NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

Lol, I don't remember seeing every miniscule little source of identification being blurred out on board shots in prior launches. I guess it's easier to get caught given the number of Fermi's floating around.

Not to be unpolite, but what is finally the explanation as to why some posters here claimed the card was going to launch in 2009?

It is fairly obvious that no company plans on spinning and respinning and respinning over an over. If things went well they would have launched in 2009. The question always is how well things are proceeding. So if someone predicted fall 09 in dec 08 then they would not be silly in the slightest.

If GT200/GF100 are any indication, building giant sized GPUs has hit not just power and heat wall, but also an engineering wall. These things need too much time to just get out the door, not to mention their kids. I shudder to imagine what will happen if GTX580 suffers from similar delays.

That does seem to be a genuine problem that ATI has addressed and Nvidia hasn't. You need a cutting edge process to build a cutting edge graphics chip, but by definition, the cutting edge process isn't ready for such complex chips. It's no good TSMC's 40nm being ready for Fermi one year after the competition has had it's products out.

AMD obviously made allowances and built the best product they could build with what they could get from TSMC. Nvidia didn't make any compromises, and ended up with something that couldn't be built on TSMC's process for the first year. Now ATI has had a clear run with better yeilds, and Nvidia are running around trying to do another re-spin and doing a small-run PE launch with a compromised product that may be outdated by the next-gen from ATI almost as soon as it arrives.

Das Package der GTX-480-GPU misst 4,2×4,2 Zentimeter, die Karte 10,5 Zoll. The package of the GTX-480 GPU measuring 4.2 × 4.2 inches.

The translation from Zentimeter is inches? :rolleyes:

well bad translation, don't know lol google translation ;)

"According to company sources, the final specifications for the GTX-480-chip will have yet. Unconfirmed rumors that the GeForce GTX 480 is not even the previously assumed number of 512 shader cores have, but something less."

Is that a new rumor? Or have I missed something?

It must be what the Chinese are talking about, 480 shaders for the GTX480.

Back