NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't think people see the issue here, every CPU since NV44 has these bad bumps and is not guaranteed to operate for it's intended lifetime. $200 million doesn't come anywhere near covering the cost of replacing 4 to 5 years worth of GPU shipments.

It may be mob mentality as you call it but as Charlie wrote, it might be the only way for those small OEM's to get their money back.

Not to ruin your comparison or otherwise taking part in the derailing of the thread, but faulty Li-ion batteries get recalled because they're a potential fire hazard. A bum GPU is just an annoyance. The liabilities are quite different if your product is a danger to life and property than if it's just crap. There are also regulatory standards for electrical appliances, so whether a battery recall is the right thing or not probably has little to do with it (rather, it is the only option).

While I agree the degree of danger isn't in any way comparable, it's a bit more than a nuisance.

If the GPU goes out your notebook is now basically a really expensive doorstop.

Once the issue was isolated and verified, replacing the battery was a relatively easy process. As long as the customer replaced the battery due to the recall before a catastrophic failure then no big deal.

There is no easy or cheap fix for this GPU issue with regards to notebooks.

And as far as I can tell this isn't about Nvidia doing the right or wrong thing. If these GPU's failed under operating conditions that Nvidia provided then it's quite possible they bear some liability for what has happened. Something we'll find out when it goes to court unless they settle out of court.

Regards,
SB

One lawyer I talked to about it said RegFD is basically ignored by the SEC now, a sad state of affairs. [...] Of all the companies that I talk to, only NV consistently violates this practice, others may slip, but NV seems to do it as practice, playing favorites with analysts. If the IR department ever gets subpoenaed, they are in deep deep deep shit.
Heh, yeah, doesn't surprise me. SEC is a joke right now anyway, so I wouldn't hold my breath. FWIW, I wasn't just talking about stock analysts - I also know some definitely non-public things which individuals investors managed to get from NV IR. Pretty retarded behavior...

NV _IS_ out of the MCP business, mainly because chipsets are not going to exist in a year or so. Stop and think about it, what is a chipset? It is, classically, a memory controller, GPU, SATA, USB, PCIe, low speed IO, and a boot rom.

Of that list, memory controller and GPU are the difficult ones, the rest are trivially licensable IP. MC and GPU are gone in a year, and will never come back, PCIe, probably the next hardest one, is going on die shortly. So, do you think NV can make margins necessary to build a SATA, USB and boot ROM chip? Even if they call it XRP or something stupid? Chipsets are dead dead dead. The end.
Uhm, do I really need to remind you of what you said yourself? Here's the link: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1021993/nvidia-chipsets-dead along with two choice quotes: "the division was officially killed, and the teams will be rolled into GPU projects" and "So in the end, Nvidia chipsets are history. You will see a few more trickle out mainly because they are already done and dusted."

That doesn't contradict MCP79 being used for the Ion platform. But it completely contradicts the existence of the 40nm Ion2 aimed at ~4Q09 for Socket 775. Remember transition times are always long, and NV should easily be able to get a lot of business with that part in 2010 and through 2011. And that's before we even consider the fact it supports VIA Nano, which has a very nice roadmap. Don't get me wrong, everyone makes mistakes and there's nothing abnormal there, but it doesn't mean they have to be denied later though.

After that, I agree it gets cloudier because of the obvious lock-in mechanisms. There are some things they can do on the MSI socket that involve a GPU, believe it or not, but they'd definitely be at a disadvantage and I'm skeptical it'd/it'll be worth the R&D. Which is why NV said they'd want to integrate the CPU eventually. My favorite strategy for that is still an agreement with VIA for 28nm where they cooperate to put the two on the same die and legally speaking it's manufactured by VIA with them giving out large 'IP' royalties (proportional to die size, not like real IP in the handheld world) to NV. This would completely bypass the x86 license issue, although it might be a problem that VIA's license expires in a few years and will have to be renegotiated AFAIK...

Would you care to define "notebook marketshare based on design wins"? Does that mean notebook designs or chip sales, the two are not mutually inclusive. Dell is worth more than Eurocomm, but both are a design win.

