Nvidia and Abit split?

Personally I think companies like MSI are insane to put all their eggs in one basket, corportate pressure similar to Intel tatics or not..business is business.

I believe MSI makes a lot of ATI based products for the OEM market, they just aren't branded as MSI products.

Brandon said:
Doomtrooper said:
Elaborate on Tyan, I see no press releases on their page..still only list ATI cards.

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/graphics_cards.html

Still here too:

http://www.ati.com/developer/hardwarepartners.html

I can't, not without violating trust, but take a closer look at the Tyan site you just linked and you'll see that ATI's latest products aren't listed. It's not that they're defecting, but lets just say that both ATI and NVIDIA have their favorites and if you aren't one of them...well, you get the picture...

IIRC, Tyan is not leaving ATI, they skipped the XT series on purpose...R420.

Well at least one site has received confirmation of the story from NVDA, though without explanation: http://www.3dchips-fr.com/News/actualites/200401078.html

Meanwhile, Xbit is citing "sources" claiming that pricing and profit margin issues are at the root of the conflict. No surprise considering this is consistent with everything that has plagued the FX line since day one. It might not be for nothing that Asus hasn't even bothered with a 5700 Ultra board.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20040107114451.html

Crucial are a low cost vendor - I'd be surprised if they pick up the very high end until it becomes quite cheap, which is fairly late in its lifecycle.

The price of the 9800XT seems to have dropped by around $130, you can now buy the Sapphire 9800XT for £304 inc Vat in UK so basically sitting in the old 9800Pro price slot.

DaveBaumann said:
Crucial are a low cost vendor - I'd be surprised if they pick up the very high end until it becomes quite cheap, which is fairly late in its lifecycle.

Crucial were selling 9700 Pros and 9800 Pros within a couple of months of launch, in fact with faster spec ram on board. They may be low price, but that's because they have almost zero pack-in and plain box packaging. I've heard some talk that they get a good deal with ATI because of the Micron RAM they supply to ATI, and of course it reduces their own costs as they supply themselves with the ram they use on their cards.

Brandon said:
...but lets just say that both ATI and NVIDIA have their favorites and if you aren't one of them...well, you get the picture...
To be sure, however, in this case think OTES...;)

kemosabe said:
Well at least one site has received confirmation of the story from NVDA, though without explanation: http://www.3dchips-fr.com/News/actualites/200401078.html

Meanwhile, Xbit is citing "sources" claiming that pricing and profit margin issues are at the root of the conflict. No surprise considering this is consistent with everything that has plagued the FX line since day one. It might not be for nothing that Asus hasn't even bothered with a 5700 Ultra board.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20040107114451.html

That's certainly part of the reason for the split, but ABIT and NVIDIA's problems date back to NV30 and FX Flow. Again, I'm sure you guys can get the rest of the picture. :)

Personally the only other thing I've had an objection with (in the past) concerning vendors, are exclusive contracts.

Sigh. No NF7-S-like nForce 3 250 motherboard. I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now.

The Baron said:
Sigh. No NF7-S-like nForce 3 250 motherboard. I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now.

Why is it so impossible to do that with a different chipset vendor? The Nforce2 was a screaming success, granted, but why coulden't Abit create an "Nforce2 like board" using VIA or SIS chipsets?

Rage said:
The Baron said:

Why is it so impossible to do that with a different chipset vendor? The Nforce2 was a screaming success, granted, but why coulden't Abit create an "Nforce2 like board" using VIA or SIS chipsets?
Neither of them has a PCI/AGP frequency lock. Big Problem. Actually, though, I think SiS has one coming out that will have it, but it will probably suck anyway, just like almost all Sis chipsets. And Via... after the KT266 board I used for a year and a half, I will not buy another Via board. At least not for several years.

The Baron said:
Neither of them has a PCI/AGP frequency lock. Big Problem. Actually, though, I think SiS has one coming out that will have it, but it will probably suck anyway, just like almost all Sis chipsets. And Via... after the KT266 board I used for a year and a half, I will not buy another Via board. At least not for several years.
IIRC, Via has a /7 and /8 divider. Also, on nF3 boards, there must be a lower divider then /6. Otherwise is 300fsb ( 50Mhz PCI ) not possible. But it does have a locked agp.

//Edit nF3 250 will have pci/agp lock.

Actually, I'm rather impressed with SIS presonally. I've been using a K7S5A board from ECS with a SIS735 chipset in it for the last year and a half and it has proven to be remarkably stable. Except for an agp driver problem about a year ago, it has been more stable than my old abit BX board, and also more stable than my old Tyan dual PPRO board.

It's slower than the KT266a boards out there, but it still performs reasonably and for the price I paid (less than half what a comparably featured KT266a was going for at the time), it was definately worth it. Atleast in terms of motherboard chipsets, I'd be pretty interested in buying another one from SIS assuming it has no major problems.

Nite_Hawk

News from the nForce team....

Abit and nVidia are still partners on nForce motherboards. All support will be continuing and an NF3 board is (apparently) in the works....

That should cheer a few of you up ;)

Yeah, and it's not just temporary, they seem to want to go on with NV in that aspect till NF4/NF5/...

Regarding what happened for the split, this is what an indirect source told me:
1. Abit wanted to go both NVIDIA and ATI for GPUs.
2. NVIDIA refused.
3. Abit wasn't happy with that, so they just said "bye-bye" to NVIDIA.
4. NVIDIA accepts to let Abit still sell their motherboards even if they do ATI GPUs.

Uttar

Back