NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I hope the forces that be come down on these companies with a fury. A year of selling a product you know has issues? Wow...

Okay, so good on battery life. It sounds to me like they are not trying to impact max load situations with this fix. It appears they are trying to keep light/moderate load situations in a tighter temperature range.

Honestly Geo, I was a bit surprised when I read previous comments of yours on this situation, specifically those in which you mentioned a reduced battery life. The power draw of notebook fans is infinitesimally small compared to the semiconductors they cool.

Here are some power usage figures for an Inspiron 300m notebook. Notice the maximum power draw for the CPU fan is 2W at full load.

Well, low draws that are constant can add up. Our understanding of what's really going on here is imperfect as Nvidia has been pretty reticient on the wherefores here.

Interestingly, it appears that possibly what nvidia is actually after here is slowing down temp cycling frequency rather than range.

Well, low draws that are constant can add up. Our understanding of what's really going on here is imperfect as Nvidia has been pretty reticient on the wherefores here.

But we're not even talking about the full range of power draw here, we're talking about going from (guess) perhaps 1.3W to 1.5W. Hardly significant...

Interestingly, it appears that possibly what nvidia is actually after here is slowing down temp cycling frequency rather than range.

Well the problem is one of thermal expansion or "chip creep" so it makes sense to me at least.

Aren't you the former HP repair tech?

Yes and no. Yes in that I was recently employed as an HP technician working for a Fortune 500 company supporting some ~4k units (mostly laptops). No in that I did not lose my certification when I was laid off and thus still am technically an HP tech ;)

After thinking this threw I have two questions for Dell:

1) When did they know about this.

2) Did they continue selling laptops after they knew this was an issue.

I am sure they will blame NV (and rightfully so), but as a consumer I want to know what Dell did me to protect me as a consumer. If they sold consumers a product, knowing there was a potentially terminal defect, they too will have to bare a burden of responsiblity.

I am seriously considering calling them and inquiring about those questions and seeing about what they would charge for a restocking fee (return). I don't really want to have to deal with this situation. I cannot afford to lose the time or money with laptop repair issues and Dell/NV finger pointing.

I am sorry but people are a bit confused.

If ford was selling a car with a defective part in the ABS system and they knew it was defective, yet kept ordering and selling them then it would be their fault not the supplier when it came to lawsuits.

If ford was selling a car with a defective part in the ABS system and they knew it was defective, yet kept ordering and selling them then it would be their fault not the supplier when it came to lawsuits.

Have you read the rest of the thread? We've already hashed this one out quite thoroughly ;)

Yes and no. Yes in that I was recently employed as an HP technician working for a Fortune 500 company supporting some ~4k units (mostly laptops). No in that I did not lose my certification when I was laid off and thus still am technically an HP tech ;)

Jes' saying, what was fairly obvious to you re fan use and battery life wouldn't necessary be as obvious to the rest of us.

It doesn't hurt in that respect that they've said they're only turning it on 1/4 or 1/2 in their increased fan cycling.

Jes' saying, what was fairly obvious to you re fan use and battery life wouldn't necessary be as obvious to the rest of us.

It doesn't hurt in that respect that they've said they're only turning it on 1/4 or 1/2 in their increased fan cycling.

Fair enough. Sorry, not trying to sound like an attack dog or anything, I'm just aggressive in my pursuit of spreading knowledge :)

Well, that's the thing --what is "defective"? Defective is usually going to be defined by the mission and operating environment, not just the part. For instance, we rather famously had a bridge collapse here in Minnesota about a year ago. Some really big gusset plates were finally determined to have been not quite big enough for the load they were required to take.

But if those same gusset plates had been on your average country highway bridge across a small local river, rather than an interstate bridge across the Mississippi, they'd have done just fine.

All of which to say is, change the operating environment and potentially you can change what was a defective part into no longer being a defective part.

Potentially. Thing is, I'd say the burden of proof is on the vendor at that point, the dang thing having failed once, and if you continue to have failures even after your "environmental fix" then your already shaky credibility begins to look like self-serving horsefeathers.

We'll have to see which way it works out.

And I've got one of these chips in my own notebook, so I'm not a disinterested party here.

I had to look up "RoHS". It appears that was the anti-lead thing from a few years back.

Not surprising that AMD would take the opportunity to yell "Not us!" if they could.

I like how they added a bit to the narrative too with their explanation, a double-whammy. ;)

Yes, there is a continuing undertone of "and them other fellers might have more like that in the future for the same reason" shot throughout it, isn't there? :LOL:

Even so, it was actually edumacational as well, so I dug it.

NVidia seemed to admit to only HP notebooks originally having problems (though not in the filing I think) so if NVidia's taking a charge of $150-200m for HP notebook failures, how much more for Dell? Or, are the Dell failures included in the charge that was announced?

Is there any chance that NVidia is only making reparations to HP?

Jawed

NVidia seemed to admit to only HP notebooks originally having problems (though not in the filing I think) so if NVidia's taking a charge of $150-200m for HP notebook failures, how much more for Dell? Or, are the Dell failures included in the charge that was announced?

They noted that the charge may not cover the full amount at the time. And while HP was mentioned (was that by Nvidia?) I don't know that it was meant as all inclusive of the problem.

Is there any chance that NVidia is only making reparations to HP?

I'd say its likely. They certainly wouldn't want it to become a legal battle as that could affect other product lines.

Well, I believe I've read that HP has actually offered an extra year of warranty to people who did not buy the extended warranty. I haven't heard that about Dell. That might have some relevance to that charge as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back