NVidia 3D Vision Questions

Is there any 3D Video or 3D screens, showcasing the difference between 3D Vision and 3DTV Play ? I'm really want to see the different.

I think you'd need the actual system's
Just like you cant demonstrate 3d on a 2d monitor

at least your not stuck with anaglyph

I don't think so, Even if 3D Vision and 3DTV play uses two different conversions for its 3D, It's just two images by the end of the process. If that can be captured, you can display it on any 3D capable display, and produce the same result, as far as 3D strength are involves and you should notice the difference in 3D quality between 3D Vision and 3DTV Play.

And perhaps someone can quiz NV why they gimped 3DTV Play.

I don't think so, Even if 3D Vision and 3DTV play uses two different conversions for its 3D, It's just two images by the end of the process. If that can be captured, you can display it on any 3D capable display, and produce the same result,

3dvision the shutterglass version should be easy
but since 3dtvplay sends both views in a single frame can you separate the odd lines and the even lines to create 2 separate images ?
you are aware that (and i could be wrong on this) V3 doesnt have a 3dtv he has a hmd with 2 screens in it so you couldnt leave it interlaced

ps: If you can do it Ive just worked out how i can view it with my 2 monitors
mark out the profile of my face on a piece of cardboard
cut it out

wedge cardboard between my 2 monitors like so
behold my genius :D

The difference between the two is at the rendering stage, not the display stage. What gets spit out is the same regardless of 3D Vision, TV Play, reprojection, or native, it's just a 3D image, and those are all output the same.

Ever wonder how a 3D movie on Blu-ray works on both active and passive monitors? Because the output is the same.. the player doesn't care what's on the other end of the HDMI cable, as long as it reports that it can receive a 3D signal. It's the TV that handles it differently, by either going into 120Hz flicker mode for active, or interleaving the images for passive.

There's no difference in how NVidia's output, either, not from the framebuffer, at any rate. The difference (and the source of the compatibility problem) is that NVidia has taken over what's usually the TV's job, in how the image is output. That's why NVidia is the only one that has this kind of compatibility problem. They did it so they can make more money.

What gets spit out is the same regardless of 3D Vision, TV Play, reprojection, or native, it's just a 3D image, and those are all output the same.

I disagree
what gets spit out is not to distinct frames but a mix of 2 single frames
I would of thought the card renders 2 frames then combines them in a buffer then sends that buffer to the tv in the case of 3dtvplay?

heres my understanding of what gets sent to the display

active shutter

passive

and V3 using a hmd needs the frame to be sent in side by side format

Am I wrong and if i'm not how do you grab the frames from an interlaced output before theyre combined if you printscreen you wont get the 2 separate frames
so there is no way v3 can see what 3dtvplay and 3dvision(on a passive display) look like using his hmd because you cant grab the left and right images before they are combined

It doesn't matter, those different methods are for display purposes.

What matters is the two images that get generated. How they're combine doesn't matter for the purpose of seeing the difference between 3D Vision and 3DTV Play.

Some sites have 3D Vision captures screenshots. I can view that with my HMD, I just need to find the 3DTV Play screenshots, preferably the same as the 3D Vision one to compare the difference.

well I think it does matter because in the case of interlaced you cant get hold of the frames before they are combined
you have a link for screenshots ?
i can only find anaglyph screenshots
some people here have 3dtvplay they could post some screenshots

ps: have you tried tridef ?
it works with nv cards supports side by side and there is a 14 day trial ?

It doesn't matter, those different methods are for display purposes.

What matters is the two images that get generated. How they're combine doesn't matter for the purpose of seeing the difference between 3D Vision and 3DTV Play.

Some sites have 3D Vision captures screenshots. I can view that with my HMD, I just need to find the 3DTV Play screenshots, preferably the same as the 3D Vision one to compare the difference.

I think you'll find the only difference is that NVidia severely reduce the amount you can displace the cameras on 3DTV Play.
I.e. you get less convergence (pop out) and displacement (depth).
Games display the same set of artifacts on both, bad shadows and reflections etc.

well I think it does matter because in the case of interlaced you cant get hold of the frames before they are combined
you have a link for screenshots ?
i can only find anaglyph screenshots
some people here have 3dtvplay they could post some screenshots
I don't have 3DTVPlay, but I do have some screenshots captured with 3D Vision. You'll need a 3D-capable monitor to view them, though, they're in PNS format (I believe that's a stereo version of PNG). I might be able to split them into two JPGs if you like. Each of them will be 1920x1080, and I do play on a passive display.

My point was that the conversion to active or passive happens after both left- and right-eye frames have been created. That's why there's no performance difference between active and passive, and that's why screenshots taken with 3D Vision are the same regardless of what kind of monitor you're playing on.

I think you'll find the only difference is that NVidia severely reduce the amount you can displace the cameras on 3DTV Play.
I.e. you get less convergence (pop out) and displacement (depth).
Games display the same set of artifacts on both, bad shadows and reflections etc.

That's my guess too. To reduce crosstalk perhaps ? But why NV don't let the users decide what's best ? Why limit the 3DTV Play version ?

I was playing around with Resistance 3 Demo on PS3, it got options for 3D strength, when I set slider at maximum, I could play it without getting motion sick. For me this is the first for an FPS. But only when the slider is at max, a notch less and motion sickness is there.

So yeah this is kinda a big deal for me to see how big of a difference in convergence and displacement between 3D Vision and 3DTV Play.

If someone can give me a clue how to take 3d screenshots from 3dtv play ill make some direct comparisons. I'll also test them out on each of my displays to see if they are displaying accurately. I still think there's more to it than just the depth setting though given the framerate difference but ill have a play around with that setting and see if I can get them to match.

Separation is easy to test. My 3D Vision control is set for 95%, and I get a physical separation of distant objects on screen of around 60mm (which is about where you want it). It looks pretty crazy without the glasses, but the 3D effect is VERY deep.

For the record Alt-F1 won't take screenshots in 3dtv play and the screenshots I was able to take in 3d vision using that method (.jps format) will not even open on my TV to see if they look the same on there - they only open when using the monitor and 3d vision via the 3d vision photo viewer.

Any suggestions?

It will output in whatever format your monitor displays, that's the point I've been trying to make.

I use Stereo Photo Maker for all my still frames. It can view them in any method you could possibly want. Because, as I've been trying to beat Davros over the head with lately, the image format is completely and totally independent of your display type.

It can view them in any method you could possibly want. Because, as I've been trying to beat Davros over the head with lately, the image format is completely and totally independent of your display type.

proved wrong by the fact that pjbliverpool cant view his 3dvision captures in 3dtvplay
so what your saying is the image format is Dependant on display type but you have a program that will convert it to the required type. if the image format was universal there would not be any convert options in 3d viewing software and pjbliverpool would be able to view his 3dvision captures in 3dtvplay
also v3 doesnt have a 3d display per say he has 2 2d displays which expect side by side format unless it comes with software that will do the conversion

Back