Official E3 Microsoft Conference Thread 2010

I share Joker454 opinion I see myself having fun with it. I'm also attract to sport games, your hand and everything else is free you can work out with weights,elastics, etc.
I feel like the dancing game is a blitz as soon as you put your shame aside.
It does surf board: Adrenaline misfits.
I've to try for myself to decide tho price will also an important factor.

Maybe not even Halo 3 - and there's going to be at least 3 Halo and 3 Gears games at the end of the generation (and maybe 343 industries has something for 2011-2012 after Bungie leaves the building).

Franchise fatigue is a real thing, though, and MS doesn't own Gears (which will probably go on hiatus after the next game). I'm not sure the world needs more FPS, but MS certainly shouldn't sit on its laurels.

mm... yeah I can't say it was a conference for me. Just not that interested in motion control beyond the UI.
I caught a bit ofthe UI in the media demonstration, with that girl talking to her twin sister (ugh, how awkward was that?!) and I found it...primitive, I suppose. It was very EyeToy like, hold your hand over the position until it's 'charged'. They have 3D tracking, so why can't users reach forwards and 'press' their selection? I love the idea of waving one's arms to move a selection screen and grab items, but what I've seen so far seems too laboured to be worth bothering with, like using a slightly dodgy mouse that doesn't register your clicks all the time. If it's no quicker than pressing buttons, is it really worth doing? Well, yes if you have a remote-eating dog! That said, I've only had chance to see that one demo so far, and she could have just been going slow so the audience could follow.

Also is there an official clip mechanism for Kinect? Move demo's have shown a PSEye sellotaped to the top of the TV! These devices need proper ways to partner them up with wall-mounted screens.

Way too much fakery, pretense and deception. Canned footage with actors pretending to play them, with apparent negative lag abound. The kid actor pretending to get tactile feedback from the tiger, when we know Kinect can't and won't give you that. Even the relative sizes of Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 S were rigged and falsified. It's probably easier to make a list of things that weren't smoke and mirrors. It's as if Shane Kim never left.

What are you basing your claims of "Fake!" on? Are you saying the people playing the games actually memorized the choreography of the canned Kinect demos so it would line up? Including the still shots at the end? At that point wouldnt it just be easier to get the damned thing working? :D And the apparent technical delay prior to the 100m hurdles race was staged for "authenticity"?

I do agree on the price though, theyre clearly keeping that away from the likes of USA Today as $150 would definitely dampen the mainstream enthusiasm for it. People are going to do the consumer math and say "wow thats almost TWO balance boards!" To be honest, there is zero up-side to giving a price now. Personally, i would rather it cost more than less in hopes that teh extra dough is going to better hardware in the device.

Seems like there's a huge worry that games on 360 are suddenly going to dry up because they didn't announce a ton of new titles at E3. Every year people say, "Microsoft does have anything coming later this year" and then it turns out they do. I'm pretty sure the games won't dry up. They talked about some of their biggest titles, but I'm sure there are more games that will be announced over the next sixth months.

They don't do these conferences exclusively for the hardcore gamer. I think they're trying to get the mainstream press interested by showing more of Kinect.

Also is there an official clip mechanism for Kinect? Move demo's have shown a PSEye sellotaped to the top of the TV! These devices need proper ways to partner them up with wall-mounted screens.

From what i could gather, Kinect will have a motorized base, a flat-panel clip may be -at best- unsightly.

From the looks of it the tilt mechanism might be a required function to work. So some kind of mount or clip wouldn't allow it to work properly. But I agree, I have my LCD mounted to a TV stand similar to this one...

05740257000.jpg

I think my top shelf is still too low for Kinect to work properly. And there's no way for Kinect to sit on top of my TV. I might end up having to build a shelf to set it on.

Tommy McClain

Looking over the presentation again, I think Your Shape might be the real killer app for Kinect. Fitness I think is a field where the actual added precision is important, as opposed to all the 'flailing around' games. They need to get that game out on daytime talk shows asap.

Edit: Found on GAF, but it seems like a legit capture from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QSzfFbLt4E&feature=related#t=8m10. Maybe Digital Foundry can explain what's going on here?

epk4fa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking over the presentation again, I think Your Shape might be the real killer app for Kinect. Fitness I think is a field where the actual added precision is important, as opposed to all the 'flailing around' games. They need to get that game out on daytime talk shows asap.

I'm getting one of the fitness games. Tempted to get EA Active 2, because I liked the first one and its expansion. Not sure if it'll use Kinect as extensively as the other games. I'll have to wait and see. Even Your Shape didn't show a lot of different exercises. It'll be interesting to see how complex the moves get, and whether it offers anything high intensity.

Better forza 4 kinect presentation behind close door.

http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6265584/?tag=top_stories;title;8

Hopefully you can play with the wheel or gamepad and take advantage of the headtracking and the walk-around in the final product. Having a casual mode with tons of assists and the controller free steering is nice, but it would suck if they took an all or nothing approach to Kinect and didn't let you use some of the other features with a standard controller.

This is an interesting gameplay video, it would be interesting to do lag measurements because whether it's the same as in things like ricochet it's less perceivable.
By the way neat game :) it confirm aiming and some form of puppetry is possible on Kinect.
This kind of control could be good enough for something like Fable 3.

I believe Fable3 is going to use it in the map room and the wardrobe. At least that seemed to be the plan. Probably not during regular play though.

Really amazing predictive abilities, too.
:LOL: indeed that magic it manages to predict the only button there is to push.

Anyway, Child of Eden pretty much impressed, I can see this kind of control working for not that fast paced kind of game, I feel it could have been fit to something like Sacred 2.

Is there a gameplay trailer for it yet?

Yeah, it was in one of the publisher conferences I think. Looks quite interesting - there was a Kinect demo where the player is visible on screen and some very nice graphics curl/wrap themselves around the hand of the player. I'm sure you should be able to find something pretty quickly on gametrailers or youtube. I think maybe I found a link on GAF when I saw it. Went to bed waaaaaaaay too late yesterday to watch all sorts of stuff, so can't remember!

I personally do believe MS needs another first party/exclusive FPS. Even if you count Gears as a FPS, which to me it kind of slots as one for practical purposes, you're looking at just two first party published exclusive FPS on 360 vs Killzone, Socom, Resistance, and MAG on PS3. Even though all those PS3 titles have all repeatedly failed to catch on like a Halo, you're still looking at 4 franchises vs 2, and the funny thing it's X360 that is supposedly the flooded with shooters box!

You have to remember they also had Bioshock in 2007, Left 4 Dead in 2008 and Left 4 Dead 2 in 2009. Believe it or not, Left 4 Dead is actually around the same size/bigger than Killzone 2 and Resistance 2. Mag pretty much bombed so you can ignore that and RFOM 3 + Socom won't even scratch 1/3rd the impact of Halo: Reach.

I think they're well appointed with FPS titles personally.

Back