NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how these fixes are Nvidia's solution to the problem. It's up to Dell and HP to do right by their laptop customers, not Nvidia. Nvidia should just make sure they're doing whatever they can to ease the burden on their own customers, the OEMs. And if the average failure compensation is indeed 150$, that seems a fair bit more than the actual purchase price of a G84/G86.

Unless they are soldered down, as is the case with most of the bad parts. If you chipset goes, you need a new mobo, and that is what is mostly biting HP, the chipsets. How much is a new laptop mobo, with the CPU soldered down in many cases? Plus paying someone to repair it, tech support calls, etc etc?

And I really do wish you would get off this singleminded focus on Nvidia as if they somehow stand out as being particularly ruthless in their corporate evil. There hardly a chip company out there that hasn't made seriously problematic products at one time or another and tried to make the best of the situation.

They are particularly evil in this. They are denying any responsibility years later, and not even putting out a list of defective parts so that customers can protect themselves and redress problems they have. They are leaving the customer high and dry.

To date, Nvidia has not identified a single bad part. To date, Nvidia has not identified a single OEM affected. To date, Nvidia has not explained what the problem is. To date, Nvidia has not given any direction as to how to minimize the problem. To date, Nvidia has not helped a single end user with a problem.

How is this responsible again? Can you name me a single other chip company that has acted this badly? I have owned a computer since 1980, and followed the industry pretty closely, and I can't think of ONE.

Other than that, I've yet to see data that effectively shows that models other than G84 and G86 (in laptops) are showing really high failure rates in the field.

Here is a clue for you, blue underlined words in the thread are called links. There are several. Go click on them, and it will take you to a magical 'other page'. Read those.

Then again, if you still believe that, they you are likely hopeless. You obviously haven't read the thread, much less understood it, so I wonder why I am wasting my breath.

-Charlie

Other than that, I've yet to see data that effectively shows that models other than G84 and G86 (in laptops) are showing really high failure rates in the field.
Timeline from the insurance company claim:
6 Aug 2008 Dell claimed for G86
4 Sep 2008 Toshiba claimed for G73
11 Sep 2008 Apple claimed for G84
9 Oct 2008 HP, Quanta, Compal, Asus made claims(unspecified chips)
10 Oct 2008 Asus and Samsung for notebook repairs(unspecified chips)
29 Oct 2008 Fujitsu Siemens claims for NV42, C51, G72 and G73
30 Jan 2009 Good will payment to Dell for $US10m

Problem now above has become public record is that all the OEMs can cross check against the other claims and make further notices of demand against nvidia(ie if Dell received $10m for G86 HP, Apple et al are likely to seek similar compensation).

Count 5 is prior knowledge, if any nvidia employee was aware of problems before 31 Jan 2008 could get really nasty. There was a poster on techreport about a year ago claiming to have had read a document circulated round nvidia engineering relating to pin failure(sorry cant find a link at the moment...). If the lawyers get a hold of that.

Big mess :cry:

I don't see how these fixes are Nvidia's solution to the problem. It's up to Dell and HP to do right by their laptop customers, not Nvidia. Nvidia should just make sure they're doing whatever they can to ease the burden on their own customers, the OEMs. And if the average failure compensation is indeed 150$, that seems a fair bit more than the actual purchase price of a G84/G86.

Yes but that hardly makes up for damaged reputation with OEM end users who don't care what part manufacturer was at fault. If it was a Dell machine with a failed Nvidia part then as far as the end user is concerned it's a Dell problem. And thus Dell gets a reputation that their notebook quality "sucks." Same goes for HP and other affected OEMs.

That then goes far beyond any 150 USD per failure compensation Nvidia may be offering. Especially, if (as is almost always the case) the OEM's are following recommended guidelines by Nvidia for operating conditions for affected chips.

And as stated before Nvidia aren't the only ones in the history of computing that have had defective parts. How they are dealing with it however does stand out if the problem is as widespread as claimed.

