NVidia 3D Vision Questions

Yeah, the EDID override works quite well. I'm using a Asus VG23AH, maybe six months old, definitely not on NVidia's "whitelist". I'm using the Zalman override, and it works perfectly.

No its nothing like flashing a bios ... ;)

Lot's of ready made examples here, that you then install for your monitor using 'have disk' (I think its still called that in Windows 8 ... )

http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2025

Thanks again. So I know what I'd need to do now, I just don't know for certain that I could find a compatible one for the TV I want (most files are for monitors, but maybe that doesn't make a difference). So ... I still don't know what to do. Maybe I should just do that thing that politicians do, where when faced with a difficult decision they just put it off till the decision eventually makes itself.

Yeah, I missed my deadline for the new TV. No special TV gaming weekend, no help carrying my 1000000 tonne CRT to the recycling centre... might as well stress over the decision another week or two now ... :???:

My LG is a TV as well, not a CRT. Doesn't really matter much anymore with 1920x1080p sets.

Also sucks a bit if it's not as good as the 3D Vision implementation.

They're very different implementations. I used 3DTV Play on my TV a few months back until the free trial ran out and was reasonably impressed. I recently got 3D vision and I didn't even realise it also entitled me to 3DTV play until I read ERP's post above so I'm a happy bunny now (thanks ERP!)

I can now swap and change between 3D Vision on the monitor and 3DTV Play on the TV. That's allowed me to do some direct comparisons this morning and from that it's pretty clear that the 3D effect of 3D vision is significantly superior to 3dtv play. 3dvision gives the impression of a real physical world stretched out in front of you which works to absolutely stunning effect in many games while 3dtv play is much more subtle giving a 3d look to the graphics but not really giving you a sense of there being a real physical world in front of you.

On the other hand, 3dvision destroys performance. It literally halves your framerate so even my 680 level performance struggles in some games - including a fully modded Skyrim. 3dtv play on the other hand doesn't seem to have much effect on framerate at all so that's a big advantage. Another issue with 3dvision is ghosting which can get quite pronounced at times, especially with bright graphics like the snow in Skyrim. 3dtv play doesn't seem to suffer from this though, at least no-where near to the same extent. Having said that though 3dtv play suffers from darkened graphics which 3dvision does not - at least in 3dvision 2 form that I'm using thanks to light boost.

On balance I'd choose 3dvision every time given how stunning the 3d effect is but 3dtv play isn't without it's advantages. My experience is also a little weighted towards 3dvision because I use that on a 27" monitor from about 2 feet and 3dtv play on a 50" TV from about 12 feet. So the TV feels pretty small by comparison.

Gah, don't know what to do. I need to decide on the telly today. 3D Skyrim .... :(

3D Skyrim is truly stunning. It makes you feel like you are literally right there, walking around Skryim yourself. I can only imagine how insane it would be in VR covering 100% of your field of vision with head tracking.

I haven't had any left-right issues yet at all. Maybe try a different override driver?

I don't play that many games yet though, but I do have AC2: Brotherhood and that one is quite good, though the framerate takes a serious hit for me. Far Cry 3 is the reverse - runs great but looks bad, but the I haven't tweaked the convergence settings yet.

Windows 8 app games don't seem to support 3D yet at all.

I haven't had any left-right issues yet at all. Maybe try a different override driver?

I don't play that many games yet though, but I do have AC2: Brotherhood and that one is quite good, though the framerate takes a serious hit for me. Far Cry 3 is the reverse - runs great but looks bad, but the I haven't tweaked the convergence settings yet.

Windows 8 app games don't seem to support 3D yet at all.

I thought Far Cry 2 looked spectacular in 3D, probably the best implementation I've seen so far. I've not played 3 though, it's a shame if they've gone backwards in that department.

So ... if I bought the 3D Vision kit, could I use the 3D Vision tools to get the best 3D but output, but to a passive 3DTV by using a force install of 3D Vision monitor driver instead of the tv driver?

I'm not sold on 3DTV Play at all now given your (much appreciated) feedback, but I can't justify ~£400 on a 3D monitor (and I'm not keen on TN panels).

3D PC gaming is one area where MS really should have taken a leadership role and drawn up standards for all PC games to aim for. It's kind of crazy that machines so powerful need bolt on cludges to get decent 3D.

No, 3d vision glasses work with 120hz monitors not passive tv's that rely on some sort of polarizing

Function, please ignore everything Davros says. He neither likes nor knows anything about 3D support on PC ... ;)

Your assumptions are correct, only it's not so much a 3D Vision monitor driver, as making a monitor driver identify itself as one that is supported by 3D Vision. I'm using a 277 euro 27" LG TV by the way.

And yes, Microsoft is late to the party, though I understand it's happening now, standardised 3D support in DirectX. So yeah, very late, but at least it looks like it's coming ... eventually. ;)

so arwin you think i'm wrong in saying 3d shutter glasses dont work with passive tv's ???

ps: i love 3d support on the p.c

so arwin you think i'm wrong in saying 3d shutter glasses dont work with passive tv's ???

ps: i love 3d support on the p.c

No you're right about that! Sorry, now I wasn't paying attention

@function: Davros is correct, you don't need the 3D Vision kit when you have a passive TV. You just use the glasses you generally get with your passive TV (they almost always come with glasses, as passive glasses are really cheap - mine came with two, and I bought an additional five for 20 euro for a total of seven pair :LOL:).

The 3D Vision kit was a proprietary system that NVidia came up with in the early days. This was a combination of graphics driver support for 3D, a 3D display, and a pair of active shutter glasses. They made the graphics driver support part work with existing 3D displays later.

