NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but pretty much anytime something goes wrong for Nvidia you can claim Charlie's right since he reliably predicts that something will go wrong in every single case. It's the same as predicting heads on every single coin flip. You shouldn't really get credit for being right half the time should you? :)

True, but pretty much anytime something goes wrong for Nvidia you can claim Charlie's right since he reliably predicts that something will go wrong in every single case. It's the same as predicting heads on every single coin flip. You shouldn't really get credit for being right half the time should you? :)

Depends ... were they all binary choices? :)

Not to mention he claimed it went beyond what it did. In any case I don't think attributing it to him is fair. It wasn't his fault nvidia screwed up after all, no matter how many of his fans claim "he is responsible for bumpgate." :devilish:

FWIW I saw Charlie at MicroCenter in the Twin Cities last night wearing an AMD shirt.

Are you local? Interesting. FWIW, it was the first shirt I grabbed from my bin-o-shirts. I have about 2:1 AMD:Intel shirts, mainly because AMD hands out more, or at least did. Neither side gives out any anymore. :(

On a completely different note, I have more Nvidia shirts than ATI, and I wear them regularly.

That said, if you saw me, you should have said hi and asked me what I had in my pocket. :) I brought something to show a friend who works there.

-Charlie

Are you local? Interesting. FWIW, it was the first shirt I grabbed from my bin-o-shirts. I have about 2:1 AMD:Intel shirts, mainly because AMD hands out more, or at least did. Neither side gives out any anymore. :(

On a completely different note, I have more Nvidia shirts than ATI, and I wear them regularly.

That said, if you saw me, you should have said hi and asked me what I had in my pocket. :) I brought something to show a friend who works there.

-Charlie

brings a new meaning to "bump"-gate /wink

Well he is responsible for outing them. Gotta give him that.

Oh I do, people just don't think when they write that he is responsible for bumpgate. It makes it sound like he snuck in and sabotaged their eutectic material instead of breaking a story.

And in truth reporters are very rarely responsible in any case usually it is the source that is truly responsible. What he did by asking someone else to test it in a lab was what was actually impressive in the matter though he himself did not quite understand the results at first (at least it seemed that way from the first article describing TGA, it could have been he just described the test poorly in trying to simplify it for readers).

-Charlie

I thought about it but was too excited to run my new Q9550 home and get it running! I feared if I did engage you in conversation I may not make it to the checkout counter before they closed :p Also my g/f was with me and I'm sure she would've been rather annoyed with it ;)

There's always next time. I do go to MicroCenter quite often, as does every good PC enthusiast that has one nearby.

Here is some analysis of nvidia recent numbers:
Nvidia: Income Statement Analysis for July '09 Quarter

The headline revenue from last quarter increased from $664m to $777m well over guidance given by nvidia previous quarter and analysts expectations of around $700-710m.

From the spreadsheet was looking at 3 figures compared to last quarter:
Cost of Goods: $463m -> $620m
Research and Development: $211m -> $193m
Sales, General Adminstrative: $80m -> $74m

The COG is distorted by the $119.6m charge for the bad laptop parts. Also i think anther small charge....roughly otherwise would have been around $495m which gave a marked improvement in the (non-gaap) gross margin up to 36% for the quarter. They said this was mainly due to chipsets(up 55%) and mobile including higher margin 40nm sales(up 33%).

R & D though is strange...for a year and a half has been held constant at $210-215m level, now it is reduced by 20%. Some project has ended or something has been cut. Not sure what.

Also SGA cut by 10% is quite impressive as there is usually alot of fixed expenses in there. Would guess easiest to pull back on is marketing, developer relations type stuff.

Finally analysts are a bit all over the place, 3 positive by varying degrees, 1 neutral and 1 quite negative.

From the spreadsheet was looking at 3 figures compared to last quarter:
Cost of Goods: $463m -> $620m
Research and Development: $211m -> $193m
Sales, General Adminstrative: $80m -> $74m
R & D though is strange...for a year and a half has been held constant at $210-215m level, now it is reduced by 20%. Some project has ended or something has been cut. Not sure what.
$210->$193 is less than a 10% reduction.

-FUDie

Wait, wasn't Jen-Hsun making lots of noise about greatly increasing R&D spending in previous conference calls? I guess the reality of the economy and pressure from ATI made him back off those claims.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back