Not only in their resolutions with affected OEMs but how they are handling those resolutions with regards to the company that is insuring them.

Now to be fair this hasn't gone to court yet and perhaps Nvidia has a good reason for how they are handling this. But currently it doesn't leave them looking very good.

Regards,
SB

ISTR some info coming out a short while ago WRT RMA rates for various graphics cards but can't recall whether G92/G94 were included in the list.
http://gpucafe.com/2009/03/modern-graphics-card-failure-rates/ and the original french: http://www.hardware.fr/news/10126/taux-sav-cartes-graphiques.html
Minimum 500 samples per entry. Does not show any G92 problem, but of course a lot of these are made after the chip update in july. And especially the 9800gtx is generally kept quite cold compared to laptop chips.

OK, well, my guys call it A0....Ax, for minor, B0.....Bx for the next major step. All the NV docs I have seen have the steps listed as [letter][single digit number], not two digit number as you suggest. First may be A11, followed by A1, but who really cares about semantics on that level. If NV wants to change names on a whim, why don't they just call the first step Ion GTS250?
Argh, no - that's still not how it works at all, and both them and ATI have been consistent in using that scheme for many many years. Different semiconductor companies use different spin naming schemes, but this remains at the engineering level so it's nearly always coherent internally. Intel beginning at A0 is just one possibility, although a very frequent one.

NV's naming (i.e. what you read on the package and probably docs too - EDITed thanks to Dave below, oops) is as follows: A1 = first tape-out; A2 = metal layer respin; A3 = second metal layer respin; etc.; B1: first silicon layer respin; B2: first metal layer respin applied to the first silicon respin; etc.

AS you point out, in the *docs* you're likely to see the redundant first 1 removed, so replace the codes above by A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, etc. - this is the exact same way ATI does it and, afaik, always has. Let's take a few examples: G92 required one metal respin. Both RV670 and G94 worked on the first tape-out. MCP79 aka MCP7A aka Ion was on B12/B2, so that's an unknown number of metal respins to the first silicon spin, and after that one silicon spin and one extra metal spin to that silicon respin - this would indicate a minimum of 2 respins (one silicon, one metal) but possibly 1+ more metal respin (A2).

There, is that better? *sigh*

I was specifically told that NV was paying HP $150 per failure average, and that was from NV IR directly to an stock buyer.
One day I'll understand how Hara gets away with revealing so much non-public info privately to stock buyers/owners... heh.

I also hear that the percentage of payments given out goes Dell, HP, others, with the little guys getting shut out totally. NV at least appears to be stiffing everyone they can get away with. [...]
Ah yeah, that's definitely quite bad. There's not much to say for them here (saying the small guy always gets ripped off isn't very fair), so I won't even try.

The OEMs are pissed off in a way that you will understand shortly. I can't say how without scooping a few articles I am researching now, but things look VERY grim for NV later this year, and next. NV screwed their customers, both OEM and end users. It is payback time.
While in theory that makes absolutely perfect sense, I still look forward to you making a sufficiently specific prediction in your articles that it can be clearly said afterwards whether you were right or wrong (e.g. your claim that NV would leave the MCP business ;) just kidding!)

For example, Hara claimed in their latest CC (at the JPMorgan conference, I think it's still archived fwiw) that they would definitely increase their notebook marketshare in the Calpella cycle based on the design wins they have secured for their 40nm chips. Would you be willing to publicly claim bullshit on that? And if so, what do you think is the dynamic that Hara is missing?

Yeah, I had a LONG chat with Hara about that, and the summary of NV's claim is that what is going on is a new form of failure that they don't understand, and science hasn't caught up with yet. I was told this LONG before it cropped up in a CC, and I laughed at him when he said it.

I laughed because I talked to 4 or 5 packaging experts, and they ALL told me what was happening, some with micrographs to illustrate. They all said the exact same thing, and it totally lined up with what I researched for my articles, and what the guys in the teardown shop found as well.
Wow. That's... bad. I could honestly believe that science sometimes does lag reality in packaging, but it's hard not to be infinitely skeptical given your second paragraph.

