NVidia 3D Vision Questions

Jedi2016

Veteran
(Mods, feel free to move this if it's in the wrong area.. this is more of a software/game question than hardware, that's why I didn't put it in the Video section).

I've recently gotten into 3D gaming, shiny new 3D monitor, trying out all the different games and such.

I'm using NVidia 3D Vision, since it's bundled in with their driver. Always made sense to me, since it's the NVidia hardware that's rendering all this stuff, it would have the easiest time of splitting the view into 3D.

I'm using a passive monitor, so I'm using the EDID override to force the driver into interleaved mode. It's worth mentioning, but I don't think it actually has much to do with the issues I'm having.

The biggest issue is that some games render with left/right eyes reversed, which is incredibly disorienting, and completely unplayable. Since it's all using the exact same driver to generate the 3D, this is rather confusing.. why would some games work, and some games don't? Sometimes from the same developer, even. Bad Company 2 has the eyes reversed, while Battlefield 3 works fine.

Crysis 2 is the only game I've seen that actually has the option to flip left/right, and it's built right into the game menu. Oddly, I had to reverse it once, but then the next time I started, it was backwards again, so I turned the option off.. like it was choosing which was the left/right side randomly when the game launched (it's been stable since then, though).

It's frustrating that the driver itself doesn't have this option. It has all kinds of hotkeys for adjusting separation and convergence, but not for flipping left/right. It's obviously needed in certain circumstances, and they know it.. their own 3D video player has a hotkey to flip eyes.

Does anyone know of any backdoor registry option I can set per-game to force it to switch eyes?

One other question, which hopefully someone can answer, is specific to the Assassin's Creed series. I have the first game on PC, but all the rest on PS3 (I gave my PS3 copy of the first game to a friend, after I'd gotten the PC version on sale). The 3D support in the first AC is.. shaky. Simply put, there's something seriously wrong. This game, alone among all the ones I've tried, renders in both passive and active mode at the same time. The screen is interleaved along the lines on the monitor, but it's also flashing back and forth between left and right, as if I were using active-shutter glasses. None of the other games I've tried do this.

Do the other games in the series do this too? That could alter my decision on which platform to purchase the game for.. playing in 3D Vision, or playing on big comfy couch. Looking at NVidia's support site, though, it seems to imply that the AC series doesn't really get along very well with 3D anyway.

Any thoughts?

I'm using a passive monitor
I dont understand this bit ? passive matrix ??
http://www.howstuffworks.com/lcd4.htm

for 3d vision to work properly you need a 120hz monitor do you have one ?

so I'm using the EDID override to force the driver into interleaved mode
you should be running non interleaved.
monitor displays 1 eye for 120th second then the other eye for 120th second you cant have shutter glasses that would let through only even lines then only odd lines.

perhaps iz3d would be a better solution for you ? (if its nv comptible you may have to uninstall any 3d vision stuff)
http://www.iz3d.com/

3D Vision does support two specific passive monitors. The EDID override tricks the program into thinking you have one of those. So no.. you don't actually need to have their hardware to make it work. I've got dozens of games that prove that it works just fine. I've just got a few that don't.

Fwiw I've never seen the eyes reversed on 3d vision, but I'm running supported 120hz monitors.

Are you sure it's not just really high convergence, some games not on the list default to rediculous settings.

Hm.. I might have to try that, that didn't occur to me.

Personally, I think the whole "we only support active-shutter glasses" is stupid. Passive 3D is just as good, and it's obviously built right into the driver because I'm doing it. It just needs more options.

I doubt it.

What you're referring to is the built-in "3D" function, where the monitor can take a direct feed of a side-by-side or top-and-bottom encoded 3D video, and automatically split it into interleaved rows for display. My monitor (Asus VG23AH) has that as well, but it only works when the monitor is what's actually creating the 3D effect directly. In the case of games, the monitor is being fed the interleaved signal by the display driver, and the monitor does nothing.

The reason the ability is built into the "auto-decode" function is because of the wide variety of ways that video is encoded. You can download several 3D videos from YouTube, and each will be encoded differently. That's why NVidia's video player also includes the option to switch eyes. But with games, it's assumed that everything will be rendered correctly.

I got a 27" 3d monitor recently and I'm absolutely stunned at the quality. From around 2-3 foot away in 3d its similar to sitting in front of a damn cinema screen! The 3d is insane, it's a completely different level of gaming, easily equivilent to a generational graphics leap and hell, I haven't even tried BF3 yet!

I'd used 3d on my 50" HDTV previously but from 12 feet or so away the effect isn't nearly as immersive which in addition to being forced to use the control pad for fps's makes it considerably less enjoyable.

I can't wait to experience Assassins Creed 3, Battlefield 3 and Crysis 3 on this 3D setup.

3! It's the magic number!

