NV30- the fan will last how long, we must dust it how often?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colourless said:
Slot 1 Celerons did not lock in. Getting them out was a real pain because the clips just squeezed on the sides. You needed to hold them apart get the CPU out. It wasn't possible to do it 1 handed.

This has been my experience too. I have a Pentium II 400 OEM which is still here. It most definitely, positively does NOT lock in and stay there...And for some of the others where it does feel like there is a click soon as it feels like it might lockin and stay there, it just bounces back out on it's own, or as one squeezed the one in on the other side, the side one squeezed before bounces out spontaniously... It is impossible with the size of my fingers to push them together at the same time, one handed...fingers not long enough. I wish Intel would have designed the mechanism on the slot 1 cartridge as AMD did with the slot A cartridge. Then again the slot A cartridge was mfg after the slot 1 cartridge, so perhaps AMD used what Intel did as a learning experience to make it better...

As to suggestion of using more force....the only way to do that would be to place the stupid thing in a vice grip, attach an electric motor to it, and let it squeeze real tight. As it is, my fingers can hurt and get kinda tired just trying to stretch them not even quite that far. I'm glad the slot 1 is gone...it was a major irritant, especially with, for instance a friend's i440LX mobo which put a PII 333 in there, and the thing seemed to die. Put the 300 Klamath back in there (after all this struggle again) and same thing, no boot. Stupid LX mobo needed the reset jumper jumped for 2 minutes to recognize a CPU again, and then that time IT DID take the 333 after the 300. Due to this nonsense with the slot, and then problems with the LX chipset (mind you I don't like putting my hands in a friend's computer and have them wonder if I broke it doing what is standard), the AGP probs many LX mobos had, etc, good ridance to the whole blasted thing!!!!! I for one am happy this thing isn't being designed anymore, but is now past history.

My delta fan developed unbalanceness to the max, it started to vibrate and shake my whole case causing all sorts of weird noises. I just couldn't take it no longer and bought a Thermatake Volcano 7+. Happiness returned to my life again. . .

Son Goku said:
Colourless said:
Slot 1 Celerons did not lock in. Getting them out was a real pain because the clips just squeezed on the sides. You needed to hold them apart get the CPU out. It wasn't possible to do it 1 handed.

This has been my experience too. I have a Pentium II 400 OEM which is still here. It most definitely, positively does NOT lock in and stay there...And for some of the others where it does feel like there is a click soon as it feels like it might lockin and stay there, it just bounces back out on it's own, or as one squeezed the one in on the other side, the side one squeezed before bounces out spontaniously... It is impossible with the size of my fingers to push them together at the same time, one handed...fingers not long enough.

Celeron slot 1 might not, but i have hundreds of pentium/pentium2 slot 1 procs that do.

yea I had a crap load of problems getting my athlon out and into the slot. crappy stuff.

See I really don't care if it took up an extra pci slot. What kills me is the amount of noise being reported. But come on this is nvidia we are talking about. Most of you wouldn't care if they sold you an nv30 watercooled with tecs (peltiers) told you the card had to be pluged into another power supply and the peliters. Not only that but it would take up two extra pci slots and two bays in the tower for the pump and water res and you would be saying oh its not to bad blah blah blah. Some of you were yelling about the power supply connector on the 9700. Its alot of back talk on this board. Its getting very annoying. :rolleyes:

Colourless said:

That is also correct for the socket370 - slot1 converter. You had to push the clips away from each other to remove the converter with the chip on it. When installing, the manual also said "push it in as far as it will go until you hear it click" or soemthing to that degree.

When quizzed by a gamer at the sound levels coming from the back of the card, an nVidia rep was quick to suggest that it wouldn’t matter much because gamers would be using headphones during their gaming.

Man, I have to remember to NOT take a sip of soda when reading these forums. I just nasal projected Mountain Dew and it really hurts.

I have to say this quote about what an NVidia rep had to say about noise level has to be the funniest thing I've heard in a long time concerning 3D hardware.

Maybe the delay in the Geforce FX is NVidia trying to get a deal with a company for bundling headphones with each new NV30 based product? :)

Wow free headphones...cool...

theyareontome.gif

Just incase no one sees the post I made in the news forum on the subject of the "all of our users will be using headphones" comment made by the nvidia representative.

