NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no such thing as percentage of public ownership - a public company doesn't own itself in any way. The only measure of ownership is issued shares. Some issued shares could be held by the company as treasury stock after a buyback but that's usually a relatively small portion of total issues (as is the case for Nvidia) and they don't bestow any voting or shareholder rights to the company. The company can try to buy back and hold a majority interest in issued shares to defend against a hostile takeover but that strategy can't be used to force a sale.
My understanding is sometimes companies IPO and still hold a large percentage of shares. Presumably many of these are still held by insiders. I've never investigated this though.

No sale can happen without shareholders' blessing.
That's what I figured I just said usually since I wasn't 100% sure. I know companies can be on the purchasing side without a shareholder vote if most of the purchase price is not stock.

My understanding is sometimes companies IPO and still hold a large percentage of shares. Presumably many of these are still held by insiders. I've never investigated this though.
A company never really holds its own shares. When a company goes IPO, it will either issue new shares (with the goal of raising working capital) or sell shares of existing shareholders (to compensate initial investors) or, usually, a mixture of the two. If an offering is especially successful, it can always decide to offer more shares than initially planned (the so called greenshoe option).

When a company buys back shares, it's done to reduce dilution, and those shares are destroyed. (I guess a company could hold on to them too, but I don't think that's common because it defeats that purpose.)

Celerons soldered to mobos

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/13980/1/

It seems like Intel's success with the Atom will have some unexpected long term effects on the entry level motherboard market, as we're hearing that the company is now considering moving its entire entry-level CPU range away from using CPU sockets to being soldered onto the motherboards.
So, if it works for Atom then it works for Celeron too?

Jawed

IT's like the old days of yore. I for one think it's an excellent idea. prices are lower for fixed solutions and our current prices can be considered "upgrade premiums"

That and 99% of the Celeron owners give a rat's *** about upgrading their processor.

Couldn't you solder it onto a different board though?

That and 99% of the Celeron owners give a rat's *** about upgrading their processor.

That's true. But wouldnt this reduce competition and increase replacement costs if either component fails? I doubt we'll see as much differentiation in entry level motherboards as a result of this. But you're right, most people won't notice or care in that market.

That's true. But wouldnt this reduce competition and increase replacement costs if either component fails? I doubt we'll see as much differentiation in entry level motherboards as a result of this. But you're right, most people won't notice or care in that market.

competition? AMD makes intel socket compatible CPU's?
replacement costs in general, I think it's a lot easier to ship a boxed, integrated mobo and replace it using plastic taps or screws or something. and you'll probably see different kinds of cooling setups on these as well.

Remember, it's only intel boards being integrated like this, I can imagine OEM's still shopping around for better alternatives. But at this low cost market where dollars literally break profitability I assume this set-up gets applauded

competition? AMD makes intel socket compatible CPU's?

I didn't say anything about AMD. Competition among Intel motherboard manufacturers. Obviously some won't go for this - hence reducing competition.

In other news Hexus thinks JHH is trying to buy AMD. Taipei is a crazy place :LOL:

I believe there are some cheapo AMD-based products that have CPUs directly soldered to the board.
Is it really notable that some Celerons will have the same treatment (assuming there haven't been some examples of this being done in other years)?

Is it really notable that some Celerons will have the same treatment (assuming there haven't been some examples of this being done in other years)?
It's notable as apparently being a cost-cutting measure. Which when applied to Atom is described as being anti-competitive.

Jawed

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1243929654997.html

U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Rejects Patent Claims That Rambus is Asserting Against NVIDIA

SANTA CLARA, CA—June 2, 2009—NVIDIA today announced that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has initially rejected all 41 claims challenged by NVIDIA in seven patents which Rambus has asserted in litigation against NVIDIA.

NVIDIA has challenged patent claims that stem from a complaint filed by Rambus in November 2008 against NVIDIA in an International Trade Commission (ITC) action. The patents involve memory controllers related to graphics processors.

“We are pleased that the USPTO decided to review the patentability of Rambus' patents and agreed with NVIDIA's challenge to all 41 claims,” stated David Shannon, NVIDIA executive vice president and general counsel. “We will continue to vigorously defend this matter in the ITC.”

In addition to the seven patents reviewed thus far, two additional Rambus patents are subject to the same challenge by NVIDIA and remain pending before the USPTO. A decision on the final two patents is expected in the next 60 days.

Huge win there for Nvidia over Rambus patent troll.

Eh? The rumour is that Intel will sell Celerons integrated with mobos. To reduce costs.

If so then that's similar to the way Atom is sold (though Atoms can be bought unbundled - maybe the same will apply with Celerons?).

Since it isn't happening yet we'll have to wait and see.

The comparison I'm making is that rumoured cost-cutting for Celeron entails it being bundled, which if true, is just like cost-cutting for Atom.

Gawd it's so tedious spelling out this basic stuff.

Jawed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back