NV31/NV34 to have same basic feature set as NV30

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by KimB, Jan 25, 2003.

1. KimB

Legend

From this interview:

This says, to me, that the NV31 and NV34 products will support the same basic programmability as the NV30 (though perhaps with different instruction length support).

2. Arun

Arun Unknown.
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Yep. It was pretty much supposed, but it's a nice confirmation.
    Having 512 PS length ( or less ) on the NV34 PS seems like a given...

And that quote is pretty much a direct confirmation of my whole NV3x: VSA-100 and Strategical Advantages ( posted at www.notforidiots.com ) speculation. But it would seem from that nVidia decided to use that flexibility to have more solid desktop/workstation/mobile solutions, and not to diversify in other markets as I had supposed. Ah well, I guess they'll do so soon enough anyway.

CineFX pretty much means NV3x, it seems. Intellisample, on the other hand, doesn't, as we know the NV34 won't support Color Compression.
    I think one of the most expensive ( in transistors ) feature of CineFX, beside the huge instruction lengths, is Dynamic Branching. It requires a whole architecture which is significantly more complex ( the VS architecture in the GFFX is probably more efficient, but a lot more expensive ) , and thus costs more. Good thing we'll have it on low-end so soon :)

Uttar