for a while. I am still on my 60Gb with 30 over trailers, 10-20 PSN games, plus more than 10 BR games installed.

I don't have a Bluetooth headset. I've the wired style. Rather use one of those. More comfy on the ear. Plus, I already have too many things you have to charge.

Tommy McClain

I think they had a bad first party showing. All the games we get this year we already knew about since the start of this year. Why waste all this time on third party's when first party's are what makes them stand out from Mircosoft. Let third party's sell themselves.

I'm glad they finally start to take the PSP more seriously. Resistance retribution was the highlight of the show for me. Is Bend Studio a new developer within Sony? I would like to hear a bit more about them.

I think they had a bad first party showing. All the games we get this year we already knew about since the start of this year. Why waste all this time on third party's when first party's are what makes them stand out from Mircosoft. Let third party's sell themselves.

Well I mean, I think the reason for the third-party stuff was obvious; it was filler to make up for the lack of first-party and/or other exclusives to fill the reels with.

MS simply did a better job in terms of bringing the audience into their offerings, whereas Sony's game offerings - limited even as they were - were a very passive experience.

Well I mean, I think the reason for the third-party stuff was obvious; it was filler to make up for the lack of first-party and/or other exclusives to fill the reels with.

MS simply did a better job in terms of bringing the audience into their offerings, whereas Sony's game offerings - limited even as they were - were a very passive experience.

I think supporting three platforms is taking its toll on SONY.

Most people will never see these shows, the most they will see is a laundry list of upcoming stuff. I'm not sure how it matters who was the best at PR and showmanship.

For myself the only important take away is what new stuff did I find out about and when is it coming out. In that sense very little was new for the PS3/PSP/360 (the consoles I own).

Some Movie game
Lips

PS3
MAG

PSP
Resistance PSP

I think that's it, everything else was already known.

OK, If I ever buy a PS3, I'll buy you a cheap PSN game. How's that? ;) Offer expires December 31, 2008

:LOL:

I don't have a Bluetooth headset. I've the wired style. Rather use one of those. More comfy on the ear. Plus, I already have too many things you have to charge.

I believe USB ones work too. For example, the PS Eye is a USB camera + mic. I used it before I bought Warhawk (plus Bluetooth headset).

As for Versus, I mean I'm not following this day-to-day, but when was the last time anyone even heard anything official on this game? Personally I wouldn't bank on it being exclusive when it ultimately debuts. Maybe it will, but I think it's best to set expectations; better to be positively surprised than negatively.

Last I heard was from Nomura a month or two ago, saying that much of the Versus staff was helping out on FFXIII, so development on Versus was paused.

Deep's predictions:

Home will be up within the next week or so.
Wardevil will be shown.
ICO game trailer.
Heavy Rain trailer.
GOW3 teaser trailer (just a zoom out of Kratos's face and "God of War 3 March 2009)
Resistance 2 Gameplay
Killzone 2 Gameplay
New LBP features
Warhawk New Pack (Parachutes?)

I got three right lol.

But the best conference out of the three. Lots of new stuff. Microsoft's was about games we already new about until FFXIII...which for some will put that conference above the rest.

Last I heard was from Nomura a month or two ago, saying that much of the Versus staff was helping out on FFXIII, so development on Versus was paused.

There we go then, I would view everything through that lens, and for me... that lens does not obviate future PS3 exclusivity. I just think the whole "FFXIII Versus is still exclusive" line of retort is part of the problem, and helps set fanfolk up for days like yesterday to begin with.

There we go then, I would view everything through that lens, and for me... that lens does not obviate future PS3 exclusivity. I just think the whole "FFXIII Versus is still exclusive" line of retort is part of the problem, and helps set fanfolk up for days like yesterday to begin with.

To be fair, Sony also pimped the hell out of FF13. Fanboys generally feed from what their favorite brand is feeding them. If it wasn't for the MS bombshell, I'm quite sure it would have been pimped again this year.

Uh. But they left out First Party titles....so it's not that they don't have them. And they have plenty of exclusives, but they might not want to show them yet.

How can they have a lack of first party games with so many internal developers? I bet Team Ico is working on something, and where was White Knight Story or something new from the folklore developers. SCEJ was pretty much absent.

And showing the same third party games as Mircosoft isn't going to excite anyone. I thought they had learned that lesson last year. Thats the downside of having the last showing, the upside should have been some big unexpected announcement at the end. As thats the part most people are likely to remember.

So, seems there are some interesting games coming.. at some point.

And there is some very good games coming sooner than those :)

Any mentioning of dates on Home? and did they mention any numbers on the movies. A good thing would be if they keep the "download again" option on the movies you buy so you can delete them from the Harddrive but download them yet again.

I think i will be the rental guy, IF i can rent movies on my US account eventhough i live in Europe. Better stash some money on that account before they start checking origin on the creditcards...

