Official E3 Microsoft Conference Thread 2010

So forza is going to have special Kinect playtypes.
Sounds cool daddy gets the car sim and the kid can play the natal gametypes. Both can enjoy looking and peeking in and over every cranny the car has.

Halo will always sell good it has a fanbase bigger or equal to gran turismo.
And a buddy said when he heard about forza 4 that he will start counting down gt releases with forza's instead of years/decades.

Yeah i heard that gt 5 release date is within 2 forza's.

Just because you guys are of the opinion that it's boring won't actually make it true for everyone. The sales are strong, the demand is there, so there's no reason or reward for MS to abandon some of the best selling exclusive franchises of this generation in favor of some unknown, risky new startup.

Once they roll out their next console, it'll make a lot more sense to use the opportunities of a generational leap to also lay the groundwork for a new franchise.

I don't want to talk any more about this as I feel it silly when all the facts are pretty much on my side and opinions aren't up for debate. Come back when Reach fails to sell 8-10 million units.

Just because you guys are of the opinion that it's boring won't actually make it true for everyone. The sales are strong, the demand is there, so there's no reason or reward for MS to abandon some of the best selling exclusive franchises of this generation in favor of some unknown, risky new startup.

Obviously not, but nobody said anything about abandoning! They would be insane to just drop Gears or Halo at this point - Halo is definitely not dead and won't be for a long time, and Gears can definitely be at least a trilogy as well. But why not try something new as well?

Once they roll out their next console, it'll make a lot more sense to use the opportunities of a generational leap to also lay the groundwork for a new franchise.

Sure, but they'll still do a Halo. It's their Mario!

I don't want to talk any more about this as I feel it silly when all the facts are pretty much on my side and opinions aren't up for debate. Come back when Reach fails to sell 8-10 million units.

I'm not going to debate with you whether or not Reach sells 6, 8, 10 or even 15 million units! You're missing my point completely. :(

Again, do you seriously expect them to start a new, exclusive shooter franchise that can't really have anything to offer beyond what the already established titles have? The competition would bleed it out before its release. People want their Gears and Halo, at least for one more round. Why wouldn't it be more then enough?

Do you expect Sony to do so? Start a new, platform exclusive shooter franchise this late into the generation, against their existing ones? Or is it just general ranting against MS? :)

I personally do believe MS needs another first party/exclusive FPS. Even if you count Gears as a FPS, which to me it kind of slots as one for practical purposes, you're looking at just two first party published exclusive FPS on 360 vs Killzone, Socom, Resistance, and MAG on PS3. Even though all those PS3 titles have all repeatedly failed to catch on like a Halo, you're still looking at 4 franchises vs 2, and the funny thing it's X360 that is supposedly the flooded with shooters box!

I think MS just wants to focus on Halo to max it's sales, but I'd love to see another top notch FPS franchise from MS.

There is a rumor though, that Perfect Dark Zero 2 is the 2011 holiday headliner for MS...A rumor that smacks of truth to me.

To say that Halo is somehow succumbing to COD is laughable though. Halo 3's attach rate (percent of X360 owners who bought) was in the 50's, Modern Warfare 2's was 25 I believe. All signs are Reach is going to be ginormous. If it somehow doesn't turn out to be, then maybe we'll talk. Not the least because Reach has little competition, and that September release date really helps Halo clean up imo (millions are itching to buy a game after a long dry summer, and competition is light unlike November, it's kind of like how James Cameron has cleaned up by releasing both Titanic and Avatar around Christmas, they have super long legs and dont have to face a competing "summer blockbuster" opening every two weeks).

But why not try something new as well?

Limited resources. Launching a new shooter franchise would require a lot of investment on all fronts, 50+ million. That money is far better spent on the Kinect line in MS's opinion and I have to agree with them.

You're missing my point completely. :(

Then clarify it to me some more. I thought it's just about being bored, but MS needs to act with their finances in mind - what's the best way to invest their money. Adding a new hardcore franchise at this point makes no business sense.

Im already glad that when peter M stepped up the podium he didnt hold a 30 min talk about fable 3. He had a special conference last year about ms Europe but he just kept on talking about fable 3.

I personally do believe MS needs another first party/exclusive FPS. Even if you count Gears as a FPS, which to me it kind of slots as one for practical purposes, you're looking at just two first party published exclusive FPS on 360 vs Killzone, Socom, Resistance, and MAG on PS3.

Those four franchises can't touch Halo on its own even when you combine them together.
Maybe not even Halo 3 - and there's going to be at least 3 Halo and 3 Gears games at the end of the generation (and maybe 343 industries has something for 2011-2012 after Bungie leaves the building).

I think MS just wants to focus on Halo to max it's sales, but I'd love to see another top notch FPS franchise from MS.
But do we really not have more then we can play? At least that's the case with me, I can't see why the X360 would need another shooter.
In fact, there are so many other genres that it could use a few more titles, 1st/3rd person shooters are more then covered. If MS wants to spend money on new franchises, then they should do something more interesting and new...

