NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the price sticks then I think they could really sale those. However, to me this is a pretty good sign Nvidia just wants to keep mind share as high as possible right now and quickly move on to another chip and card.

Yep, exactly. Stem the tide now and hope to recover dominance next round. But Nvidia has to be scared of what AMD will come out with on 40nm especially if they continue to lag behind them in transitioning to the new process.

I've been saying this since the ATI merger when Nvidia gave us all this "ATI has thrown in the towel" BS. Nvidia is going to find themselves squeezed hard between AMD/ATI on one side, and Intel on the other. They are both looking to provide (and make all the profit from) a complete platform of CPU/GPU/Chipset, and that leaves Nvidia stuck out in the cold.

More importantly it takes Nvidia from it's position of market power a few years back (ie providing the only high end GPU/chipset solutions), to fighting for scraps from the Intel and AMD tables whilst not being able to compete on CPUs or complete platform solutions. At the same time both Intel and AMD have brought up the quality of their chipsets trememdously, and are looking to take Nvidia's lunch on graphics at every level.

I just can't see where Nvidia can go from here long-term, short of following AMD into a merger with a larger company - and the rumours from last year basically killed off that chance.

Nvidia is going to find themselves squeezed hard between AMD/ATI on one side, and Intel on the other.

Well AMD as an integrated entity isn't out of the woods yet as far as I can see. ATI may be doing well but the next few years for the CPU side look rather challenging I'd say, maybe others disagree.

What happens to AMD and NVIDIA in a scenario where AMDs CPU division falls steadily further and further behind Intel?

Well AMD as an integrated entity isn't out of the woods yet as far as I can see. ATI may be doing well but the next few years for the CPU side look rather challenging I'd say, maybe others disagree.

What happens to AMD and NVIDIA in a scenario where AMDs CPU division falls steadily further and further behind Intel?

The transition to 45nm will help (at least initially) since AMD's many-core plans have been pushed off until 2009 at least, and MCMs will help their efforts here (by way of increased yields, relative to a monolithic many-core design).

I think we may see a return to break-even for AMD before the year is out, and 2009 should bring with it some decent profitability.

I just checked the HP notebook line for the business section (coming fall/winter) and there are 0 nVidia cards in there.

For reference, the old home line is stuffed with mobile 8400's. The new business line is mostly intel's igp and ati's 31/32/3450s.

I wonder how this reflects on other notebooks built by Compal.

Many new notebooks are using ATi chips. Dell's new consumer Studio line uses nothing but ATi chips. Now, if that's because of this issue with Nvidia or simply that ATi's chip is the better solution will be harder to find out.

Many new notebooks are using ATi chips. Dell's new consumer Studio line uses nothing but ATi chips. Now, if that's because of this issue with Nvidia or simply that ATi's chip is the better solution will be harder to find out.

It could be a link to the "thermal design" quote and that it p**sed off the likes of Compal so much that they refuse to build any design with a mobile G8x in it.

ah.. maybe if Charlie reads this he could do some digging ;)

Maybe NVidia wants to license something like this:

ANCHOR STRUCTURE FOR AN INTEGRATED CIRCUIT

[0005] The underfill material 20, which is typically a non-electrically conductive adhesive, is used to fill in the gaps between the insulation layer 14 and the substrate 22. The underfill material 20 adheres to the insulation layer 14 and to the substrate 22. The underfill material 20 protects the conductive bumps 18 from thermal expansion mismatches between the die 12 and the substrate 22. The underfill material 20 also serves to protect the flip-chip 10 from moisture, ionic contaminants, radiation, and hostile operating environments such as thermal and mechanical conditions (i.e., shock, vibration, etc.).

[0006] When the flip-chip 10 is exposed to stress, the adhesive bond between the insulation layer 14 and the underfill material 20 may weaken. The weakened adhesive bond may result in a delamination between the insulation layer 14 and the underfill material 20, which is undesirable.
Jawed

I just checked the HP notebook line for the business section (coming fall/winter) and there are 0 nVidia cards in there.

For reference, the old home line is stuffed with mobile 8400's. The new business line is mostly intel's igp and ati's 31/32/3450s.

I wonder how this reflects on other notebooks built by Compal.

I really don't think this means much at all. AMD has better performance/watt for the new gen that will fit in laptops right? So why would they not use them?