The failures are caused by heat cycling, and no one I have EVER talked to has given me one iota of evidence of how Hara's claim can be right. Since NV can't come up with the science either, I will call bullshit until they do.

Lowering the temps lessens the strain on the parts, but does not eliminate it. It does lengthen the time to failure, but that isn't a fix. I have said this many times as well.
Well, FWIW I'm not sure that contradicts my random idea above. Let's say that the thermal cycling that the packaging experts describe *is* a major problem, and it'd make the defect rate jump from 2% to 5% as I said. But then, in ADDITION to that, a specific temperature range increases it to 25%. NV can't admit that basically all their parts, no matter what you do, have a failure rate that's noticeably higher than it should be. You can't get away from that later in a lawsuit.

However it doesn't exclude the possibility that there are actually two problems (and maybe it's not 2->5->25, but rather 2->10->20 or anything that'd make the first problem more important; as I said, I have no idea and these are just made up numbers). Unless the packaging experts know every technical detail *and* the precise failure rate info, they couldn't be 100% sure - of course, I do agree it's still more likely that NV is just being either retarded or trying to pass as retarded.

The fixes are a joke, do you want your laptop fan on 24/7? How much battery does that suck? How much noise does that make? NV is obligated to do a recall, but they won't.
I agree that fix is bullshit, but out of curiosity are they really legally obligated to do a recall? Certainly it'd seem normal for OEM relationships to deteriorate otherwise, but that's a separate issue.

Why is this good, ethical, or even acceptable? It sure as hell isn't to me, no matter how they spin it.
Well, I don't think I need to answer that - but *if* you're right and admitting to the full scale of the problem would nearly kill them, do you *honestly* believe that any other company or any other management team in the exact same situation wouldn't do something very similar? It'd be quite normal to feel outraged, just try not to look too surprised.

Well, FWIW I'm not sure that contradicts my random idea above. Let's say that the thermal cycling that the packaging experts describe *is* a major problem, and it'd make the defect rate jump from 2% to 5% as I said. But then, in ADDITION to that, a specific temperature range increases it to 25%. NV can't admit that basically all their parts, no matter what you do, have a failure rate that's noticeably higher than it should be. You can't get away from that later in a lawsuit.

However it doesn't exclude the possibility that there are actually two problems (and maybe it's not 2->5->25, but rather 2->10->20 or anything that'd make the first problem more important; as I said, I have no idea and these are just made up numbers). Unless the packaging experts know every technical detail *and* the precise failure rate info, they couldn't be 100% sure - of course, I do agree it's still more likely that NV is just being either retarded or trying to pass as retarded.

Er.. it isn't exactly like this. Power cycling issues, as I told before, depend mainly on the Maximum less minimum operating temperatures, and of course on thermal elongation charachteristics of materials involved, thickness of the solder, etc.
The relation to the temperature delta is exponential, while the relation about dimension is approximately quadratic. Materials have a great influence on this, of course. I.e. I'm currently designing power components (Industrial applications). Industrial standards ask for a power cycling on the prototypes of more than 20000 cycles with a temperature delta of about 100°C (junction-heatsink). There is a relation between this cycling and the real life of the parts with a given real -life temperature delta and, as I said, it is of the exponential type. If you get something wrong in the design or manufacturing, you can have this lowered even to 2000 cycles. So, in a real case, if 20000 cycles are reached on the prototypes means an average life of 10 years with a given operating temperature delta, 2000 cycles can lead to only 1 years of average life, and of course being this a statistical function, you have some parts breaking first and other later in a normal distribution (Gauss curve).
Of course notebook GPUs have an higher temperature delta so are more prone to breaking, and with an higher temperature delta the failure rate could not only double, but be ten times higher or more.