Every offense intended, but MW2 completely sucks at MP game play right now. Nearly every match has someone glitching/outright cheating in it right now. We're talking care packages dropping NUKES and people Elevatoring into positions impossible to get to or flat out geometry glitching to plant claymores from across the map or speed riot shielding. Also the game and map balance issues are huge. The sniper rifle/class is worthless, it's all about assault rifles and spray-and-pray style. They seriously need to fix the first issue before it'll be enjoyable again.

If Reach is even on the same level as the Beta, it will be a huge success.

As someone who basically has only been playing MW2 on PSN for the past few months (blame lack of built in wi fi on 360) I completely agree.

MW was way better, and the fact that in half the maps the best strategy is just to run around knifing people shows how broken it is, it's a bloody FPS!.

I really am more impressed by Black Ops now, it even seems to be significantly better looking, how did they manage that, they're using IW's tech right?

And no comparisons to Reach, Bungie know what they're doing, the Halo series have always been the console FPS with the most MP depth.

To be honest guys...I am a little bit dissapointed with MS conference!

They dedicated to much time to Natal, in which I have zero interest up to now!

There was nothing new around the corner - Crytek's trailer only game which will be released maybe in 3010 or so is not much!

I hope they have something up this year, when Gears 3 is coming in 2011...

With all this focus on the kids/women market, I don't have a good feeling for Sony's conference, I really hope that they at least show us something new and unexpected besides the expected "Move is so cool...because it glows" bla bla

To be honest guys...I am a little bit dissapointed with MS conference!

They dedicated to much time to Natal, in which I have zero interest up to now!

There was nothing new around the corner - Crytek's trailer only game which will be released maybe in 3010 or so is not much!

I hope they have something up this year, when Gears 3 is coming in 2011...

With all this focus on the kids/women market, I don't have a good feeling for Sony's conference, I really hope that they at least show us something new and unexpected besides the expected "Move is so cool...because it glows" bla bla
I've mixed feeling too but on the other hand there are quiet some many cool games coming from third party editors that I wonder if this is even issue.
BulletStorm is the greatest FPS I've seen so far and it's multi-plaform.
There's crysis 2, CoD x, BF etc.
Criterion is working on the new NFS.
For combat game Capcom vs Marvel looks like a messiah for the fighting crown.
I'm waiting to see more about the LOTR h&S. I'm waiting for Dungeon siege3 too.
And I forgot a bunch of titles.

Even if they didn't speak about it quiet some neat games are heading to XBLA (PSN too) the one from the creator of Splosion man looks neat (comic something), there rayman, Sonic etc. quiet some choices. Child of Eden concept is amazing hope it works as intended.

But there were hole in the presentation, I want to know more about the new interface, I would have loved to see them come with better solution in regard to multi disks games, with 205GB they should have gotten rid of disk swapping, etc.

Just finished watching the briefing.
Overall, I thought it was pretty good. I would've like more games for the hardcore shown, but almost all of the core games shown were something I would probably pick up with the exception of the COD game.

I had my wife watch the Kinect sections with me. She seemed genuinely interested in the Adventure, Your Shape and Dance Central games. If MS was courting the casual audience, judging from her reaction, they hit it on the head.

Other than Halo Reach, Gears 3 and Fable 3, I am most excited about the new X360 slim which I will definitely pick up as soon as it is available. I also like the fact that you can transfer everything via the Transfer cable.

I've mixed feeling too but on the other hand there are quiet some many cool games coming from third party editors that I wonder if this is even issue.
BulletStorm is the greatest FPS I've seen so far and it's multi-plaform.
There's crysis 2, CoD x, BF etc.
Criterion is working on the new NFS.
For combat game Capcom vs Marvel looks like a messiah for the fighting crown.
I'm waiting to see more about the LOTR h&S. I'm waiting for Dungeon siege3 too.
And I forgot a bunch of titles.

Even if they didn't speak about it quiet some neat games are heading to XBLA (PSN too) the one from the creator of Splosion man looks neat (comic something), there rayman, Sonic etc. quiet some choices. Child of Eden concept is amazing hope it works as intended.

But there were hole in the presentation, I want to know more about the new interface, I would have loved to see them come with better solution in regard to multi disks games, with 205GB they should have gotten rid of disk swapping, etc.

I expect that MS is spacing out their announcements and not blowing their load on E3 alone. The still have Lepzig, TGS, GDC and their own (I forget the name) show they put on annually. Honestly, not too disappointed, as there are already more games out now and coming this Summer/Fall than I can afford at this time.