That said, given that notebook design cycles are much longer than desktops, I think notebooks will lag desktops by about a year in any changes. Also, desktops change every quarter, notebooks once a year. I don't expect the changes to be public until the 2010 round of notebooks.
FWIW, Hara explicitly said it would apply to both the number of design wins and chip sales. But okay, that makes sense - so you'd basically predict NV to lose significant desktop share in the back-to-school and winter cycles?

Hara is trying to skillfully bend the science, basically if you stay below Tg, you are OK, but no GPU in use will, fan or no fan. If you go above the Tg (80 C or so) it doesn't get noticeably weaker, so it isn't WORSE. He is trying to explain that while pretending they don't understand, and science hasn't caught up with 'melting' yet. (Yes, technically it isn't melting, it is glassification, but still....)
Ahhh, okay. So that's the side of the story I was looking for - that'd certainly be very very disingenuous, but it definitely is relatively plausible. I'd love to see NV's reply to specifically to that, although for a number of reasons it's pretty obvious they'll never comment...

If that is $150/unit, how much do you think it would cost to do a recall, and replace those notebooks. Think $1000/unit average is fair? Plus $200 for costs/handling/phone support/logistics? (this isn't a high number from what I am told, phone tech support calls are $35 or so in cost each). That would mean 8 * 100M there.
While your initial reasoning makes good sense, you suddenly jump to calculating the cost of a recall (which I do realize would be enormous) while my question was whether it would be legally necessary to do one... :) Plus, do you really think HP and Dell want to recall such a large number of notebooks anyway? Is it really in their best interests, and at such a late stage?

Then there are the suits. Keep in mind, there are product liability suits with damage multipliers, shareholder/SEC violation suits, there will inevitably be more shareholder suits when discovery happens (Trust me, I know where the bodies are buried here, I just don't have the docs in my hands). This will add up, not to mention money and executive time sucked up by stupidities and depositions.
The lawsuits are the big question mark here, yes. If they go really badly, then I agree NV is potentially in very deep trouble. However, these things do tend to be hard to predict no matter the facts, so I won't try to speculate on that myself.

NV is covering up tons of stuff. They are mismanaged. They are arrogant pricks. They are on the bottom. The line stretches to the horizon, and they won't get up from this.
Well at least you're making specific/verifiable claims now! ;) We'll see how it goes, although (excluding the lawsuits) I suspect that even if OEMs were pissed off, the most important factor remains the quality of the product line-up and that's an entirely separate question.

What vendetta? Calling someone/something because they are repeatedly wrong and unethical is hardly a vendetta. I can't help it if they keep digging the hole deeper. If I am wrong on anything, call me on it, but I have yet to see anything that I am factually wrong on with respect to NV.

Heck, NV would call me on it, likely sue me if I was wrong. It hasn't happened yet. Then again, I would love to get subpoena power over them, I know what is being hidden, I just can't prove it. Yet.........

-Charlie

If it was worth the money, possibly but seriously you think the Inq is worth sueing? Because of your tirads it just makes the Inq look like a gospel against nV, and the amount of missinformation you post there added to your wonky analysis of situations really doesn't do you any favors. You only made one valid statement in the past 2 years and that was the bump metal issues and even that you screwed up with adding in other lines of cards which never were part of the issue. If you want to write an encyclopedia of missinformation go ahead but don't call it good journalism, for you to think that it is well if you think nV is arrogant, maybe you reconsider your position. All your articles are quite shallow even your posts here are too. If you could expound upon what you say I'm sure you can, but you can't as you said you have to find proof, well hmm most of your "proof" is actually just conjecture outside of the bump metal issues, and trust me I highly doubt you actually wrote that article yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also know some definitely non-public things which individuals investors managed to get from NV IR. Pretty retarded behavior...
It was neither given nor gained legally so you should post it - or are you planning a scoop article and holding fire till then?

Jawed

"Nvidia is looking at openly hostile OEM customers and trying to woo them without any DX11 parts. ATI will have DX11 parts in the pipeline very shortly, and it is being greeted with open arms."

We will see, won't we?

It was neither given nor gained legally so you should post it - or are you planning a scoop article and holding fire till then?
Oh gosh no, these are old things which are either public now or outdated.
That's pretty bad indeed. FWIW, there are still a few 9800GTs in the non-XPS Studios and the all-in-ones with MCP79 have actually been released very recently. But yeah, it's clear Dell has very significantly reduced their share of NV GPUs.