Last edited by a moderator:
NV's naming *on their chips* (i.e. what you read on the package) is as follows: A11 = first tape-out; A12 = metal layer respin; A13 = second metal layer respin; etc.; B11: first silicon layer respin; B12: first metal layer respin applied to the first silicon respin; etc.
Which chips are you thinking of (in terms of whats stamped on the package)? Looking at some of my old chip scans (G71, G71, HSI, NV42, NV43, NV44) the only one that had a 3 character notation was NV44, all the rest use a two character. Newer chips, such as GT200 and G92b use a 2 character notation actually stamped on the package as well.

Er.. it isn't exactly like this. Power cycling issues, as I told before, depend mainly on the Maximum less minimum operating temperatures, and of course on thermal elongation charachteristics of materials involved, thickness of the solder, etc.
[...]
Of course notebook GPUs have an higher temperature delta so are more prone to breaking, and with an higher temperature delta the failure rate could not only double, but be ten times higher or more.
That's a very nice summary, although I'm not sure I really thought about it very differently. My point is that NV explicitly claims that *above* that temperature range, the problem is significantly less severe. Which would lead to the existence of a second and probably completely separate issue, and would also be why they claim the science hasn't caught up with it.

This could be a complete lie for all I know; I'm just trying to figure out if there's any way to make that claim coherent with the rest; i.e. could Charlie be right, and yet NV also be right - which would mean there are actually two problems at play and the one Charlie is describing would be less severe but would affect so many more parts etc. that they don't want to fess up to it. As I said, I'm pretty confident some of Charlie's key claims are right, but what I'm not sure personally of is that they explain the full magnitude of the problem.

Dave Baumann: Gah, you're 100% right. That's an embarassing brainfart - thanks for the correction, edited the original post now.

That's a very nice summary, although I'm not sure I really thought about it very differently. My point is that NV explicitly claims that *above* that temperature range, the problem is significantly less severe. Which would lead to the existence of a second and probably completely separate issue, and would also be why they claim the science hasn't caught up with it.

This is quite strange, because normally all thermal related problems of course become worse with the temperature being higher.
Problem however is not the temperature range by itself, it's the temperature delta during cycling. Let's say a certain system operates the fans so the GPU works when the notebook is on between 30 and 70°C, and another system between 70°C and 90°C:well, the second case is far better than the first one. So, if Nvidia is saying that the minimum temperature of operation should be higher (and the maximum is of course fixed) then they are certainly implying some thermal cycling issue.

One day I'll understand how Hara gets away with revealing so much non-public info privately to stock buyers/owners... heh.

The thing I have learned from talking to stock analysts is that they all know the rules and most respect them. Several don't though, and they know they can get away with almost anything. One lawyer I talked to about it said RegFD is basically ignored by the SEC now, a sad state of affairs.

Of all the companies that I talk to, only NV consistently violates this practice, others may slip, but NV seems to do it as practice, playing favorites with analysts. If the IR department ever gets subpoenaed, they are in deep deep deep shit.

While in theory that makes absolutely perfect sense, I still look forward to you making a sufficiently specific prediction in your articles that it can be clearly said afterwards whether you were right or wrong (e.g. your claim that NV would leave the MCP business ;) just kidding!)

NV _IS_ out of the MCP business, mainly because chipsets are not going to exist in a year or so. Stop and think about it, what is a chipset? It is, classically, a memory controller, GPU, SATA, USB, PCIe, low speed IO, and a boot rom.

Of that list, memory controller and GPU are the difficult ones, the rest are trivially licensable IP. MC and GPU are gone in a year, and will never come back, PCIe, probably the next hardest one, is going on die shortly. So, do you think NV can make margins necessary to build a SATA, USB and boot ROM chip? Even if they call it XRP or something stupid? Chipsets are dead dead dead. The end.

For example, Hara claimed in their latest CC (at the JPMorgan conference, I think it's still archived fwiw) that they would definitely increase their notebook marketshare in the Calpella cycle based on the design wins they have secured for their 40nm chips. Would you be willing to publicly claim bullshit on that? And if so, what do you think is the dynamic that Hara is missing?