The comment might also of been taken out of context, do you really think someone promoting a graphics card or any computer product to make a comment like that?. In my eyes, it was a humourous comment that the nvidia public relations representive made that really didn't mean anything what so ever. Anyone thinking that this comment is serious, really doesn't understand the ways of public relations and really doesn't understand that written words on a screen might not convey the true meaning of the sentence.

And anyone who actually thinks that the fan on the final release version of the geforcefx card will be louder then 40db is utterly crazy and I will eat my hat if i'm wrong.

RussSchultz said:
Sabastian said:
sas_simon said:
*whispers*I don't actually own a hat*whispers*

:oops:

Hrm... I'd settle for a shoe.. ;)

You don't own a pair of shoes? Or are you just missing one?

LMAO.. dam. I ment I would settle for him that, sence he has no hat ... he could eat a shoe should the binford cooling mechanism on the NV30 be as loud as reports are saying. :) That said though, I seriously doubt that nvidia would release the card with obnoxious sounding cooling mechanism. That would be pretty dumb on their behalf would it not?

Sabastian said:
That said though, I seriously doubt that nvidia would release the card with obnoxious sounding cooling mechanism. That would be pretty dumb on their behalf would it not?

Well no...some of the current Card coolers are very loud already, my buddies Ti4400 states its the loudest fan in his case.
Some people simply don't care, I personally do as my PC is in my Rec Room with my TV and I shouldn't have to crank the volume on my Home Theatre to overide my PC fan noise enough to shake the floor...

Stating that I'm sure the PC aftermarket can't wait for this card as I'm sure the usual players will have some exotic cooling solution ready, be it water cooling kits etc.. :D

I'm fairly sure that the YS Tech fans on the P125 heatsink I'm using on my 2nd PC are louder than any video card fan ever built, including the GeForceFX's. I don't have to crank anything up to be able to hear over those fans, and I even run with the side cover off of the case. And my fish tank is even louder than that. And the dishwasher is louder still. And the garbage truck is louder than the dishwasher.

I guess need to move to Montana so I can play my games in peace and quiet.

In my eyes, it was a humourous comment that the nvidia public relations representive made that really didn't mean anything what so ever.

That's exactly why it's so funny.

You have a PR rep under fire about the noise level, and the guy bit the bullet and made a joke. A very sarcastic joke, and especially humorous considering it's coming from a PR rep, which have been stereotypically known to seriously make such preposterous suggestions in the past.

I'm sure those in attendance got a good chuckle out of that one as well. :)

My comment about the headphones was in equal spirit. Obviously, the delays were NOT trying to get a contract with a headphone company to bundle these with every GeforceFX product. :)

One other point of interest on this thread... ooh, about page 14 or so.. concerning the mystical "throttling" we've been hearing about on the GeforceFX:

Having just one step wouldn't fit with their "Less noise when running outlook/word" statement, so there has to be some logic controlling it depending on use.

It appears to me there is much confusion concerning the "throttling" feature on the GeforceFX, as it was speculated here there would be clock rate "throttling" versus simply fan-rpm "throttling" based on operating temperature (or both).

Fan RPM throttling is a simple scheme with lots of higher-end CPU coolers have this feature already built in. It's just a simple thermoresistor attached at the bottom of the heatsink and readings are used to control the fan RPM. Some of the better P4/XP CPU coolers will throttle between 3000, 6000 and 9000 rpm depending on CPU temperature, with 9000 RPM being "buzzsaw" mode, which is obviously not needed for doing simple Word documents or windows net surfing.

A few random sources seem to be speculating the "throttling" either entails or is specifically GPU clock speed adjustment, which while I'd buy such a feature is standard for possibly GPU burn out (i.e. one throttle phase of like 50mhz if the fan completely fails and GPU temperature hits critical, melting point), I haven't heard anything really official about clock speed adjustment... just speculation on some sites about an interpretation of what the "throttling" involves (correct me if I'm wrong and you have a link somewhere quoting someone official).

It would be nice if we could get a direct answer on what the "throttling" feature truly entails, minus any failsafe "critical melting point only" clock speed adjustments. Leadtek has implemented this on ALL Geforce cards with their Winfox applet, which will automatically shut the GPU down to intolerable speeds rather than fry the card if something jams the fan- all the way back to the Geforce2. From the "Word document" quote, I would think the only thing inferred from this would be simple fan speed throttling, which makes good sense. East coasters, cold climate or frigid AC conditions and fan throttling may actually have a GeforceFX never reach it's peak fan RPM (and noise levels) with such a scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back