NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

soon to be replaced with the HD 2500, so not great either.
anyway, raw performance isn't anything. I'd keep an old 8400GS over a faster IGP with worse drivers.
want to run some CAD or 3D program? then the gt620 surely will work better than a HD 4000.

want to build a socket 2011 system for music production, 2D graphics, some video editing etc.? a gt 610 is ideal, as long as it's fanless or has a fan controller.

And, of course, also: nobody really knows the relative performance levels of a GT530 vs a GT6something. I definitely don't. So it's much better to have a full 6xx line with some rebrands than not to have them and to have a mix of 4xx, 5xx, and 6xx instead with no clue at all about their relative performance.

Rebranding is a great for product line clarity, the contrary of 'digging your own grave'. If it were the latter, Nvidia would have stopped doing it long time ago. After all, they've been doing it for, what, more than 4 years now?

And, of course, also: nobody really knows the relative performance levels of a GT530 vs a GT6something. I definitely don't. So it's much better to have a full 6xx line with some rebrands than not to have them and to have a mix of 4xx, 5xx, and 6xx instead with no clue at all about their relative performance.

Rebranding is a great for product line clarity, the contrary of 'digging your own grave'. If it were the latter, Nvidia would have stopped doing it long time ago. After all, they've been doing it for, what, more than 4 years now?

Oh I think they've been doing it for a lot longer than that. Enthusiasts bitch about it—rightly so—but most people think the cards are new, buy them (often in OEM machines) and probably never find out that they weren't. I'm sure it's quite profitable.

Oh I think they've been doing it for a lot longer than that. Enthusiasts bitch about it—rightly so—but most people think the cards are new, buy them (often in OEM machines) and probably never find out that they weren't. I'm sure it's quite profitable.
Do you honestly think people will upgrade from a GT510 to a GT610?
Shouldn't you be upset then and cry about deceptive marketing about a GTX560 Fermi being faster than a GT630 Kepler? After all, the latter has a higher number.

Customers couldn't care less about what kind of silicon are in their card, and whether it's a rebranded part that has been downed a notch down in the product line. If they care about something, it's about relative performance. That is exactly what's being achieved by these grave digging activities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you honestly think people will upgrade from a GT510 to a GT610?

Of course not, but people looking to upgrade from something older might pick the GT610 over, say, some HD 6000, on account of the former being perceived as "newer"; which is probably why AMD has renamed some low-end HD 6000s to HD 7000s.

That's not an issue limited to rebranding though.
Some 'new' cards such as the 9800GTX and HD 6850/70 had slightly worse performance than their predecessors by naming.
I don't think whether a card is 'new' really matters, performance and features important to the end users do.

Of course not, but people looking to upgrade from something older might pick the GT610 over, say, some HD 6000, on account of the former being perceived as "newer"; which is probably why AMD has renamed some low-end HD 6000s to HD 7000s.
If that's your concern, you should be more upset about AMD using numbers with 4 digits tricking consumers into thinking that they are better than Nvidia's products with only 3.

Do you really think consumers know whether or not an HD6000 was introduced before or after a GT610? I definitely don't know. Why does it even matter when a particular piece of silicon was first introduced?

That's not an issue limited to rebranding though.
Some 'new' cards such as the 9800GTX and HD 6850/70 had slightly worse performance than their predecessors by naming.
I don't think whether a card is 'new' really matters, performance and features important to the end users do.

True. I think it was Silent_Buddha who mentioned that someone he knew had "upgraded" from an HD 5870 to a 6870. So maybe the GT510 -> GT610 upgrade isn't all that far-fetched after all.

If that's your concern, you should be more upset about AMD using numbers with 4 digits tricking consumers into thinking that they are better than Nvidia's products with only 3.

:LOL:

Do you really think consumers know whether or not an HD6000 was introduced before or after a GT610? I definitely don't know. Why does it even matter when a particular piece of silicon was first introduced?

I think people who vaguely keep an eye on tech might be aware that HD Nxxx is the same generation as G(T(X)) (N-1)xxx; or maybe not. The newness of a piece of silicon doesn't matter, but I think the general perception is that newer is better, especially in computer hardware; which can sway buyers.

And though not everyone might know which card came out when, I bet salespeople have a field day with renamed models: "See this computer there, it's really good, it has cutting-edge graphics with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 630, which was just released last week!"

Actually it's nVidia to blame, both used 4 digits first, nVidia changed to 3 digits later :LOL:

I didn't know a geforce gt510 existed, I've checked it and it's a geforce 510, with 523MHz GPU. it's been renamed to geforce 605.
so there's an upgrade from 510 to 610 even if a lousy one (jump bump the clock on that 605)

So those tests are made by adjusting the power slider individually per game between 75% and 91%? (or did you set a fixed value from those findings)
What is nvidia really promising? that it will sometimes be able to hit 980, or that it's the average clock in normal games?
Having the test sample going 100mhz higher than specified seems quite suspicious.
Found the exact wording. It is:
Nvidia RG said:
The “Boost Clock” is the average clock frequency the GPU will run under load in many typical non-TDP apps that require less GPU power consumption. On average, the typical Boost Clock provided by GPU Boost in GeForce GTX 680 is 1058MHz, an improvement of just over 5%. The Boost Clock is a typical clock level achieved while running a typical game in a typical environment.

The only substantiated news is of a possible recall of a single EVGA overclocked edition, and that might not go beyond "if you have problems, tell us". I haven't seen news of it being broader than that.

I have some pain to believe with FXAA only they could not run the 7970 at 60fps average ... when the difference is of 4fps with 4x MSAA with the 680. (apples to apples comparaison )..

[edit] Fixed Quote. Ooops.

True. I think it was Silent_Buddha who mentioned that someone he knew had "upgraded" from an HD 5870 to a 6870. So maybe the GT510 -> GT610 upgrade isn't all that far-fetched after all.

Yes, I have had friends, clients, and former clients do this. That's why I was particular unhappy with AMD when they shuffled things around. It just made my life a whole lot more complicated when I had to explain to friends and clients that what they thought was an upgrade was actually a slight downgrade in terms of performance.

I've had the exact same problem with Nvidia hardware for years with friends and clients. It's a royal PITA. It isn't so bad if the performance does improve in general.

However, even there things go wonky. As rebrands often lack the new features in current gen silicon. Video decode, for example, in past cards.

Having to explain that while the card they just bought to replace their previous card might be faster but lacks the features they expected from the new "generation" of cards as indicted by the first number of each generation of cards (Xyy or Xyyy depending on company) is a royal PITA.

For some people it doesn't bother them. They either live with it or return it and get something else. For others they get angry at being deceived and switch to the other brand for a while. And then the other brand does rebranding and they get angry and switch back, etc. And then there's some that just don't care or don't notice.

Most of these people are just normal people that are either casual computer users who like games or semi-serious gamers that just don't want to keep up with the latest hardware news. In the latter case they are more likely to have an idea of the new "features" of the enthusiast cards (since those come out first and people talk about them) and just figure those features will also exist in cards lower down the performance chain with the same generational number.

I'm sure enthusiasts won't be fooled by the rebranding and can choose accordingly. But enthusiasts typically don't need my services or advice, so all my experience is with general run of the mill consumers who often don't know better but know just enough to pepper me with questions about this or that.

Meh...

Regards,
SB

Back