NPD March 2010

More graphs. Second-sourcing zed ;)

1621b2g.png

5befqa.png

PS3 should finally cross 20% hardware share in April. Took long enough!

edit: April should see the Xbox 360 clearing the 20 million mark, too.

April has been a slow month, so next NPD should be even less interesting than the last few. Pretty much everything that happens in NPD now is easily predictable.

I wish Final Fantasy had sold less. I hate Final Fantasy. I'm hoping it dies off quickly.

I wish Final Fantasy had sold less. I hate Final Fantasy. I'm hoping it dies off quickly.
:???: Why? What does it matter whether it's popular with other people or not? It's not like you're forced to play the best selling titles whether you like them or not!

:???: Why? What does it matter whether it's popular with other people or not? It's not like you're forced to play the best selling titles whether you like them or not!

If someone forced me to play a Final Fantasy game, I'd hope they'd give me a corded controller to strangle myself with. It'd be a lot easier than smashing myself to death with the console and/or controller.

I guess it's one of those things, like Justin Beiber and Lady Ga Ga, where the peripheral contact I have with it through commercials, news stories and press are basically enough to annoy me. It sucks that bad.

If someone forced me to play a Final Fantasy game, I'd hope they'd give me a corded controller to strangle myself with. It'd be a lot easier than smashing myself to death with the console and/or controller.

I guess it's one of those things, like Justin Beiber and Lady Ga Ga, where the peripheral contact I have with it through commercials, news stories and press are basically enough to annoy me. It sucks that bad.

Sounds like your hatred is for the series itself, regardless of the merits of the individual games. Nothing wrong with that, I suppose. But that's a dangerous path you're headed down, that will only lead to the Dark Side. Or perhaps I've been watching too much Star Wars? :LOL:

I don't hate it but I certainly look at it as a non-entity, in the same way I view fish. I don't eat fish EVER (take omega 3/6 pills) and when I see people order it or eat it, it appears to me as if they are eating a foreign substance, not food. As if I just don't recognize what they are doing and wonder "why would you want to do that to yourself?". :p

April has been a slow month, so next NPD should be even less interesting than the last few. Pretty much everything that happens in NPD now is easily predictable.

It's important that we get some really sucesfull PS3/360 games out of Japan, typical japaneese games like MGS4 and FF13 show that you don't have to be on handhelds or Wii to be sucesfull.
And it probably dosn't hurt that Square Enix has some money left in the bank, when they're going to fund the next Hitman-game, or whatever other game-franchise wich you like.

Yeah NPD is almost getting...boring...I'm not really sure why.

I'd say predictability, but it's almost like this gen is over in a way. In a real sense nothing will change, neither PS3 or 360 will get enough share to stop basically every third party supporting both, with the odd timed exclusive and such. It's also appeared to me for a while the market is getting more fragmented, with 360 strong in the UK and USA and PS3 everywhere else.

Maybe things will be more interesting in the fall for sure, when we see what Natal and Move can do. But even then it seems we'll never see a sea change the rest of this generation.

BTW, here are UK March sales that were posted on Neogaf (via Famitsu which publishes them every month IIRC). Should probably go in the Europe sales thread, but I think that's pretty buried now

UK
March, 2010
01 (_) [360] Battlefield: Bad Company 2 202,000
02 (01) [WII] Just Dance 190,000
03 (_) [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII 125,000
04 (_) [PS3] Battlefield: Bad Company 2 122,000
05 (_) [360] Final Fantasy XIII 110,000
06 (_) [PS3] God of War III 94,000
07 (08) [WII] Wii Fit Plus 93,000 / 1,240,000
08 (04) [PS3] Heavy Rain 86,000 / 172,000
09 (05) [WII] Wii Sports Resort 84,000 / 1,737,000
10 (_) [DS] Pokemon Soulsilver 79,000

Famitsu is a weekly Japanese mag, are you sure they were printing UK numbers? We generally don't get actual Chart-Track numbers at all.

Well if it makes you feel better, the latest is not anything like the previous ones... a reason why a long-time FF fan like myself (from the original onwards) actually is not much of a fan of the game. But you might like it, see what I'm saying? :) It's a decent game, it's just not a 'Final Fantasy' IMO.

Famitsu is a weekly Japanese mag, are you sure they were printing UK numbers? We generally don't get actual Chart-Track numbers at all.

Yes, for some reason they print the official UK monthly numbers every month. They are normally posted on NeoGAF. It's not that hard to believe. We certainly look at the Japanese numbers.

Battlefield the next cod:MW?

I don't remember what the numbers for BF:BC 1, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't very high. If these guys continue improving the multiplayer, I could see them approaching MW sales levels.

Battlefield the next cod:MW?

I don't remember what the numbers for BF:BC 1, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't very high. If these guys continue improving the multiplayer, I could see them approaching MW sales levels.

The gameplay is not selfish enough for MW2 levels. Too much teamwork requried for the Joe Shooter. But quite gald to see growing greatly as a series. They can really blow it up to say, Gears size (5-6mil sold), if they keep at it with BF3.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...s_PS3_Software_Shines_With_God_Of_War_III.php

In contrast to last month, the video game industry saw year-over-year March growth in the U.S. retail console space, with revenues up 6 percent to $1.52 billion

According to tracking firm NPD Group, hardware sales were down 4 percent year over year to $440.5 million, as hardware prices declined 16 percent overall since last March. Software sales, however, grew 10 percent to $875.3 million and accessory sales were up 11 percent to $206.8 million.

NPD analyst Anita Frazier says this is the first non-holiday year-on-year increase for the industry since February 2009, and the third best non-holiday month ever -- welcome news after a year laced with eroded consumer confidence.

Back