NPD June 2011

Wii bashing is not allowed here...:LOL:

Anyway I completely agree...there are lots of AAA games for Xbox that are less than $20 new.

As for Xbox sales going through the roof....well...lets just say that these people who bought Xboxes recently heard a little rumor about a piece of software that turns a Xbox into a closed box PC...;)

Isnt the ps3 aswell?.

Whoa, again absolutely mind boggling numbers by the X360. Slim + Kinect seems to be what many people in the US want.

I'm surprised noone has mentioned how well (relatively) Infamous 2 did. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it was #1 in the single SKU chart (the old NPD style of reporting). And being launched during the summer it's kind of expected it wouldn't be able to hit half a million.

Duke seems to be doing relatively well.

And COD:BO continues to increase its record setting sales numbers.

Regards,
SB

I wonder how big part of those were preorders. Had I been able to see the demo earlier I definitely would have waited at least until the price dropped by 50% before buying it or possibly hadn't bought it at all.

500K in june? Was there a Summer Solstice Sale or something for the 360? Is this what dads ask for on Father's Day?
As much hate as Microsoft's E3 conference has received, it was obviously a smash hit with people that don't necessarily belong to "the core".

Whoa, again absolutely mind boggling numbers by the X360. Slim + Kinect seems to be what many people in the US want.

I'm surprised noone has mentioned how well (relatively) Infamous 2 did. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it was #1 in the single SKU chart (the old NPD style of reporting). And being launched during the summer it's kind of expected it wouldn't be able to hit half a million.

And COD:BO continues to increase its record setting sales numbers.

Regards,
SB

It is.

507,000?

ridiculous for June although as noted last June was ridiculous also... I guess next gen they may as well call it the KinectBox. :D

I'm sure the likes of zed will be happy to believe it but I think Pachter as usual has no idea what he's talking about...
I dont read vgchartz
but you do realize that prachter has access to the NPD data (he was told off by NPD recently not to release the numbers)
thus if he saiz there were ~100k xbox360s given away free during the month, I'll take his word vs someone on a forum (like you or me)

@mrcorbo cheers I didnt realize they had to stop manufacturing those ps3's

@ wii price. At $250 yes it was overpriced yet even if they charged $400 at its launch it would of been sold out for a year or so, because everyone had to have one, thats desirablity. It was terrible value for money. Im sure everyones seen the stats, the wii is used far less than the other 2 consoles. 4-5 years ago it had the hype/desirability thats what sold it, the price didnt factor hardly at all.

I dont read vgchartz
but you do realize that prachter has access to the NPD data (he was told off by NPD recently not to release the numbers)
thus if he saiz there were ~100k xbox360s given away free during the month, I'll take his word vs someone on a forum (like you or me)

He's an analyst, he makes guesses for a living (not always correct ones). I expect this is another of them and nothing more.

I dont read vgchartz

Yeah but, we really have no idea, he did not throw out any numbers (unless you're extrapolating from the percentages). It seemed to me more like Pachter speculating based on some hearsay he heard through the grapevine. The part about distributors and Brazil was pretty odd too. Doesn't NPD specifically only count sold to retail? I just find it hard to believe they dont have firm longstanding policies in place about all these things (free giveaways too) rather than just being quote "talked into" things willy nilly because that would make their numbers pretty malleable and hurt their credibility.

Too me I just put it firmly in unconfirmed rumor land. Not to say there isn't chance it could be true, but unless NPD comments on it I count it as hearsay. At least for sure the distributor part.

BTW, I dont think there's much doubt now Sony made NPD stop giving out the numbers. If I'm not mistaken both Sony and MS literally gave out all their console sales numbers in press releases (Nintendo gave out DS, 3DS, and Wii!). Only Sony conspicuously didn't. That's pretty good of Nintendo too as they're not just doing gangbusters on 3DS and even Wii.

queue in 2015 next gen release ooh why did you perform so well 360.

Not if PS4 comes in 2013...

Whatever Sony/MS do for next gen timetable is liable to get blown up by the other at any time. Heck for a time there Wii U even looked like it was going to force next gen, and it still might depending if it provides a big power boost or not.

queue in 2015 next gen release ooh why did you perform so well 360.

On the other hand it might not be too bad of an idea to introduce your new consoles while your old is still doing good, rather than wait for it to decline in popularity and so on, this way you might transfer some of your momentum you have to the new system.

For one if your old one is still selling well you can use that to cover launch costs and what not and even maybe introduce a loss leading platform that might not show a huge financial impct if oyur old is still selling well.

For the other, it is two different groups we are talking about. It is usually not the same ones that buy a console for $400 as the ones that buy it at $150...

Lessons from history .. or.. something.

Nintendo thought everyone would stick with the NES and wait for SNES. Megadrive stepped in would have dominated (at least in the West) if not for Sega of Japan's shenanigans.

Nintendo thought everyone would wait for NES 3: Sega botched their next machine (because of Sega of Japan) but Sony walked off with the generation.

MS though the supercharged Xbox would win against the PS2, but the PS2 was already too well entrenched.

Sony thought next gen started when they said it did; they are now dead last (in terms of hardware sales, software sales, profits, online revenue, growth).

The world will move on no matter how happy a console vendor is with its current system. Squeezing the last few drops of revenue out of your current system is little compensation for missing out on billions of profits from the next generation.

Very mixed feelings about LA Noire sales...

On the one hand it's good to see a game that's trying to be different and innovative and requiring a lot of investment to become successful, it gives hope that we may see more of that.

On the other hand, this success is going to be used to justify the extremely destructive and damaging management philosophy behind the game, which may turn out to be far more detrimental to the game development industry...

Back