NVidia 3D Vision Questions

That's good news. I don't have the glasses currently and I have the VG278HE model, but I'll be switching back to integrated model as it should be cheaper for me to get the 3Dvision that way. I have a reference 780Ti and it should be enough, but man I need to change the cooler on that thing. It barely hangs on with stock settings (not really if one has gotten used to good 3rd party coolers...)but it basically fells apart when overclocked with little extra voltage.

I've been watching some 3D movies with my projector and kind of got excited about 3D again. Last time I had the 3D vision, I didn't really play any games... :oops: That list you just posted looks pretty good! :)
I have the monitor setup perfectly on my couch.

tritosine5G said:
PM to PJB saying "it's not real 3D"

I figured we're better having this discussion in the thread since it's relevant to the topic so I've copied your PM to me above and will answer it here.

You're correct that it's not proper Stereoscopic 3D which means the effect is similar to that in Crysis 2 and many 3D consoles games, i.e. using some kind of depth buffer re-projection technique.

That said, it's still 3D and it's certainly better than nothing. Formally supported 3D vision has been lacking lately but thanks to this update (and it sounds there will be lots more games supported using this method) we can play the majority of big games these days in some form of 3D. Proper 3D vision is much preferred of course and is still available in plenty of games (Lego Marvel being a recent example) but this is an excellent step forward.

It's built right into the game, too. Even among 3D games, actually seeing the options right in the menus is pretty rare.

I played with the convergence settings today in Arkham City and wow it sure makes a ton of difference. I couldn't quite settle on what the best settings are though. It's kind of funny how with the convergence you can make the character pop in or out of the screen or keep him at the screen level, also the depth setting makes quite a big difference. I played couple of hours and my eyes felt a bit tired after it, but I'm much more positive about the 3D vision now than what I was before.

The new toggle mode between "proper" 3D and Nvidia's new re-projection 3D is pretty awesome for highlighting the massive difference between the two modes. Re-projection is clearly better than nothing but there's a world of difference between in and proper 3D.

I don't even bother with games that use reprojection. Waaaay too shallow. Reprojection can't handle the wide separation from true 3D on a medium-sized monitor.

As an interesting comparison, I booted up Arkham City on PS3 a couple days ago (it's free on PS+ this month), and the 3D (reprojected) was so shallow that I could play perfectly well without the glasses. Even at maximum "intensity", there's only 1-2mm separation on screen, which is barely noticeable from my regular seating distance.

I don't even bother with games that use reprojection. Waaaay too shallow. Reprojection can't handle the wide separation from true 3D on a medium-sized monitor.

As an interesting comparison, I booted up Arkham City on PS3 a couple days ago (it's free on PS+ this month), and the 3D (reprojected) was so shallow that I could play perfectly well without the glasses. Even at maximum "intensity", there's only 1-2mm separation on screen, which is barely noticeable from my regular seating distance.

Separation definitely isn't an issue with NV's method. At maximum depth the separation is about 3cm on Assassins Creed 4 - higher than proper 3D even. However the 3D effect is FAR flatter in reprojection mode regardless.

I think the beta drivers broke something in Arkham City 3d. At least some of the text are missing from one eye or more like letters in various places, looks really weird. I think I'll have to go back to the official drivers.

I think the beta drivers broke something in Arkham City 3d. At least some of the text are missing from one eye or more like letters in various places, looks really weird. I think I'll have to go back to the official drivers.

I'll let you know if I see the same thing, I'm about to start playing it again (got about a third through before I stopped for AC4).

Back