Would you care to define "notebook marketshare based on design wins"? Does that mean notebook designs or chip sales, the two are not mutually inclusive. Dell is worth more than Eurocomm, but both are a design win.

That said, given that notebook design cycles are much longer than desktops, I think notebooks will lag desktops by about a year in any changes. Also, desktops change every quarter, notebooks once a year. I don't expect the changes to be public until the 2010 round of notebooks.

Wow. That's... bad. I could honestly believe that science sometimes does lag reality in packaging, but it's hard not to be infinitely skeptical given your second paragraph.

If you look at the graphs I put in my article, the Namics U8439-1 underfill loses more than 2 orders of magnitude of stiffness between about 60-80C. What temps do GPUs run at? What temp do you think the non-cooled underside of the GPU is at? All it needs to do is hit 6x degrees, and you are hosed. The

Hara is trying to skillfully bend the science, basically if you stay below Tg, you are OK, but no GPU in use will, fan or no fan. If you go above the Tg (80 C or so) it doesn't get noticeably weaker, so it isn't WORSE. He is trying to explain that while pretending they don't understand, and science hasn't caught up with 'melting' yet. (Yes, technically it isn't melting, it is glassification, but still....)

I agree that fix is bullshit, but out of curiosity are they really legally obligated to do a recall? Certainly it'd seem normal for OEM relationships to deteriorate otherwise, but that's a separate issue.

Well, I don't think I need to answer that - but *if* you're right and admitting to the full scale of the problem would nearly kill them, do you *honestly* believe that any other company or any other management team in the exact same situation wouldn't do something very similar? It'd be quite normal to feel outraged, just try not to look too surprised.

Well, assuming dell gets roughly what HP does, that means $10M/$150 ~= 67K. If you read the suit, you would see that it isn't a total payment, just a down payment in effect. So that means 67K notebooks in the initial batch. How many do you think were sold? I think the $150K number is way low, it was early on, and HP will come after more when they learn how much NV knew.

So, if you assume the $10M is an initial payment with more to come, and I have good reason to believe this is true, but I can't expound on that, lets just assume it will be double, so $20M to dell. If Dell is about 20% of the market, that would be $100M to cover the entire market. NV set aside $200M, so my estimates are low.

If that is $150/unit, how much do you think it would cost to do a recall, and replace those notebooks. Think $1000/unit average is fair? Plus $200 for costs/handling/phone support/logistics? (this isn't a high number from what I am told, phone tech support calls are $35 or so in cost each). That would mean 8 * 100M there.

Then there are the suits. Keep in mind, there are product liability suits with damage multipliers, shareholder/SEC violation suits, there will inevitably be more shareholder suits when discovery happens (Trust me, I know where the bodies are buried here, I just don't have the docs in my hands). This will add up, not to mention money and executive time sucked up by stupidities and depositions.

NV is wounded now, they are facing down *3* lawsuits that I am aware of, and they have pissed off everyone in the industry. To me, that is mismanagement, but is that a shock to anyone who follows the company? I have said for a few years that if you are are arrogant pricks when you are on top, people grin and bear it, but will line up to put the boot in when you fall. If you stay arrogant, they will only get back in line once they have had their turn.

NV is covering up tons of stuff. They are mismanaged. They are arrogant pricks. They are on the bottom. The line stretches to the horizon, and they won't get up from this.

-Charlie

- but *if* you're right and admitting to the full scale of the problem would nearly kill them, do you *honestly* believe that any other company or any other management team in the exact same situation wouldn't do something very similar? It'd be quite normal to feel outraged, just try not to look too surprised.
I'm not sensing any surprise, but everyone seems to be knocking Charlie for being a bit outraged about what is clearly outrageous behavior...that's the bit I don't get. :???:

Isn't it fair to at least be a bit surprised by how large the financial damage could be? I sure was.