I'm not sure I'd conclude that this is mostly because of the packaging issue. After all, RV620/RV710/RV730 are all very good chips, and NV would have to sell G98/G96s at absurdly low margins to compete - especially for such high-volume OEM design slots. If NV's current overall GPU margins are ~20%, what would G98's margins be like? It's possible that the packaging issue was a contributing factor, but if that's the only objective evidence I'm not convinced it was the main one.

Which was part of everything I was trying to explain. Yes it is their right (and obligation to their customers) to make sure they are party to any financial agreements that they are obliged to pay. It's one of the most basic principles of trying to avoid fraud.
Now this isn't to say that Nvidia is trying to defraud the insurance company. However, by denying them access, it prevents the company from determining whether compensation is fair and whether or not it thinks Nvidia is trying to defraud them.

Regards,
SB

Yeah the thing DK posted was pretty clear, and given that I can only assume either Nvidia made a retarded move (but it is strange that they repeatedly did it), or they just said some verbal things instead of signing up for an official obligation then could not back out, or they had some lawyers involved who thought that in this case it would be protected under the clause mentioning first aid or some other crazy reason that they thought it was justified.

I have a hard time believing any business would repeatedly knowingly violate a contract like that. Of course it seems Nvidia has the ability still to get NUFI to pay whatever they can negotiate to and make the difference up from their own cash reserves.

Well apparantely internal Apple knowledge base articles specificly name G92 parts as being prone to this type of failure. Whether it's large scale or small scale is hard to tell, but it was worrysome enough for technical support that they created some KB's for it.

And I'd say Apple has a fairly large sample size.

Likewise, there's claims that the AIBs themselves have noted higher than normal failures for G92/94. Unfortunately, there's no real way to verify that without having an inside source. AIBs would be hesitant to bite the hand that feeds them. Nvidia haven't been shy in the past with reducing chip allocation to AIBs that don't toe the line.

I'm sure most of this stuff will get aired in court if Nvidia doesn't choose to settle out of court.

Regards,
SB

The thing is about failure rates is the increase could be huge, but the overall rate still low. If you go from 1/10^9 to 1/10^6 that is a huge increase, but overall it is still tiny.

It is like all those health articles that say X doubles your odds for an untimely death due to Y. It is likely true, but unless you actually know the odds you do not know how serious it is and how much impetus there is to change your behavior to avoid the risky behavior. That isn't to say the it cannot be a PR disaster like BPA, or even to suggest that it is even it that realm or of low odds. I assume hardware failure must be much higher since about everyone I know has had something go poof in their system. Whether video card, mobo, power supply etc.

Sxotty: Thanks, I'm glad you found my explanation to be concise and clear.

Regarding NV margins:

ATM, NV basically makes almost all it's profit on pro cards. Their margins on consumer are not great b/c they are trying to retain share. You can check their quarterly announcements.

Chipsets don't really turn a profit for NV, but they do bring in revenues and sales account access for other parts.

Ion likely has some reasonable margins, but they don't have much traction yet AFAICT. They have some design wins, but the products aren't getting bought by customers yet, so no volume. Their mobile phone stuff is in a super competitive market, where they are going against entrenched competitors (e.g. TI).

Anyway, I suspect that NV will probably have the highest performance single GPU this time around, the question is timing. It sounds like ATI will be several months earlier and may be the only one to really hit the holiday season this year...

WRT bad bumps:

Charlie can correct me if I'm wrong, but the issue was when they started changing their solder to a lead-free version. The 'bad bumps' were not a problem when you used lead solder. However, the newer and ROHS-mandated solder and bad bumps together caused problems.

DK

Oh, I thought it was more generalized as all of the Inq...I didn't mean to be misleading.

Still, another bit of not-wonderful news for Team nVidia.

(Oh, and yeah I am I bit obtuse about these things at times. My reputation on such things tends to precede me so I sometimes choose to tread lightly. ;) )

WRT bad bumps:

Charlie can correct me if I'm wrong, but the issue was when they started changing their solder to a lead-free version. The 'bad bumps' were not a problem when you used lead solder. However, the newer and ROHS-mandated solder and bad bumps together caused problems.

