NPD February 2016 Sales Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish to congratulate eastman on asking incredulously why reliability is being discussed then talking about nothing else for the rest of the post and throwing in PS1 and PS2 to boot! Some kind of shiny ironic award is in order :yes:

Is a reward required ? Yes I think so . My fellow beyond3d members its about time we get Shiny Ironic awards for all the members. So vote Eastmen for beyond3d President.

Disclamer - this ad was paid for by beyond3d members for Eastmen as President of beyond3d.com.

Why the hell are people discussing the failure rate of the previous gen systems in a 2016 sales thread?

Having a PC hardware inside and Windows OS is not a thing that prevented Xbone of reaching success. Bad marketing, alienation of indie devs, loss of confidence with casual buyers, initial SDK issues, weird platform decisions [DRM, preventing used sales of discs, Kinect/TV-focus], weaker hardware, higher price, focus on old franchises, tiered launch ... all of that played a role.

Now when they have fixed a lot of things, stronger version of Xbone could be a success. Sadly, since they are moving their games to PC, many could opt to just keep their PC in line with current sysreqs, and don't bother with Xbone. There is also a question of current Xbone owners, how will they accept arrival of next hardware quicker than anticipated.
If Ms do release new hardware within 2 years I'm sure they will offer a decent trade up deal for current owners
I laugh so hard at all the people who thought MS had a chance this gen. Some friends try to argue: "But PS3 turned things around, so MS can do it as well". I then have to explain that, in total, PS3 outsold the 360 from the day it launched. And from the moment the 360 launched, Sony sold +50 million PS2 consoles.

But with the One; the moment the DDR3 specs and mandatory Kinect were known, it was over. The Always Online and some other bullshit MS tried to pull, to me, were just the icing on the cake.
Titanfall2 will be really interesting. I expect 70-30 in the favour of PS4, and that's just in the US. Globally... 75-25.
If Xbox sales drop below 100k a month, MS will pull the plug. Halo 6 might still be on Xbox, but Halo 7 will not be, mark my words :)
Your average console player doesn't give a crap about DDR3. DRM played its part,but it actually never happened. Kinect was clearly a mistake, but it was corrected.

Sure Sony is doing great with the Ps4 even without an abundance of exclusives or new IPs, but MS is still selling as many or even more Xbox Ones as they sold 360s at this point in time last gen.

Ms considered the 360 a great success. So why the hell would they pull the plug on a system that is doing just as well as the 360? Also the talk of Halo 7 not being on the Xbox One is short sighted. Halo 7 would be 6 development years away and would most likely launch on the successor to the One anyway. The time of 10 year console life cycles is over.

Ms considered the 360 a great success. So why the hell would they pull the plug on a system that is doing just as well as the 360?

The 360 had a slow start, the XB1 had a good start. The 360 accelerated and sold much more when it was 5+ year old. The XB1 is decelerating and the outlook is not great. With the current trajectory the XB1 will maybe do half of the 360 did over the course of 8 years, of course even less if they kill it early.

GTA V is never going to die... lol

Which is surprising that Rockstar didn't try to remake-remaster GTA-IV with it's superior story and likable characters and then you'd have seen two GTA games dominating the charts until the sequels.

Seriously? GTA? There's still people who don't have it?

I don't have it and was gonna buy it earlier this year but got something else. Will get it but the major issue is that many gamers are actually buying the game twice.

Many who beat it and completed on PS360 have gone back for the enhancements and online play perks which I hear many talking about.

Rockstar created a monster.

More than reliability, I'd be interested to know how past PS360 owners are transferring away from their old systems, and if those old systems are finding further use anywhere

PS4 seems to be a more compelling purchase than Xbox One (going by the vast gulf in sales globally), and undoubtedly lots of 360 owners are "jumping out" and going Sony, but might there also be more 360 owners than PS3 owners still hanging around in last gen?

As far as transferring, I would say no different than past console generations. Console gamers actually keep their old hardware instead of disposable PC parts.

There's still many games to be revisited again later however unless said game got a proper remaster or remake.

Besides the historical debates that some try to deny...one of the major problems going on with XboxOne is that Microsoft has not handled the remaster/remakes properly.

Halo collection could have been substantially enhanced without the MP and likewise for Gears of War which could have benefited from major 3d engine and gameplay mechanics enhancements to make a must-have collection but there's political problems with gamers who beat the games to death and fears of enhancements.

Interestingly a friend of mine fixes consoles and the most broken consoles he receives from customers are PS3's. He still gets some PS3 slims too. I had a PS3 fat BC which died on me and got fixed once. After some time though the fans were going crazy without even playing anything. And that is a bitch to fix.
Sony for some peculiar reason has some rectangular plates sitting on top of the processors and its extremely difficult to remove without damaging. A thin tool like a blade is required to do that but it's something you have to make yourself, otherwise kiss your console goodbye. And even then it needs extreme caution. The paste inside those plates is usually the culprit and needs replacement. And it makes the console a lot harder to fix if the problem is an overheated processor that gets you a YLOD. The 360's are easier to fix if they get a RROD

Your explanation sounds kinda hard to believe as someone who has disassembled PS3s and many consoles.

The stock PS3 thermal paste is in fact not causing the "heatsink system" to stick to the "heatspreader" unless someone is imagining things a simple slight sliding motion is all that's needed to remove if indeed it seems tight however if someone is applying thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5 or something similar that causes a sticky feeling then there's no need to remove the heatsink system from the heatspreader as all you need to do is use a vacuum or air can to blow any possible dust build up and clear air ways which is what actually causes the fan to ramp up.

