Official Sony E3 press conference thread

Some Movie game
Lips

<snip>

I think that's it, everything else was already known.

There's more than that. But since this is a PS3 thread, I'll just say go view my laundry list posted in the MS thread.

Tommy McClain

I think projects work in the background, and duck back down - Zipper showing up with MAG all of the sudden for instance, and likewise previously shown projects like 8 Days and the Getaway just becoming disappeared altogether.

Have a sinking feeling that Sony traded off more unique titles like 8 Days for what is popular right now, which are military shooters (although, is MAG going to have an MMO model where you pay monthly to play online?).

There are a lot of admirers of LBP on the board. But who would have thought Sony would have to make it one of the showcased titles for this fall because there is little else in the exclusives dept.? It first came up as a novel, quirky game, trying to vie for attention in the world of shooter games. Now Sony is forced to put it up front and center?

@_@ Gah... LBP is destined to be in the centerfold the moment it was shown. No forcing is necessary.

Remember how LBP and Home (Game 3.0) turned Sony's bad rep around ?

Home. Thanks to Microsoft, it's definitely going to be there soon now. ;)

Yeah but this IMO is part of the problem; how does a situation even arise where Sony announces something as ambitious as Home, tell us they've been working on it for years, and somehow it lingers on such that MS is able to essentially come up with their own answer in the years time they're given before Sony even launches it? Obviously MS' thing is no where near as expansive or engrossing, but the fact is it may be ready sooner. That to me is just a dropped ball in terms of PR for Sony.

Where's the fucking EyeToy games? It's awesome, and I want more!

Which brings me to this... yeah, I'm with you. EyeToy to Tretton, at least so far as I can tell, is just something to refer to in a historical sense. Beyond Eye of Judgment, there is *no* real game support here, and even EoJ (which I love) can not come under the traditional game experience which I am referring to here. That MS might be the first to market with a camera-based party game this gen... what?

And let me tell you if Lips has a stronger downloadable library than SingStore, well... it'll be irksome! :p

It's stuff like this: when was the last time a good PS1 classic game was put on the PSN store?

Great ideas get created within this company, and somehow are allowed to languish. I don't know whayo exactly is responsible, but I want Jack Tretton replaced with someone that knows something about technology either way. ;)

There are a lot of admirers of LBP on the board. But who would have thought Sony would have to make it one of the showcased titles for this fall because there is little else in the exclusives dept.? It first came up as a novel, quirky game, trying to vie for attention in the world of shooter games. Now Sony is forced to put it up front and center?

Media's been going crazy about LBP ever since it was first shown.

That being obvious, I think it just reflects that they simply didn't have enough immediate-horizon exclusives to wow the audience with.

But hasn't this been the case since launch? How long has the marketing mantra of Sony been 'wait until next year'.

Last year, while the 360 was yet again focusing primarily on what would be available in 2007, Sony said '2008 will be the year of the PS3!'

Well, now 2008 is here. If you remember, this was supposed to be the year of 'dead air' for the 360, when the PS3 would demonstrate its superiority while the 360 essentially spent all its effort on 2007 and would then have to play catch-up in 2009 with its new titles.

Here's an open question for you: At what point in the lifecycle does 'just wait until next year...' become 'just wait until next console'?

Have a sinking feeling that Sony traded off more unique titles like 8 Days for what is popular right now, which are military shooters (although, is MAG going to have an MMO model where you pay monthly to play online?).

I'm with Patsu, LBP was always to be a huge deal; if you don't understand that yet wco81, you will. :)

Anyway the studios that were working on 8 Days and The Getaway aren't the same studio that's working on MAG, so those are separate efforts personnel and money-wise. My feeling is that they were simply canceled on their own merits (or lack thereof) with the feeling that those resources could be applied to something different. Whether it's a new project or assisting some of the others already in progress, who knows.

Here's an open question for you: At what point in the lifecycle does 'just wait until next year...' become 'just wait until next console'?

I don't think it does, at least not in this case. We know Sony has a bunch of big-profile first-party games lined up. We just aren't that sure about when we'll get them. If only because retooling games for next-gen probably is prohibitive.

I mean, Sony's mantra from now on is going to be 'first-person, first-person, first-person', because, really, the last huge third-party exclusive they'll probably get came out a couple of months ago.

But hasn't this been the case since launch? How long has the marketing mantra of Sony been 'wait until next year'.

Last year, while the 360 was yet again focusing primarily on what would be available in 2007, Sony said '2008 will be the year of the PS3!'

Well, now 2008 is here. If you remember, this was supposed to be the year of 'dead air' for the 360, when the PS3 would demonstrate its superiority while the 360 essentially spent all its effort on 2007 and would then have to play catch-up in 2009 with its new titles.

I'd note though that good games are here, however, and that 2008 will see the release of more good games as well.