I expect that MS is spacing out their announcements and not blowing their load on E3 alone. The still have Lepzig, TGS, GDC and their own (I forget the name) show they put on annually. Honestly, not too disappointed, as there are already more games out now and coming this Summer/Fall than I can afford at this time.
Well I'm catching with all this announcements or first gameplay vids and I pretty much agree so many things are coming that MS has actually no pressure to push an unbelievable amount of exclusive games out of the door.
I watched Crysis 3 gameplay by the way and Wow (a lot less fun than Bulletstorm) but crap is that really on 360?

The offering on Kinect is also pretty interesting.

mm... yeah I can't say it was a conference for me. Just not that interested in motion control beyond the UI.

A live demo of the space fighting in Reach would have been more interesting, epic environment, entirely new gameplay from Bungie... Maybe it's timing. The footage itself still suffers from the frame-blending on the view weapon, which they mentioned they had already fixed. Footage taken a long while back?

And as nice as it was to see Gears 3's updated graphics, I thought it was a bit boring; why do we need a demonstration of co-op, especially when the big screen is only showing Cliff's view?

I'd have preferred that the type of showings had been the other way around for those two.

All you hold outs need to get a 360 with Kinect, if for no other reason than to see Al get drunk and dance a jig on Live! You know it's gonna happen! :LOL:
I thought of that too as soon as I saw the E3 vids! :LOL:

I think they could have used more cowbell.

Way too much fakery, pretense and deception. Canned footage with actors pretending to play them, with apparent negative lag abound. The kid actor pretending to get tactile feedback from the tiger, when we know Kinect can't and won't give you that. Even the relative sizes of Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 S were rigged and falsified. It's probably easier to make a list of things that weren't smoke and mirrors. It's as if Shane Kim never left.

After all this time, and all the hype, they still can't show this thing working live on a stage. And they still haven't announced the price point, and let's apply some reason here, if the price point was attractive, they would have.

Maybe it was a relative relief for the journos who had attended the CdS event to participate in something slightly less abusive, but with all the falsehoods and cringeworthy "real talk" performances this thing was hard, hard to watch.

mm... yeah I can't say it was a conference for me. Just not that interested in motion control beyond the UI.

A live demo of the space fighting in Reach would have been more interesting, epic environment, entirely new gameplay from Bungie... Maybe it's timing. The footage itself still suffers from the frame-blending on the view weapon, which they mentioned they had already fixed. Footage taken a long while back?

And as nice as it was to see Gears 3's updated graphics, I thought it was a bit boring; why do we need a demonstration of co-op, especially when the big screen is only showing Cliff's view?

I'd have preferred that the type of showings had been the other way around for those two.

I think they could have used more cowbell.
Well I wonder too they didn't get into details that much.
For GeoW3 4 players co-op (in local?) is a big plus but Bulletstorm really looks that much fun imho :)

I hope there will be more Gears3 footage as the week progresses. I'm curious what this Beast mode is. Perhaps they listened to me and we'll be fighting Reavers/Brumaks/new Lambent Beasts ala Horde-style or L4D's Survival modes.

I'm definitely picking up the Ghost Recon: Future Warrior when it hits. The E3 footage looks nice.

disagree... you are being myopic. there are tons of buyers who don't want a wii but think this full body and voice activated stuff is actually more adult, yet fun and not geeky like holding a wand/controller is.

Are there tons of people? I don't think there's evidence either way. The point is, even if existing 360 owners show an amazing adoption rate, you're already getting a bunch of people who buy a ton of games. You think that because of the wife approval thing people will start buying twice as many games?

I'm here :) There's really no point posting about Kinect on forums because the hardcore didn't get it back then, they don't get it now, and they still won't get it in the future. The fact that people still bring up stuff like lag shows that they don't get it. Microsoft is doing exactly what they need to do and targeting exactly who they need to target with Kinect. I don't expect the hardcore to ever figure it out but it's like I've always said, that's a good thing since Kinect has nothing to do with them anyways. Seriously, if you really didn't see any potential for hit games with the non gamers in the demonstrations then there really isn't much more to say. The only wildcard left is price which they could mess up, but aside from that so far they are executing as they should.

C'mon. Back when I was saying that these motion systems would have the same Wii nonsense (because the range of games they're actually suited to is extremely limited) you were saying that Natal's push to developers meant groundbreaking games were going to show up, games you couldn't talk about. And here we have the same Wii nonsense, either with higher fidelity (dancing) or no peripheral needed (everything else). Now you're backtracking and saying that's what would happen anyway, and applying the Nintendo defense ('you guys just don't get it, it's not for you').

There are many answers to this, but one could be the legions of guys that want a 360 but can't buy one because their wives don't let them. Now then can show them the Kinect apps to get an excuse to buy one. There are quite a few guys out there in that predicament by the way.
So there's legions of henpecked guys who love games so much they follow E3 press conferences but who aren't allowed to own a $199 console? That's amusing, but I don't think there's any evidence that these people exist in any significant numbers.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying it's going to fail, because I don't know. It'll depend more on marketing. I'm saying that E3 is probably not the best venue to reach the market they're going for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back