NV is covering up tons of stuff. They are mismanaged. They are arrogant pricks. They are on the bottom. The line stretches to the horizon, and they won't get up from this.
Details please? If you can't say 'em publicly because of any reason, please e-mail/PM me about 'em. I promise to keep the info private, I'm just infinitely curious and have been waiting for karma to bitchslap nVidia back for a long time. ;)

I'm not sensing any surprise, but everyone seems to be knocking Charlie for being a bit outraged about what is clearly outrageous behavior...that's the bit I don't get. :???:

Well, Charlie was outraged long before the outrageous behaviour. I'm not sure why his vendetta deserves a pat on the back even if half of what he claims turns out to be somewhat true.

Details please? If you can't say 'em publicly because of any reason, please e-mail/PM me about 'em. I promise to keep the info private, I'm just infinitely curious and have been waiting for karma to bitchslap nVidia back for a long time. ;)

Yeah, we know. :D

Well, Charlie was outraged long before the outrageous behaviour. I'm not sure why his vendetta deserves a pat on the back even if half of what he claims turns out to be somewhat true.
Did you notice how I did NOT mention that card-that-shall-not-be-named? I bloody almost hurt myself not mentioning it.... :???:

Suffice to say that nVidia has done a couple of things in the past that could very possibly darken peoples good opinion of them, mmm-kay? ;)

Because so far no one else has done even a quarter of the stuff Charlie has? Heck, I haven't seen any website come up with an Electron Microscope to demonstrate their stuff. If you read the articles and seen the pictures and read them alongside the e-mails from Hara you know that nV are flat out lying. Charlie at least deserves a pat on the back for going through with this even though half of the industry things he's a raving nut. He has the pictures, a smoking gun and still nV IR replies that it's untrue.

nVidia can still afford this behavior but any other kind of company would have massive recalls by now. Burning coffee makers, exploding tires, light up plasma TV's short circuiting pool lights. and that's all relatively low tech compared to GPU's or Chipsets. I have to explain this to customers, colleagues and family because their laptops go black and never go back because unlike Shaidar I have seen a fair share of HP's and some Dells bite the bullet and we're a relatively small company that can quickly get a replacement or repair done as a HP Partner.

Charlie is the new Douglas Quaid.

And yes, sometimes he's flat out wrong. but hey, that's what Gossip and Rumour is for, but this isn't either of them.

What vendetta? Calling someone/something because they are repeatedly wrong and unethical is hardly a vendetta. I can't help it if they keep digging the hole deeper. If I am wrong on anything, call me on it, but I have yet to see anything that I am factually wrong on with respect to NV.

Heck, NV would call me on it, likely sue me if I was wrong. It hasn't happened yet. Then again, I would love to get subpoena power over them, I know what is being hidden, I just can't prove it. Yet.........

-Charlie

Kek. Nvidia is not really in the business of putting lawsuits on journalists websites. Sorry Charlie. But you aren't worth the expense or money of doing so. You are not nearly the PiA you think you are.

Charlie is like a fly that I'm sure NVIDIA would like to squash, but it's hardly worth the time or expense for them to actually respond to allegations on his website.

It's a little comical that Charlie insists that NVIDIA is doing nothing to help anyone with this issue, and yet they are setting aside two hundred million dollars to try to help resolve this issue? Hilarious.

NV is the one who provides the GPU, but each vendor like Dell, HP, etc is the one who actually assembles everything inside the laptop. Considering that these other companies assemble everything, why didn't major failures show up in their own in-house testing of these laptops? Did they even do any rigorous testing in-house before they started selling the laptops to end users? Why did these companies sell these laptops to end users for months or even years if they had a defective part? Did they want to take advantage of the revenue stream while leaving all liability for the GPU maker? Why isn't Charlie all over their case about that, why isn't he hounding them for selling "defective" laptops to end users? Hypocrisy at it's best.

