NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not really sure Geforce GTX 285 -> Geforce 285 is of the same caliber as previous renaming efforts. The 9 series has already been renamed to 1xx (OEM) so that's not new either.

I'm not really sure Geforce GTX 285 -> Geforce 285 is of the same caliber as previous renaming efforts. The 9 series has already been renamed to 1xx (OEM) so that's not new either.

Ah yes, but the GTS250 now goes back to the 1XX series.

I'm not so sure about that. That would mean that they'll have something like GF210->GF190->GF260->GF380 etc which isn't helping at all.

That's as logical as it has ever been, it's no different from for example ATI's HD4350 being slower than HD3870

That's as logical as it has ever been, it's no different from for example ATI's HD4350 being slower than HD3870

Yeah but in all those cases there has always been a HD 46xx or HD 48xx too. In this case there wouldn't be 2xx parts to fill the gap.

I never found it too confusing and most people didn't either after a quick explanation.

In ATI's 1234 numbering scheme.

1 = Family
2 = Speed tier withing the family
3 = Speed rank within the tier
4 = Useless number so far.

Seems pretty much the simplest naming scheme of any company so far. Even better than the current CPU naming mess by both Intel and AMD IMO.

Granted it isn't perfect as the 4770 is damn close to the 4850.

But it works for others quite well. The 4670 is about as fast as the 3870. Two speed tiers lower. But 1 generation higher.

Nvidia on the other hand for the past year has been almost impossible to explain to anyone that isn't a tech enthusiast.

Regards,
SB

I never found it too confusing and most people didn't either after a quick explanation.

In ATI's 1234 numbering scheme.

1 = Family
2 = Speed tier withing the family
3 = Speed rank within the tier
4 = Useless number so far.

Seems pretty much the simplest naming scheme of any company so far. Even better than the current CPU naming mess by both Intel and AMD IMO.

Granted it isn't perfect as the 4770 is damn close to the 4850.

But it works for others quite well. The 4670 is about as fast as the 3870. Two speed tiers lower. But 1 generation higher.

Nvidia on the other hand for the past year has been almost impossible to explain to anyone that isn't a tech enthusiast.

Regards,
SB
Yep, and nV's will now be the same, excluding the lack of useless number so far

SLI Licensing on Lynnfield, from anandtech:

The license terms are thankfully a lot more palatable than they were with the initial X58 launch. To support SLI a motherboard manufacturer simply has to pay NVIDIA $30,000 up front plus $3 per SLI enabled motherboard sold. In turn NVIDIA gives the motherboard manufacturer a key to put in its BIOS that tells the NVIDIA display drivers that it’s ok to enable SLI on that platform.
I sincerely hope the $30k upfront fee includes some amount of testing and validation on Nvidias part.

They also appear to be promoting intel chipsets and processors with a "Power of 3" campaign, which i am sure intel would appreciate. :smile:

From the previous page:
The most expensive P55 motherboard I’ve heard of will retail for around $349, while the cheapest will be just under $100 (micro-ATX). It looks like you’ll have some good options around $139 - $149.
Hmmm, with the $139-$149 products not sure there is enough room for a $3 licensing fee that say fewer than 10% of your customers would use. Cause there a so many P55 vendors i think competition will quickly remove the SLI option from these boards.

Might be wrong but if i had to guess the $199 boards will be as far down the food chain as the new SLI branding can survive.

Did Transmeta need a license from Intel to sell their CPUs? Given that IIRC NVIDIA bought Transmeta IP..

Marco

Did Transmeta need a license from Intel to sell their CPUs? Given that IIRC NVIDIA bought Transmeta IP..

Marco

You don't need a license for x86. You need a license for many of the patents that are essential to a high performance x86 implementation (e.g. x87, page tables, SSE, etc.).

David

You don't need a license for x86. You need a license for many of the patents that are essential to a high performance x86 implementation (e.g. x87, page tables, SSE, etc.).
Well, I guess Transmeta supported all these things. So how did they do it? Did they get a license?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back