NVidia 3D Vision Questions

The problem is 3DTV Play. It's intentionally gimped. It does only what NVidia will allow it to do, and apparently they don't want you to view 3D images in it.

Besides, if you have 3D Vision, why in the name of all that's holy would you want to use 3DTVPlay? That's for people that don't have 3D Vision-capable hardware. We've already established that 3D Vision is the superior of the two, why would you go to extremes to do the other?

The HMZ-T2, supports side by side and top bottom. The picture can be in jpeg, doesn't have to be in particular format. As long as I can convert it to jpeg, I think it'll display, because I can force the HMZ to display it even without the 3D header. I mean I can display Youtube 3D video upload that does side by side just fine.

See the screenshots on this site

http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?opt...m-S-3D-Review&catid=38&Itemid=76#introduction

Something like those I can display on the HMZ just fine.

Yeah looking at the 3DTV Play, I can't find anyway to get screenshot.

Does FRAPS work by any chance ?

your hmd expects this

but the native format of 3dtvplay is

I guess if you were really patient you could copy the odd lines into a new image then copy the even lines into another image and create a side by side
iirc paintshop pro had a scripting function maybe it would be possible to create a script/macro

ps: fraps should grab the framebuffer but i think it would be like image 2 hopefully someone will give it a go.

Yeah looking at the 3DTV Play, I can't find anyway to get screenshot.

Does FRAPS work by any chance ?

Nope fraps doesn't work, it just produces a normal frame. 3d vision is definately producing 2 seperate frames per screen in case there was any dount there. The player posted by davros above shows both frames in the one jps file if you view the original source.

could 3dtvplay actually be producing 1 frame per screen aka frame sequential (not at 120hz of course) mode and the tv is interlacing them we know 3dvision uses frame sequential mode and that works with not just 120hz monitors but also standard 3dtv's as long as they are whitelisted

the way to test this would be to grab 2 sequential frames of a static image and compare them if they are slightly offset from each other then this is whats happening.
If you are going to produce a universal standard for 3d media (because those making 3d dvd's/bluerays ect dont know what type of system its going to be played on)
frame sequential seems the best option as its the easiest format to deal with when converting to other formats

your hmd expects this
but the native format of 3dtvplay is

Actually 3DTV Play supports HMZ-T2, so the interlaced one should display as well but probably need a 3D header in the format, it's HDMI 1.4a specs.

Anyway I guess at the moment you'll need HDMI 1.4a capture card or something to capture 3DTV Play.

I am just curious why the media haven't jump on investigating the difference between 3D Vision and 3DTV Play. They all assume it's the same experience.

So in 3DTV Play, you don't get the depth and convergence setting like you do in 3D Vision ?

Also what's the performance difference like between 3D Vision and 3DTV Play at the same resolution and setting ? Is 3D Vision has slower frame rate because it's doing more stuff for better 3D conversion ? While 3DTV Play is faster because it's doing a cheap 3D conversion like in most 3D TV ?

Its the real deal man, makes a massive difference to the visual experience. I've been having a play around with BF3 this afternoon as well, another one that works perfectly and looks insane.

The only downside is that 3d is an enormous performance sapper. Even with 680 level performance there are some games that can't keep a completely smooth framerate at max details and 1080p in 3d mode.

Well I hope you are happy now, because thanks to you I'll be getting the same Asus monitor you have. I should be getting it tomorrow! If I don't like it I'll hold you responsible :). Some dude was selling a unit for 450€ with fullish warranty and I had to bite. Regular price over here is 599€, although in Germany they have better prices.

I'm on the verge of going SLI, but I'll try how my single 680 performs first. I'm also hesitant to pay 400€ for a second card, because I'd like to see what the new cards offer and 2GB might be a bit little after the next gen consoles come out and I don't want to upgrade so often.

I've been looking at Tri Dev as 3DTV Play alternative and found this on their FAQs:

What is the benefit of using Power 3D mode?

TriDef 3D Ignition has two 3D rendering modes. The standard 3D mode operates in the traditional manner by rendering two views from within the game environment. This approach produces high quality 3D but performance can be reduced as it is necessary to render the DirectX scene twice, once for the left eye and once for the right eye.

Power 3D is a method of improving performance by using information from the Z-buffer in the DirectX graphics pipeline. The Z-buffer measures the distance to objects in the scene. This information can be used to synthesise virtual stereoscopic 3D views. As it is only necessary to render the DirectX scene once Power 3D runs significantly faster than the traditional stereo 3D mode. Frame rates can be increased by as much 50%. The trade-off for this performance boost is that quality of the 3D can be lower. In particular, Power 3D mode cannot see behind objects which can lead to some distortions around edges.

Is the Z-buffer method what 3DTV Play is using compare to 3D Vision ? Which also explain the lack of performance hit compare to 3D Vision.

It seems many people with 3DTV Play shares the same experience of weak 3D. I just find it baffling why NV would do this. Is not like 3DTV Play is free or anything.