NVIDIA is a small company compared to the likes of Dell, HP, Apple. If anything, it looks like NVIDIA is shouldering all the blame here, and making all the payouts. I just find it unbelievable that these big companies couldn't find these problems with in-house testing before they starting selling these laptops. Unfortunately for NVIDIA, this is a like quadruple whammy: not only do they have to shell out hundreds of millions of dollars (while Dell, HP, Apple, and everyone else in the world can deny any and all responsibility for putting such laptops out in the field to consumers), they get hit with lawsuits, their reputation is hurt, and this gives incentives for big companies like Apple to start forming their own GPU development groups.

On an aside, how come we don't see articles from Charlie the fly about all the monopoly abuses of companies like Intel and Microsoft? Where was Charlie all those years when Intel was trying to gut AMD with absolutely shady and underhanded business tactics? Where was Charlie when Intel recently was and is selling package systems with Atom processor for less than the price of the Atom processor itself, in order to cut NVIDIA ION out of the market? All this guy really does is talk negatively about NVIDIA, it's like he is obsessed with them, like they lured his girlfriend away from him in a distant past or something. We *know* that NVIDIA messed up, we *know* that they are paying a dear price for it now and in the future. Duh? No need to say the same things over and over again. If NVIDIA was really the evil company that Charlie tries to portray, then why in the world would they be actively offering technologies that are literally revolutionizing Science, Medicine, Mathematics, Finance, Weather, etc etc etc??? Of course, an "arrogant prick" (to use his own words) like Charlie is never going to give them credit for that, he's just going to throw stones at them from the sidelines.

NV is the one who provides the GPU, but each vendor like Dell, HP, etc is the one who actually assembles everything inside the laptop. Considering that these other companies assemble everything, why didn't major failures show up in their own in-house testing of these laptops? Did they even do any rigorous testing in-house before they started selling the laptops to end users? Why did these companies sell these laptops to end users for months or even years if they had a defective part? Did they want to take advantage of the revenue stream while leaving all liability for the GPU maker? Why isn't Charlie all over their case about that, why isn't he hounding them for selling "defective" laptops to end users? Hypocrisy at it's best.

Eh? One OEM, ok there's a good chance they may have done something outside of what Nvidia recommended in their guidelines.

Two OEM's well ok, it's still possible.

Ten or more OEM's? Willingly violating guidelines set by Nvidia and thus causing their systems to fail? And ruining their reputation with end users (usually large corporations buying thousands of machines at a time)?

Ummm, yeah.

Nvidia made a mistake, plain and simple. And from what is currently known appears to be covering up as much as they can rather than do a recall.

The implications of this are far worse than the Sony battery failures that were all the news not that long ago. And yet it receives less exposure than the Sony battery failure. A failed battery can easily be replaced at minimal cost. A GPU soldered onto a laptop MB is a significantly more problematic issue.

Maybe because Sony did the right thing and issued a recall and took care of their customers. Nvidia on the other hand is doing a great job so far of sweeping it under the carpet. Although this upcoming lawsuit(s) could be a fly in the ointment.

With that said, I hope to god that Charlie is wrong in his predition that Nvidia won't be able to recover from this. The last thing we need is Nvidia exiting the market and leaving ATI as the sole major GPU maker until Intel brings out a competitive GPU.

Regards,
SB

What you are seeing is "mob mentality". If one big and powerful guy points the finger at a little guy, then everyone else is going to do the same thing to save their own @$$. It could be justified in this case, but we really don't have all the intricate details of the RMA's and problems that were arising.

The implications of this are far worse than the Sony battery failures that were all the news not that long ago. And yet it receives less exposure than the Sony battery failure. A failed battery can easily be replaced at minimal cost. A GPU soldered onto a laptop MB is a significantly more problematic issue.

Maybe because Sony did the right thing and issued a recall and took care of their customers.
Not to ruin your comparison or otherwise taking part in the derailing of the thread, but faulty Li-ion batteries get recalled because they're a potential fire hazard. A bum GPU is just an annoyance. The liabilities are quite different if your product is a danger to life and property than if it's just crap. There are also regulatory standards for electrical appliances, so whether a battery recall is the right thing or not probably has little to do with it (rather, it is the only option).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back