If we remove Jack from the presentation, it does look like there is more life in the PS3 than he made it look like.
But no megaton...

How can they have a lack of first party games with so many internal developers? I bet Team Ico is working on something, and where was White Knight Story or something new from the folklore developers. SCEJ was pretty much absent.

I think projects work in the background, and duck back down - Zipper showing up with MAG all of the sudden for instance, and likewise previously shown projects like 8 Days and the Getaway just becoming disappeared altogether.

So... no doubt there are 1st party projects that are being worked on, but IMO if they're not here at E3, they're probably not here for 2008 at all. Perhaps TGS will show some last minute surprises for the year, or reveal what SCEJ is up to in general. I mean I'm sure there's some great title we haven't heard of yet in 2009, but... that's not the scope of this discussion per se.

Like I said I'm personally happy enough, but:

And showing the same third party games as Mircosoft isn't going to excite anyone.

That being obvious, I think it just reflects that they simply didn't have enough immediate-horizon exclusives to wow the audience with. 3rd partys, boring though they are, are still a better situation than not having many games to show at all in these game reels.

I prefer the MS strategy of focusing on the games I'll be able to play within' the next year, especially the titles over the next six months. It's nice to see one or two titles that are a long ways off, but it gets annoying when they never seem to materialize. Plus, it sets too many expectations.

I wasn't really blown away by any of the conferences, but MS getting FF13 was surprising. I thought Sony would have a big showing for God of War to counteract, but I guess that game is still a long ways off.

Ok, I got to see this one properly, a little later but LiveWire didn't care, can easily scroll backwards even to the Nintendo show and forwards into the Sony presentation which is nice.

Things I've liked:

Little Big Planet doing the stats. They couldn't just show the game again, and stats are boring. This makes a great point about how flexible the user content is. If I can, I'm determined to use it in a company presentation.
Resistance 2 (awesome! just ... awesome!)
PSN taking off pretty well (high membership uptake)
Ratchet's Quest for Booty and PSN games in general just being great fun and looking neat.
HD Gran Turismo TV (yes, including Top Gear ;) ) - August 1st isn't far away either
Home. Thanks to Microsoft, it's definitely going to be there soon now. ;) And love the gamespaces, the Resistance museum, Uncharted, seeing that the Warhawk warboard thing is actually reality (and not just Kotaku rumor)
Video store seems to take off pretty well with very decent studio support, but especially perfect also that you can put it on your PSP. With the PSP having good sales and popular in multimedia use that's bound to be noticed. The new listview is good too. And immediately available! Good stuff.......
Resistance PSP was surprising
Super Stardust PSP
Loco Roco 2 - love!
Patapon 2 looks awesome as well
Valkyria Chronicles looks awesome, though I don't think I'll play it
Buzz PSP, especially if it has online support as it seems to have and it can use the user created content for the PS3 as well
Google cooperation and Life with Playstation, especially also being available by the end of the month
MMOs, on console, and not just about Orcs, Elves. World in DC Universe looks a bit spare though.
Humor. This presentation has some that actually made me laugh. Next time, more!
Infamous looks neat
MAG - 256 player? Oomph! So that's what the Socom team (right?) has been up to!

Things I didn't like:

Mentioning Buzz without mentioning the user created questions
I don't care about the PS2 anymore :D
I wouldn't actually mind if they mentioned the 360 when discussing Trophies, maybe make a joke about Insomniac starting it all ;)
Video delivery service of course, as usual, probably not in Europe yet for far too long
Far too many shooting and first person games
I liked the presentation being partly in Home last year and wouldn't have minded seeing that return at least briefly. Not enough on Home in general. I want more. The Home trailer didn't show a lot, especially if you didn't know what you were seeing. They should have shown people in the Warhawk lounge and then launching into the game.
Where's the fucking EyeToy games? It's awesome, and I want more!
I should have been able to see E3 through PSN (ok actually not that bad, as even the EU PSN seems to have an E3 section now already with at least 5 trailers - edit: and 23 on US PSN)

Things I'm not sure about:

Not highlighting Killzone could be pretty clever - it was there on E3 for far too long. It's not MGS4 whose trailers never fail to amuse/impress. Still, I'd like to see it.
God of War 3 CG trailer. Meh.
Their quality control for PSN is nice, but I still wouldn't mind just getting more stuff on there in general, even if it isn't all that good. It should be easier, and release that free development kit for PC already.
80GB is ok, but price-cut is better, so I'm hoping they will announce that as well before Christmas
Sony is doing some great things, but they need to work even harder to make it interesting and easier for 3rd parties to join in on the fun. The developers support reel was nice, but as someone in there says 'if you've got really talented engineers, you can take the PS3 really far'. Right, but a lot of studios don't, and they need more help, and earlier. But I guess this isn't the conference to talk about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back