It's an Asus VG278 with built in NV 3D Vision 2 sensor. I'm currently playing Skyrim which works perfectly in 3D and I've tried out Just Cause 2, Street Fighter 4 Crysis 2, Tombraider Underworld (all work perfectly) Gears of War and Crysis (work well at reduced graphics settings).

And I've just finished installing Battlefield 3 so I'm off to try that now.

Sounds good, I'd like to try that out myself.

Its the real deal man, makes a massive difference to the visual experience. I've been having a play around with BF3 this afternoon as well, another one that works perfectly and looks insane.

The only downside is that 3d is an enormous performance sapper. Even with 680 level performance there are some games that can't keep a completely smooth framerate at max details and 1080p in 3d mode.

BF3 is fine with post AA on and no MSAA though. Probably around 40 fps average.

I am using a 42" passive Vizio TV for all my 3DVision gaming. I have never had the eyes reversed.

Go here for 3DVision game fixes http://helixmod.wikispot.org/Gamelist

He has done an incredible job of making many games work much better with 3DVision.

Playing Dishonored with his shader fixes installed was absolutely incredible.

I am completely hooked on 3D gaming. I can't stand to play in 2D anymore, it just doesn't feel right.

Perhaps someone in here can help me.

I'm faced with an imminent TV choice (tomorrow), and this evening it has occurred to me that with my Nvidia graphics card and a 3D telly I might be able to enjoy some 3D goodness, so my question is this:

If I get a 3D TV (looking at a passive Panasonic set) will I be able to run my game of choice on the TV, in 3D using the polarising specs, the 3D Vision drivers and nothing else? As in, can I plug my PC into the telly, tick a box in the drivers, and then spend 100 hours playing modded Skyrim?

I'm a little confused by this "3DTV Play" stuff that Nvidia are pimping and I'm out of time to investigate. 3D Skyrim would get me to buy a 3D TV if I could play it.

Perhaps someone in here can help me.

I'm faced with an imminent TV choice (tomorrow), and this evening it has occurred to me that with my Nvidia graphics card and a 3D telly I might be able to enjoy some 3D goodness, so my question is this:

If I get a 3D TV (looking at a passive Panasonic set) will I be able to run my game of choice on the TV, in 3D using the polarising specs, the 3D Vision drivers and nothing else? As in, can I plug my PC into the telly, tick a box in the drivers, and then spend 100 hours playing modded Skyrim?

I'm a little confused by this "3DTV Play" stuff that Nvidia are pimping and I'm out of time to investigate. 3D Skyrim would get me to buy a 3D TV if I could play it.

Assuming you don't already have a 3D vision kit.

If your TV is on the supported list (make sure you check) then you'd still need to buy a copy of 3D TV Play, though I think there is a trial.

Basically 3D vision is for compatible 3D monitors over dual link DVI, 3D TV Play is for TV's using HDMI, but 3D Vision includes a copy of 3D TV Play.

Skyrim does rock in 3D though.

Hi Function,

3D Vision is a bit confusing. This has to do with its history. Initially, NVidia came out with 3D Vision, which meant its own (120hz iirc) screen and glasses, separate hardware that they supported with their graphics drivers. This is what ERP refers to.

At some point, not too long ago however, they decided to start supporting other displays as well that come with their own 3D glasses, including passive televisions. This in theory works with all displays. However, in an apparent effort to monetise their driver work, I think they are requiring a licence fee from the manufacturor to have the monitor driver for that screen listed as a supported device, and if the edid for that monitor is not recognised, the driver will not support full 3D Vision, and only support 3D TV Play. This you, the customer, have to pay yourself for, but I've tried it and it is nowhere nearly as good for some reason.

However, almost all passive TVs work the same, and so somewhere on the web you can find an Acer monitor driver that had its edid replaced by one that is supported by 3D Vision.

When I tested it earlier this year, I was disappointed with 3D TV play, but proper 3D Vision is something else entirely - by default for each game you start, it will report what it knows about the quality of the 3D support for the game. And a simple CTRL-T will always enable 3D, in whatever game you try, and it is typically quite good.

Thank you both ERP and Arwin for your replies, I think I understand what's going on now.

So it looks like to go the legit route I'd need 3DTV play and a compatible 3DTV. Unfortunately the 3DTV I'd consider buying isn't supported at this point (meaning it's not on nvidia's whitelist) so I'd have to try and force device manager to use the .inf file from a supported tv, and hope that worked.

It's not that I mind paying for software - I pay for all my games and movies and music - but 3D for tvs is part of a standard, so having to hope nvidia "unlock" compatibility with any tv I bought is a bit like being left dangling (especially when Nvidia's 3D stuff used to be open to user tweaking and experimentation). So I'm a bit reluctant to take that kind of chance when I'd be going over budget on the telly to even try.

Also sucks a bit if it's not as good as the 3D Vision implementation.

Gah, don't know what to do. I need to decide on the telly today. 3D Skyrim .... :(

Back