Oh I know you wouldn't use the 3D Vision glasses with a passive TV! :D I wasn't really clear in my last post, but this is my thinking:

The 3D Vision software seems to enable better 3D than the 3DTV Play software (based on first hand info in this thread), so I was talking about using the 3D Vision software with a TV. Nvidia doesn't allow that, so I was thinking maybe you could plug in a 3D Vision kit to enable the 3D Vision software, then trick it into thinking you were connected to a 3D Vision display using the monitor driver override trick, then ... profit????

Not sure how you'd get active shutter glasses 3D Vision software to work with passive 3D modes though ... maybe using a HDMI standard transmission mode?

I want the best of both worlds if I'm going to go this route, so I want to get a big, passive telly working with 3D Vision (and I'm prepared to pay for the 3D Vision kit if it'll do it!). This is what I'm referring to with 3D Vision vs 3DTV Play btw:

They're very different implementations. I used 3DTV Play on my TV a few months back until the free trial ran out and was reasonably impressed. I recently got 3D vision and I didn't even realise it also entitled me to 3DTV play until I read ERP's post above so I'm a happy bunny now (thanks ERP!)

I can now swap and change between 3D Vision on the monitor and 3DTV Play on the TV. That's allowed me to do some direct comparisons this morning and from that it's pretty clear that the 3D effect of 3D vision is significantly superior to 3dtv play. 3dvision gives the impression of a real physical world stretched out in front of you which works to absolutely stunning effect in many games while 3dtv play is much more subtle giving a 3d look to the graphics but not really giving you a sense of there being a real physical world in front of you.

The good TV offers seem to be going up in price as we approach Christmas. I fear my last minute 3DTV envy may end up stinging me!

3D Vision started supporting passive 3D TVs as well, a while ago. This is what I'm trying to explain. I have a passive TV. 3D Vision has been expanded not too long ago to support some passive TVs. I presume NVidia requires a manufacturor to pay some money for the id of a monitor to be 'greenlisted'.

All you need to do for your passive TV to be recognised by NVidia's GPU driver to be 3D Vision supported, is a driver that has a valid id. So what some people did, is take their monitor driver and replace the id with one from a TV that is supported by NVidia.

Since however most passive TVs are the same (1080p, alternative scanlines, voila), you don't actually need to do this yourself, because the ones that people have modified and posted online will typically work for your passive TV.

Even if those don't work though, I presume you could still take your own monitor driver and replace the id (or have someone do it for you).

For the record, if NVidia would allow me to pay for 3D Vision rather than rely on the display manufacturor to pay that fee (as I'm guessing they're doing currently), I would happily pay them. But not for something as crappy as 3D TV Play, which I've tried, and pretty much sucks.

Note that when you don't get 3D Vision working, there are still other alternatives, like TriDef

Here's the instructions I followed to get it to work for me, using the Acer monitor driver:

http://3dvision-blog.com/7163-make-your-passive-3d-monitor-or-3d-hdtv-work-with-3d-vision/

again, there's plenty of other stuff.

I've got a passive monitor, and 3D Vision works perfectly fine (using that override that Arwin mentioned). I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for any passive display. As long as 3D Vision thinks you've got a compatible monitor, regardless of what it actually is, then it'll spit out the correct output and it will display normally.

Looking back at my original post, I'm not sure I was correct in my assumption of what I was seeing with reversed eyes. While that did happen once with Crysis 2 (which has a switch in the options panel to flip the output), I think the other problems I was seeing were simply very poor 3D rendering with incompatible games, that caused such eye strain that I interpreted it as flipped eye output.

Sadly, Assassin's Creed 3 is one of those. At first, I thought it was eye-flipped, but on closer examination, it was simply rendering the left and right eye completely differently, causing my eyes to go all wonky. The odd part of that is that the PS3 version of the game supports 3D natively.. why in the hell can't the PC do it? I'm half-tempted to haul my PS3 upstairs and play it on my monitor just to be able to play it in 3D. Here's hoping Helix makes a fix for it. (Oh, and I didn't buy it twice.. I got the PC version for free with my shiny new GTX-680 :))

3D Vision started supporting passive 3D TVs as well, a while ago. This is what I'm trying to explain. I have a passive TV. 3D Vision has been expanded not too long ago to support some passive TVs. I presume NVidia requires a manufacturor to pay some money for the id of a monitor to be 'greenlisted'.

All you need to do for your passive TV to be recognised by NVidia's GPU driver to be 3D Vision supported, is a driver that has a valid id. So what some people did, is take their monitor driver and replace the id with one from a TV that is supported by NVidia.

Since however most passive TVs are the same (1080p, alternative scanlines, voila), you don't actually need to do this yourself, because the ones that people have modified and posted online will typically work for your passive TV.

Even if those don't work though, I presume you could still take your own monitor driver and replace the id (or have someone do it for you).

For the record, if NVidia would allow me to pay for 3D Vision rather than rely on the display manufacturor to pay that fee (as I'm guessing they're doing currently), I would happily pay them. But not for something as crappy as 3D TV Play, which I've tried, and pretty much sucks.

Note that when you don't get 3D Vision working, there are still other alternatives, like TriDef

Here's the instructions I followed to get it to work for me, using the Acer monitor driver:

http://3dvision-blog.com/7163-make-your-passive-3d-monitor-or-3d-hdtv-work-with-3d-vision/

again, there's plenty of other stuff.

Okay, I think I get it now. Seriously.

Thanks!

I'd be careful with unofficial hacks, I believe NVidia closed at least one of the EDID holes in the 3xx drivers, and they've been fairly active in closing loopholes.
Look at the posts on the NVidia forums, apparently the hack people were using to use the playstation monitor no longer work.
Also you will want to be on the latest drivers with 3D vision, because NVidia do add support for games.

So they must be scanning to see what's attached then, and not just what monitor driver you have installed.

Back