I really don't think this means much at all. AMD has better performance/watt for the new gen that will fit in laptops right? So why would they not use them?

it's not the new gen, they're stocking them with rv610/630 cards, not HD4xxx. These things were available as well when they (COMPAL) decided to stuff all their notebooks with (faulty) G84/86 gpu's.

the range went from ati 5% nv 30% intel 65% to ati 50% intel 50%.

Since Apple buys their notebooks from Compal as well, I'm pretty sure that the next versions of the macbook will bring us the 3450s.

Well, he's certainly been digging for something ;)

Ouch. I guess Dell is out of the closet on the issue as well: http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2008/07/25/nvidia-gpu-update-for-dell-laptop-owners.aspx

This bothers me for two reasons --

1) Because I'd been considering the M1330 the leading contender for replacing my wife's nearly 4 yr old laptop if it were to die suddenly.

2). Umm. . . umm. . . .umm. . . .anyone notice there are *no dates* associated with these bios updates? Like "All serial numbers prior to xxxx" or "manufactured before xx/xx/xx" or something like that? Doesn't that implicitly suggest that newly purchased models going out the door still have this problem? At which point it does give the ugly picture of being more than "these few batches". Dell's blog even says, "New systems are being shipped with the updated BIOS revisions."

And, btw, wth kind of customer service is it on the part of Dell and Nvidia to continue to knowingly ship new systems with flawed parts? There's no way they can know that ramping up the fan will stop this issue from happening (let alone what it must do to battery life). It no doubt will cut down on incidences, but prevent them entirely? I don't see it.

And, btw, wth kind of customer service is it on the part of Dell and Nvidia to continue to knowingly ship new systems with flawed parts? There's no way they can know that ramping up the fan will stop this issue from happening (let alone what it must do to battery life). It no doubt will cut down on incidences, but prevent them entirely? I don't see it.

I don't see how it will. Even with the fan running all the time, there is still going to be a lot of temp cycling as laptops are powered on and off, and power saving features cut in and out with normal usage. Okay, so maybe peak temps might not be so high, but if it's the heating and cooling that's exacerbating the problem, this end result will still be a failure, just a little later on.

Really, I'm just waiting for some US lawyer to decide they can make some cash from a class-action suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see how it will. Even with the fan running all the time, there is still going to be a lot of temp cycling as laptops are powered on and off, and power saving features cut in and out with normal usage. Okay, so maybe peak temps might not be so high, but if it's the heating and cooling that's that's exacerbating the problem, this end result will still be a failure, just a little later on.

Really, I'm just waiting for some US lawyer to decide they can make some cash from a class-action suit.

That kind of bios fix seems to me to be an acceptable strategy for making the best of a bad situation for units already in the field. With possibly extended warranty coverage as well. But continuing to ship new units with the same known issue is really irresponsible in my book.

Ouch. I guess Dell is out of the closet on the issue as well: http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2008/07/25/nvidia-gpu-update-for-dell-laptop-owners.aspx

This bothers me for two reasons --

1) Because I'd been considering the M1330 the leading contender for replacing my wife's nearly 4 yr old laptop if it were to die suddenly.

2). Umm. . . umm. . . .umm. . . .anyone notice there are *no dates* associated with these bios updates? Like "All serial numbers prior to xxxx" or "manufactured before xx/xx/xx" or something like that? Doesn't that implicitly suggest that newly purchased models going out the door still have this problem? At which point it does give the ugly picture of being more than "these few batches". Dell's blog even says, "New systems are being shipped with the updated BIOS revisions."

NOOOOooooo.... :devilish:

Dell Blog said:
The reality is that these BIOS updates will not have any noticeable effect on battery life or overall system performance. These updates do not make the cooling fan run all the time. The fan may cycle on more frequently, but when it does, it will run at half or quarter speed.

Okay, so good on battery life. It sounds to me like they are not trying to impact max load situations with this fix. It appears they are trying to keep light/moderate load situations in a tighter temperature range.

I don't think I want to put this BIOS update on and hope it extends the life of the laptop. I'm thinking more the other way around.. so I've been putting the m1330 standing next to me through alternating cycles of an hour of FurMark and then idle for about a day and a half now with an older BIOS. The fan is gearing up and down a lot and case temps are all over the place.

If I don't kill it doing this for a while, I'll trust the machine. And if I do, well there's still a year and a half of warranty on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back