NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by Geo, Jul 2, 2008.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. INKster

Veteran

How can we immediately tell when one of his articles is semiaccurate or semiinaccurate ? :lol:

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

3. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

I guess he decided (like Fudo) that you can make better money as your own boss rather than working for someone else..?

4. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

Well the story at the Inq wasn't written by Charlie though.

5. ninelven

Veteran

This way, when nothing materializes, he can claim nobody wanted to buy the worst corporation on the planet.

6. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Heh, yeah it's funny how this story was "designed". Not only is Charlie the most insightful engineer on the planet but also the best informed financial analyst too. He knows Nvidia isn't worth anything but all those big investors and corporations aren't as smart as Charlie. Oh no, they'll happily buy the turd. But wait, when the deal falls thru it'll be because they finally realized what Charlie knew all this time. Nvidia is dead and not worth buying. I must admit, the guy is brilliant.

7. 2senile

Regular

I certainly wish him all the best & hope he is around to entertain & inform me for many years to come. I'll be satisfied with "semi-accurate" as long as it is entertaining. :)

8. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran Subscriber

Ooh Charlie I have some more article ideas..

'Nvidia to move corporate seat to North Korea'
    'Satanist cult living in Jen-Sun Huang's basement?'
    'Nvidia switches to ground up puppies for new GPU underfill'

I promise, they're all quite SemiAccurate

9. rpg.314

Veteran

Charlie's an entertaining read even if he's been only semi accurate in the past. His pouring of a good heap of scorn and scarsam (on nv particularly, does he have personal issues with nv???) makes me chuckle every now and then.

10. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

"Personal issues" would be a profound understatement :D

11. 3dcgi

Veteran Subscriber

Usually companies don't sell all the stock when they go public so Nvidia is likely still a large shareholder in itself. This info should be publicly available if someone is interested in the percentage of public ownership. That said usually sales must be approved by shareholders.

Agreed.

12. dkanter

Regular

Companies can put themselves up for sale easily. Usually what happens is you retain an investment banking to shop the company around...

Also, that story was Sylvie's not Charlie's.

DK

13. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

So has Sylvie left TheInquirer as well? The story was published on semiaccurate.com

14. rpg.314

Veteran

Pardon the off-topic post, but what did nv do to him? :wink:

15. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

There's no such thing as percentage of public ownership - a public company doesn't own itself in any way. The only measure of ownership is issued shares. Some issued shares could be held by the company as treasury stock after a buyback but that's usually a relatively small portion of total issues (as is the case for Nvidia) and they don't bestow any voting or shareholder rights to the company. The company can try to buy back and hold a majority interest in issued shares to defend against a hostile takeover but that strategy can't be used to force a sale.

No sale can happen without shareholders' blessing.

16. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

I'm not sure about the details but some of the guys around here would know. My understanding is that he was left off the invite list for a few events a few years ago because he didn't respect NDA's. In retaliation he's devoted his entire life to disparaging Nvidia by highlighting any and all of their missteps and making others up when he runs out of material. IMO he should've just gotten himself a girlfriend or found a hobby instead. But that's just me....

17. rpg.314

Veteran

As you sow, so shall you reap........

18. dkanter

Regular

Not quite, see my other post.

DK

19. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Which one?

20. dkanter

Regular

NV's PR can be very difficult to work with by all accounts (opinions of others, not myself). They demand to control their messaging and have very little tolerance for folks who don't toe the line.

The only real power that PR folks have is access to HW and people and the occasional junket.

Charlie calls things as he sees/perceives them and doesn't care about toeing the line to make a company look good. He's also not what I'd call your average reporter (not bad or good, but very different).

You can see how that might cause a collision course.

My understanding is that NV's PR made a decision to freeze charlie out and try to prevent him from effectively writing about NV (unless he started to behave 'better' from their perspective). You can see that in a lot of what he's written - he never gets info from NV PR directly and he's almost throwing it in their face that he's still able to talk about their GPUs without them. It's hardly a secret.

Anyway, I'm sure Charlie has quite a bit of respect for some of the folks at NV, but he sure as hell doesn't like some of their PR folks.

With the stuff about bumps, I think Charlie just got curious and wanted to dig and find out what was going on. When NV started obfuscating, that just encouraged him to dig further and find out the truth.

DK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.