At the moment I'm looking to pick up HD7970 GHZ edition, but do I need the 6GB version for 3D ? and Tridef driver. (I can't find benchmark or anything in regard to 3D) I know the 8970 probably around the corner at this point, but will see. If the PS3 keeps me occupy as I'm playing PS3 Uncharted 3 in 3D at the moment, and not getting motion sickness every hour like the previous Uncharted is really nice. I bought Enslaved and Resistance 3 too and probably will revisit Killzone 3. But really want to catch up with PC Games that I can't play due to motion sickness and there are many of them. Probably a decade worths :) Now I just need to find out which one is actually playable in 3D with Tridef.

Well I hope you are happy now, because thanks to you I'll be getting the same Asus monitor you have. I should be getting it tomorrow! If I don't like it I'll hold you responsible :). Some dude was selling a unit for 450€ with fullish warranty and I had to bite. Regular price over here is 599€, although in Germany they have better prices.

I'm on the verge of going SLI, but I'll try how my single 680 performs first. I'm also hesitant to pay 400€ for a second card, because I'd like to see what the new cards offer and 2GB might be a bit little after the next gen consoles come out and I don't want to upgrade so often.

Lol good choice, what are your impressions so far and what games are you playing on it?

At the moment I'm looking to pick up HD7970 GHZ edition, but do I need the 6GB version for 3D ? and Tridef driver. (I can't find benchmark or anything in regard to 3D) I know the 8970 probably around the corner at this point, but will see. If the PS3 keeps me occupy as I'm playing PS3 Uncharted 3 in 3D at the moment, and not getting motion sickness every hour like the previous Uncharted is really nice. I bought Enslaved and Resistance 3 too and probably will revisit Killzone 3. But really want to catch up with PC Games that I can't play due to motion sickness and there are many of them. Probably a decade worths :) Now I just need to find out which one is actually playable in 3D with Tridef.

Have been using HD6970 in crossfire on a passive 1080P TV for about two weeks here, 2 GB seem to work just fine.

Lol good choice, what are your impressions so far and what games are you playing on it?

I have the monitor, but it's still sitting in the box. I have to move some furniture around and that might take couple days at my lazy work rate :) I'll probably play Arkham City first.

Have been using HD6970 in crossfire on a passive 1080P TV for about two weeks here, 2 GB seem to work just fine.

Does AMD HD3D supports crossfire now ? Since older review I read said it wasn't supported. But I hope they do.

I have not actually tested to see if crossfire is working, just know all the games I have tried work fine. AMD HD3D does frame packing, not needed on a passive display and HMDI can only do 24hz at 1080P in 3D. If you are using a passive display, I suggest setting TriDef for "standard display types", and either "top and bottom", or "line interlaced".

Do I need to use dual link DVI to get 60fps in 3d mode with GTX 680?, I thought HDMI 1.4 which the card have is enough? Is cable quality an issue.

I went SLI BTW and I'm currently trying to set it up, but the control panel won't let me use 1080p@60...

I uh.. I have no idea. I'm running 1080p60/3D here just fine over DVI.

How are you sending it to the monitor? The card should be handling it all internally, there's no reason to send a frame-packed signal.

Cable quality doesn't matter, it's a digital signal. If you can get any signal at all, then it's working as well as it ever will.

I first had HDMI cable plugged in and in the control panel I could only choose 24hz for 1080p. Once I plugged in the DVI cable, everything works fine, except of course I don't get sound from the monitor. I wanted to use the HDMI to get sound. Head phone jack is broken on my case, so I'll have to work that out somehow.

Is it possible to use the second card just to output sound over HDMI to the receiver and use DVI on the primary card for picture?

I tried Trine 2 for few minutes and it did look pretty good.

That's strange... HDMI can only carry 1080p HDCP content (i.e. Blu-ray movies) at 24p, that's part of the specification. But 1080p video game content shouldn't be held to that restriction, it should play at whatever your monitor's refresh rate is. I ran HDMI over my old GTX465 at 1080p60 without a problem, and I can run it now over DVI.

Have you tried playing a game anyway, even with it "limited" to only 24fps? You might find that games will run at 60fps regardless.

Are you using 3D Vision?

That's strange... HDMI can only carry 1080p HDCP content (i.e. Blu-ray movies) at 24p, that's part of the specification. But 1080p video game content shouldn't be held to that restriction, it should play at whatever your monitor's refresh rate is. I ran HDMI over my old GTX465 at 1080p60 without a problem, and I can run it now over DVI.

Have you tried playing a game anyway, even with it "limited" to only 24fps? You might find that games will run at 60fps regardless.

Are you using 3D Vision?

There isn't enough bandwidth over HDMI for 1080P@120HZ which is what the 3D vision signal is.
And I don't think there is a 1080P@30Hz 3D mode in the current HDMI required resolutions.

3D vision requires a dual link DVI cable and it's borderline enough that some of those don't work even when they aren't particularly long. Theoretically you can also use it over display port with an active adapter, since none of the certified monitors I'm aware of have DP connectors.

Back