NVidia SLI using 2 cards with all 4 video outputs!

Penstarsys.com

From my understanding dual SLI can be used in two different ways. The first is as two separate cards featuring all available video outputs. This is essentially the same as a current setup with an AGP card with a second card in a PCI slot. The only advantage the user gets is more bandwidth to the secondary card, which could be important in high end graphics programs. The second, and what will undoubtedly become the most common setup, is the pure performance mode. Only one set of video outputs will work in this scenario, but the performance is doubled for that one card. This is the feature that most enthusiasts and gamers are drooling over. The ability to put two GeForce 6800 Ultras or GTs together and get nearly double the performance in games is nothing short of breathtaking for most of us. The idea of Doom 3 or Half Life 2 at 1600x1200 with all settings maxed at 4X AA and 16X AF makes most gamers weak in the knees. Having a 22" monitor of my own, this idea is very appealing! In the future NVIDIA plans on making this a bit more flexible by enabling both the high performance mode AND the ability to use all 4 video outs on the two cards.
http://www.penstarsys.com/previews/chipset/nvidia/nf4/nf4_2.htm

Wow, I have not seen this mentioned before. I would love to see 2 6800 GTs output to 3 monitors. =)

I guess noone explicitly mentioned it because that's what you already get from today's two-card setups.

Xmas,

Hmm, mabye I read too much into that. I took it to mean that both cards would be rendering the same image and then the output could be on 4 monitors. I was hoping this meant you could also use SLI two cards to render games on 3 monitors. I game on 3 monitors is how I read it. I thought only Matrox could do that currently in the consumer space.

Well, it'd be nontrivial to have two cards run three displays in-game while keeping the load-balancing adequate.

Chalnoth said:
Well, it'd be nontrivial to have two cards run three displays in-game while keeping the load-balancing adequate.

Correct. At least in current versions of the driver, that's not an option available to you, for 3D acceleration.

Rys

Back