NVIDIA Maxwell Speculation Thread

Or just very high demand? I'm not sure. I've been trying to buy a 970 for a couple of weeks now and cannot. I am on nowinstock.net with alerts and literally trying to submit my orders as soon as it detects they're in stock. I have failed 4 times to submit my order fast enough before they're out of stock. Last night on newegg I completed the order even then got an email stating the order was voided due to no stock.

So probably a combination of very high demand and little stock.

I get why the 970 is flying off shelves. The price is a steal compared to the competition. But the 980's that are going for $550 and over?

I had both 970 and 980 on alerts and the 980 hasn't seemed to arrive in stock at all the last week. So that might be due to supply issue.

I'm getting a little suspicious of this extended supply issue. What are the odds of bad yields on gm204?

Supply issue are not forcibly linked to the chips in itself.. could be any hardware on the PCB.. VRam... Along that the 970 is selling really well .

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the odds of bad yields on gm204?

Probably not very high? It is on a very well understood and mature 28nm process.

Perhaps NVIDIA underestimated demand? Stock was pretty good the first few days after release, but hasn't caught up since.

I get why the 970 is flying off shelves. The price is a steal compared to the competition. But the 980's that are going for $550 and over?

I think you would be surprised by how many folks simply want the absolute fastest and are willing to pay for it. Also $550 is less than the 780Ti used to be, and the 980 is faster (quite a bit faster when overclocked) and has more VRAM. It would be a logical upgrade for those coming from a 580, 680, or even 780 (not 780Ti IMO).

Probably not very high? It is on a very well understood and mature 28nm process.

Perhaps NVIDIA underestimated demand? Stock was pretty good the first few days after release, but hasn't caught up since.

I think you would be surprised by how many folks simply want the absolute fastest and are willing to pay for it. Also $550 is less than the 780Ti used to be, and the 980 is faster (quite a bit faster when overclocked) and has more VRAM. It would be a logical upgrade for those coming from a 580, 680, or even 780 (not 780Ti IMO).

Yeah it checks quite a few boxes but even with all that taken into consideration it still seems odd. The 780 Ti was an equally good upgrade from a 580 or 680 but I guess the price point isn't anywhere near as attractive.

Very low?

Even if they expected high demand, there's only so much they could have done.

I'm with you but at this point it seems they severely underestimated demand. It's not a large chip and on a very seasoned node so shouldn't be that difficult to keep in stock.

Maybe they could temper demand a bit by allowing Kepler and Fermi cards to do DSR given that all it takes is modifying an ini file :rolleyes:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1518483/modded-344-24-whql-drivers-allow-dsr-on-kepler-fermi-cards

...and any user interested in a GM204 based GPU would suddenly lose interest? :rolleyes:

Sure why not. I'm sure it would sway some heads. DSR is one of the most talked about Maxwell features aside from raw performance. It's pretty handy even on a 680 if you're playing older titles.

Maybe we should open a prank page where it gives instructions how to suppposedly bake a Kepler in the oven and get automatically a Maxwell :devilish:

Baking nVidia cards is old news :D

I'd be curious to see in person Quake 3 on a 1080p 144Hz monitor, with the highest DSR factor you can get away with. On a GTX 670 (and 60Hz monitor) the game showed 999 fps, I suppose it ran out of digits :LOL:.
What is the max res these days, 16384x16834?

Finally managed to fulfill an order today for a 970 as more came into Newegg.

Back