However the fact that the fan on PS3 launch units actually "ramps up" is indicative of it's design in actually working but sensing the need to increase cooling during gaming sessions and does not mean the console is gonna die because if you actually keep the console powered and continue playing...eventually the fan will ramp down.

I have experience with ten hour sessions both during 2007 (when I was only trying the console and was gonna return it) and afterwards when I dusted, cleaned and applied new thermal paste then tested for ten plus to twenty hours in winter and summer...

All electronic chips generate heat, it's the thermal paste and heatsink system design's job to cycle that heat but quickly turning off the console because the fan ramped up is more than likely gonna cause problems just like how pc graphics cards get premature deaths.

Shifty, I know many people who are dedicated xbox 360 fans who owned a minimum of four consoles. Some tried to sell me their dying consoles even.

Plus there was a major problem with last gen being state of the art tech chips and gamers still treating said devices as something you can carry around or put on the floor...on a rug...or in tight spaces blocking air flow something that both current consoles target somewhat.

Currently as for XboxOne sales I'm rather surprised that Microsoft didn't fund remake-remasters more properly and not all their flagship titles are out and that's something they should be have been working on.

However all evidence points to previous focus on t.v. viewing, kinect and that's what scared off their usual base.

Your explanation sounds kinda hard to believe as someone who has disassembled PS3s and many consoles.

The stock PS3 thermal paste is in fact not causing the "heatsink system" to stick to the "heatspreader" unless someone is imagining things a simple slight sliding motion is all that's needed to remove if indeed it seems tight however if someone is applying thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5 or something similar that causes a sticky feeling then there's no need to remove the heatsink system from the heatspreader as all you need to do is use a vacuum or air can to blow any possible dust build up and clear air ways which is what actually causes the fan to ramp up.

However the fact that the fan on PS3 launch units actually "ramps up" is indicative of it's design in actually working but sensing the need to increase cooling during gaming sessions and does not mean the console is gonna die because if you actually keep the console powered and continue playing...eventually the fan will ramp down.

I have experience with ten hour sessions both during 2007 (when I was only trying the console and was gonna return it) and afterwards when I dusted, cleaned and applied new thermal paste then tested for ten plus to twenty hours in winter and summer...

All electronic chips generate heat, it's the thermal paste and heatsink system design's job to cycle that heat but quickly turning off the console because the fan ramped up is more than likely gonna cause problems just like how pc graphics cards get premature deaths.

Shifty, I know many people who are dedicated xbox 360 fans who owned a minimum of four consoles. Some tried to sell me their dying consoles even.

Plus there was a major problem with last gen being state of the art tech chips and gamers still treating said devices as something you can carry around or put on the floor...on a rug...or in tight spaces blocking air flow something that both current consoles target somewhat.

Currently as for XboxOne sales I'm rather surprised that Microsoft didn't fund remake-remasters more properly and not all their flagship titles are out and that's something they should be have been working on.

However all evidence points to previous focus on t.v. viewing, kinect and that's what scared off their usual base.
This PS3 is in super high speed fan mode.
After 3 minutes.
No game running. Just in the main OS menu
After it was cleaned up
And Arctic Silver added. But not under the plates where the processors are sitting which are extremely hard to remove without braking them

After 3 minutes.
After it was cleaned up
And Arctic Silver added. But not under the plates where the processors are sitting which are extremely hard to remove without braking them

I'll check out the video however the "plates" you are referring to are called "heat spreaders" and they carry the same risk as removal of heat spreaders on Intel and AMD and Nvidia processors.

The heat spreaders being removed does require a blade but it also requires advanced knowledge of manufacturing assembly to reassemble.

If indeed Arctic Silver 5 (or similar) was applied to the top surface of the heat spreaders for the heatsink system then if the fan ramps up with "no game" why not do a ten to twenty hour session in a day...immediately after reassembly or if it was believed to have been done in a satisfying manner?

Use a game like Gran Turismo 5/6 or Uncharted 2 or The Last of Us. Record ambient room temperature which btw shouldn't be as paranoid as PC elitist who have heavy duty AC during summer months.

Anyway part of the reason this is being discussed as I've read this thread is that people are tracing the whys of current gen console sales.

As for resolution-gates and GDDR 3/5 none of that really matters to the average fanboys or casual consumers.

What matters is what games are there and I've mentioned key details as to why Microsoft is in a tough spot.

We could mention Uncharted series or The Last of Us but we all know those games weren't huge sales record breakers on PS3...yet they there was some good foresight to make decent remastered versions.

After 3 minutes.
After it was cleaned up

I don't understand, I had a launch Japanese 60GB (so full BC) - I did the repair myself, it wasn't overly hard to repair but I will admit I didn't do the reflux so it only lasted a couple of months. Essentially I fixed it and sold it on cheaply saying I had fixed as best I can with no g'tee other than a couple of weeks (I sold it at the price of dead PS3s on eBay)...the guy buying it was fine about it, he just wanted to try out PS3 cheaply.

Anyway, going back to the bolded, as there are many videos showing the PS3 YLoD fix - maybe you can point to one where they explain how difficult it is to remove the plates?

edit fwiw this is the guide I followed;

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back