Official Sony E3 press conference thread

Most boring presentation ever, the only bit of worthy news is MAG, but even that was all CGI, making you wonder if they'll cancel it two years from now as well. Sony's only hopes seem to be LBP and Resistance for this fall, against Gears 2, Fable 2, and whatever Nintendo can come up with. This doesn't sound like the year of the PS3 so far.

Yeah Iam with you there is also some RPG's coming out Iam interested in on the 360. Another thing SE shows up at Microsofts presentation but not SONY's what going on with that:???:

Hmm... got to go, but I'll say this:

Sony, it may be time to get someone to help Tretton. His presentations thus far implied certain inadequacies in leadership. The entire presentation was poorly conceived and misdirected despite some good raw material. I think he has enough content but he keeps highlighting not so relevant points. Most importantly, I am not sure if he knows how to improve (since he obviously didn't seek assistance during the last 2 public presentations).

For the good part, I am interested in inFamous, DC Universe and the video store. R2 and LBP are already day one for me. MAG sounds like Planetside but I'll need more info.

Seeya

Hmm... got to go, but I'll say this:

Sony, it may be time to get someone to help Tretton. His presentations thus far implied certain inadequacies in leadership. The entire presentation was poorly conceived and misdirected despite some good raw material. I think he has enough material but he keeps highlighting not so relevant points. Most importantly, I am not sure if he knows how to improve (since he obviously didn't seek assistance during the last 2 public presentations).

For the good part, I am interested in inFamous, DC Universe and the video store. R2 and LBP are already day one for me. MAG sounds like Planetside but I'll need more info.

Seeya

Yeah I miss Phil...didn't he call Sucker Punch....Soccer Punch. He just doesn't seem like a gamer which tells me theres a disconnect, something like George Bush and poor people.

hm... IIRC (this time :p ), it would not be unlike what happened with GTA4 last year.

What else can Yoichi Wada say assuming he went to the Sony Keynote? :LOL:

"Yeah, sorry about yesterday's bombshell. But if its any consolation, versusXIII is still an exclusive...aaaand heres a trailer *plays on screen*"

The only remedy the guy could give would be to announce a FFVII remake or "We were just kidding yesterday. FFXIII is still exclusive *winks*". And we all know thats highly unlikely...

What steps are you referring to?

Well obviously I think the movie store announcement and immediate launch was a positive step, and the interplay with PSP is important. PSP support in general I would deem to have been 'strong' during the conference. There seemed to have been a number of PSN games shown as well, even if only Ratchet and Clank got a full segment. (can I mention also that Sony is quite indebted to Insomniac's efforts)

The 80GB SKU move is nice, I think it makes sense, and IMO it passes along to the consumer the reality that is an extremely marginal cost differential between a 40GB drive and an 80GB drive.

Little Big Planet always entices of course, even if I have to say it was a bit of a crutch this go-around, and MAG looks good to me. Beyond these I would have liked to have seen some more Killzone 2, Motorstorm 2, and something actually tangible from GOW 3. But not seeing them is not the same as not knowing they're coming, which of course I do. Home also seems always in the future, but that's not anything new either.

What I got was what I expected, in some areas I was positively surprised, the presentation was lacking, and some "surprises" I would've liked to see I didn't get.

I don't know, it gets a B from me in terms of keeping me satisfied as a PS owner, and a C in terms of the 'game' they brought to E3.

The only remedy the guy could give would be to announce a FFVII remake or "We were just kidding yesterday. FFXIII is still exclusive *winks*". And we all know thats highly unlikely...

Well I was honestly thinking S-E might be present, if only because they were at Microsoft's with the FFXIII announcement.

As for Versus, I mean I'm not following this day-to-day, but when was the last time anyone even heard anything official on this game? Personally I wouldn't bank on it being exclusive when it ultimately debuts. Maybe it will, but I think it's best to set expectations; better to be positively surprised than negatively.

I wonder if the 80gig release has the software emulation too? That's one of the selling points that people wanted. But I am not personally convinced.

Is this relevant for the thread? This is is console war BS.

Man, don't get your knickers in a bunch. It was relevant for 2 reasons: 1) They offer an exclusive game I am interested in. One that would make me consider purchasing a console for. 2) The new SKU they're offering has more gigs for less price than the competition. But that added value hides the fact you still have to buy extra components that you don't need to in the other. I got educated, yeah for me. LOL

Tommy McClain

I wonder if the 80gig release has the software emulation too? That's one of the selling points that people wanted. But I am not personally convinced.

Tretton said it was the same as the 40GB, so no. But even if he hadn't, I would have said "probably not" to that idea.

Man, don't get your knickers in a bunch. It was relevant for 2 reasons: 1) They offer an exclusive game I am interested in. One that would make me consider purchasing a console for. 2) The new SKU they're offering has more gigs for less price than the competition. But that added value hides the fact you still have to buy extra components that you don't need to in the other. I got educated, yeah for me. LOL

There are hidden costs on both consoles.

The Movie Store will be a plus for sure. But, lets wait and see if it actually works tonight. I have big basketful of doubt thinking something will be borked with it.

I'm interested in seeing some footage of DC, MAG and inFamous. They aren't big names, but the concepts sound pretty good.

I'd like to see the footage of Resistance2 as well. I wasn't blown away by the original, but it sounds like they've really invested in the franchise to push it as a top-tier game.

Reading the feed it sounded like a lot of mumbo jumbo that wasn't interesting to me, because I'm not interested in PS2 or the PSP.

Sounds like there was a lot of, "We're going to be awesome soon. You'll see!" and not a lot of, "We're awesome right now!"

I think people want BC more than more HD space and a packaged game wouldn't hurt either maybe GT5?

Including an extra 40gigs is not going to do it. Are they getting rid of the 80gig MSG4 bundle? If so that would be a big mistake.

There are hidden cost on both consoles.

Yeah, I didn't say there weren't. I'm a 360 owner, I already know what those are. But I'll post them if it will make you happy: Xbox Live is extra, wireless networking is extra, Bluray is extra, etc. Like I said, I got educated with regard to PS3. Aren't you excited? ;)

Tommy McClain

I think people want BC more than more HD space and a packaged game wouldn't hurt either maybe GT5?

Including an extra 40gigs is not going to do it. Are they getting rid of the 80gig MSG4 bundle? If so that would be a big mistake.

I'd rather think that switching over to the 80GB platters is a matter of convenience on the BOM. i.e. the cost of producing 80GB platters is either on par or cheaper than the 40GB.

I'd rather think that switching over to the 80GB platters is a matter of convenience on the BOM. i.e. the cost of producing 80GB platters is either on par or cheaper than the 40GB.

BOM = Bill of Materials

By the way, this was probably answered already but what prevents the 40gig from using emulation similar to the 80gig?

Back