If people are saying wait until 2009, that's a forum creation; Sony themselves was still saying 2008 today. So it's simply the case maybe that Sony's 2008 may be less impressive than Microsoft's 2008, even though this is still "the year" for Sony. But certainly with Home, Video Store, In-game XMB (aspects), LBP, MGS4, and Resistance 2... it's not like it'll have been a bad year, right? :)

Well I hope to be proven wrong but somehow, I don't think LBP will set the world on fire in terms of sales. Lair, HS, Uncharted all failed to, as new IP.

I guess you can say Sony is due to have a hit with a new, exclusive game. We'll see.

As for first-party games, I would assume Sony's budget is finite, especially with the losses they're enduring. Maybe those games just weren't being executed, but again, maybe Sony realized it wasn't worth fighting the tide, which in this generation signals shooters, shooters, shooters.

Watching the demo of killzone 2 , it looks like resistance 2. They are fighting in a warehouse level so perhaps its not the best judge of its graphics .

Well I hope to be proven wrong but somehow, I don't think LBP will set the world on fire in terms of sales. Lair, HS, Uncharted all failed to, as new IP.

I guess you can say Sony is due to have a hit with a new, exclusive game. We'll see.

As for first-party games, I would assume Sony's budget is finite, especially with the losses they're enduring. Maybe those games just weren't being executed, but again, maybe Sony realized it wasn't worth fighting the tide, which in this generation signals shooters, shooters, shooters.

I don't think its going to sell gang busters , but i'm sure it will sell well to the hardcore mabye like 500k units over the holiday but I think it will have good word of mouth and keep selling through the majority of this gen

Yeah but this IMO is part of the problem; how does a situation even arise where Sony announces something as ambitious as Home, tell us they've been working on it for years, and somehow it lingers on such that MS is able to essentially come up with their own answer in the years time they're given before Sony even launches it? Obviously MS' thing is no where near as expansive or engrossing, but the fact is it may be ready sooner. That to me is just a dropped ball in terms of PR for Sony.

Wasn't it at the last E3 or GDC where a third-party developer publicly asked a Sony presenter why he should develop for Home?

It sounds like a lot of work for 3rd-parties with unclear payoff. They'd make no more money from selling a PS3 game (with or without Home support) than from a X360 game.

Anyways, it sounds like they're busy building Home content for old games -- Resistance, Uncharted, Warhawk.

I'd rather than the Warhawk developers be working on a new game (sequel) than figuring out how to support Home. But maybe Warhawk didn't sell enough to greenlight a new project from them.

I don't think its going to sell gang busters , but i'm sure it will sell well to the hardcore mabye like 500k units over the holiday but I think it will have good word of mouth and keep selling through the majority of this gen

It also depends a lot on how user-based content works. Like someone else (maybe Tycho?) said, not many people used HL's SDK, but everyone else still got Counterstrike.

Uncharted all failed to, as new IP.

Uncharted didn't fail as an IP; how do these things propagate? Yes it didn't sell many millions, but it did cross the million mark, yeah?

Maybe those games just weren't being executed, but again, maybe Sony realized it wasn't worth fighting the tide, which in this generation signals shooters, shooters, shooters.

The shooters were a forgone conclusion. Besides, what depth of shooters can we even name here? Zipper (creators of SOCOM, itself a shooter) doing MAG is totally in-genre, Insomniac with Resistance is no surprise, and Killzone 2 is of course a fixture unto itself as well.

Shooters color the post-Halo 2 world in consoles (and gaming), but at the same time it's not as if all resources are being thrown at them. Insomniac creating one was an internal move, and obviously the platformers are still being supported, and as for Guerilla and Zipper Sony acquired them specifically to play in that niche.

Watching the demo of killzone 2 , it looks like resistance 2. They are fighting in a warehouse level so perhaps its not the best judge of its graphics .

Huh ? In what ways do they look alike ?

Correction. Uncharted, Resistance and MotorStorm are great IPs with follow ups.

Wasn't it at the last E3 or GDC where a third-party developer publicly asked a Sony presenter why he should develop for Home?

It sounds like a lot of work for 3rd-parties with unclear payoff. They'd make no more money from selling a PS3 game (with or without Home support) than from a X360 game.

Anyways, it sounds like they're busy building Home content for old games -- Resistance, Uncharted, Warhawk.

I'd rather than the Warhawk developers be working on a new game (sequel) than figuring out how to support Home. But maybe Warhawk didn't sell enough to greenlight a new project from them.

These are valid concerns. Over time Home integration should be easier and it provides additional values for end users. Cross platform developers like Bioshock is enticing people to double-dip with additional content + Home integration.

There may also be in-game ad opportunity. Not to mention it may help to sell the game as opposed to doing a full-blown demo.

Back