Nope, the eutectic bumps were one of the fixes, the second being higher Tg underfill. NV seems to have done some chips with eutectic/low Tg, others with lead/high Tg, and yet others with eutectic/high Tg. The problem is that you can't tell which is which, and it _SEEMS_ to be purposely hidden.

Then they missed the PI layer, likely because they had wafers parked before packaging while they figured things out, or it was incompatible. Either way, all the packaging people I talked to recoiled in horror when I told them that. If you read the comments at the bottom of the article where I pointed that out, you will see one of them, from Intel (claimed anyway).

Basically, the problem is basically shitty engineering, no testing, and a ship then debug attitude. I could go into great detail, but if NV wants that, my management consulting rates are very reasonable.

They basically blew off things that were safely ignored 5 years ago, but are killing chips now, and don't seem to have any inclination to fix things in more recent models. At the end of 2008, my sources tell me they were still barking up the wrong tree.

It is the same problem as the Xbox 360 RROD. Intel saw it and avoided it long before it became an issue. They are that good. ATI was somewhat clued in, and got an earful when MS had the RROD, same exact problem. ATI took that lesson to heart. Nvidia seems to still believe that their arrogance, coupled with a few speeches by Dear Leader, will bend the laws of physics. So far, that hasn't worked.

The main problem is differing thermal expansions, and a frankly bewildering choice of materials. Changing some of the materials helps, but does not eliminate the problem.

Also, it isn't ROHS, that doesn't come into effect until 2010, bumps have a waiver. That said, if you look at the various companies packaging methodologies, Intel put out ROHS compliant bumps some time last year if I remember right. They have it anyway.

ATI/AMD is doing it as well, but it is taking longer. From what I hear, it is a REALLY hard problem, and I should check up on progress. Given that I was able to dig up Intel's secret sauce (Answer to your next question: NO!), AMD should be able to as well.

Nvidia, well, you could say their packaging people are a tad overworked and understaffed. They have been busy doing other things over the last two years. Wanna bet they started the ROHS complaint work late? Wanna bet they are going to cut corners on testing?

We will see.

-Charlie

ION was about 2/3 of $180M revenue:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/136355-nvidia-f1q10-qtr-end-4-26-09-earnings-call-transcript?page=-1

(Gill's questioning) with Apple accounting for >~50% of that. Chipsets overall appear to have a gross margin of >~31%.

Jawed

Bwahahaha! You really think that isn't an utter joke? Did you hear the call? NV sleaze at it's finest!

The quote is......
"Jen-Hsun Huang

Okay, and so I would expect about -- out of that $180 million, about two-thirds of it, maybe a little bit less than that comes from the ION chipset and the way to think about that is in Q2 of last year, one year ago, that amount was approximately zero and so that gives you a sense for the adoption of our products in that segment. "

OK, sounds good so far, until you get to the next part......

"Rajvindra Gill - Needham & Company

Right, but are you including the 9400M that you are showing to Apple as the -- as ION or is this actually two-thirds of that $180 million design wins with other companies outside of Apple that are using ION?"

OK, someone has a brain on their shoulders, calling NV on Ion as Atom + 9400, and that was the question asked.

The reply was priceless:
"Jen-Hsun Huang

We don’t distinguish the two -- I mean, it’s the same processor from our perspective. The -- we call it the platform ION and increasingly people are calling the chip ION, and so we don’t distinguish the two, whatever people want to call it. I mean, when people buy the chipset from us, they call it ION. When the put it into the box and they brand it from the outside, because GeForce is such a terrific brand and contributes so much to the brand value of the end product, people call it GeForce. Do you see what I’m saying? So people buy the ION but they sell it as a GeForce. "

Wow, masterful twisting of logic there. He could have said, "you caught me with my pants down", but instead, now the entire world is Ion! What a #(*$&ing joke.

If you talk to NV, they change names, wording and brands to do things like this all the time. They know what they are doing, they know it is there to obfuscate, and they know all but the dumbest will call them on it. But still they try. SIGH.

And they wonder why people don't trust them.

-Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back