NPD February 2016 Sales Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ps4 up YoY while X1/WiiU down. This isn't good for competition but it seems like MS isn't too focused on that anymore. Curious to see how NX shapes up against X1/Ps4.

PS4 up on 352k last February??? Hard to believe but strong if so.

Then again, it's tax return time so sales might be up quite a lot over January.
Overall:

February retail game sales are down 12% year over year.
Hardware was down 23% year over year.
Retail game sales were down 10% year over year.

Software:
  1. Far Cry: Primal (PS4, Xbox One)
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  3. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
  4. Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm (PS4, Xbox One)
  5. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  6. Lego Marvel Avengers (360, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, PS3, 3DS, Vita)
  7. Street Fighter V (PS4)
  8. Minecraft (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
  9. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright (3DS)
  10. Fallout 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC)

Hardware:

PS4: Best selling platform, up year over year.

Surprised SFV made the top 100.

If PS4 was up in unit terms and hardware revenue was down significantly YoY, it's probably not great for Xbox, although declining WiiU sales could also factor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Software results:

Correction to Lego Marvel Avengers, PS4 was actually the top selling platform:

Lego Marvel Avengers (PS4, 360, Xbox One, Wii U, PS3, 3DS, Vita)

And while SFV charted, it was a somewhat slow month. SFV sales were not very good relatively speaking. Hopefully it has legs though once more content is released.

Last edited by a moderator:
SFV is bombing hard compared to SFIV and players count (on PC) is nose diving each passing day. Really happy to see Far Cry Primal on top. This game really deserves it for trying something different and its atmosphere. Ubi Soft is probably going to take the top spot again next month with The Division.

Microsoft's PR mentions Windows 10 as many time as XBOX... the transition as begun...

So PS4 LTD was ~12.4 m for 2013, 2014 and 2015.
https://twitter.com/zhugeex/status/688018868653154308

~230k PS4s were sold on january 2016

@ZhugeEX just announced that PS4 hit 13m LTD in the US.
https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/708090021232902144

13 - (12.4 + 0.23) = 0.37

Sony sold roughly 370k PS4 in US this February.

From creamsugar:
T3iZGuf.png

If PS4 is at ~370k, XB1 would be at ~227k

Last edited:
Software results:

GTA V is never going to die... lol

via Welfare at GAF:

Reposting

PS4 = 405k or 406k !

XB1 = 248k or 249k

Wii U = 69k or 70k
Woah, I know it's a tax month but still... that's a good number for PS4.

SFV apparently did 200-210k. I'd imagine that this would be a type of game that would sell more digitally compared to other games, but still not good. The complete lack of advertising and lack of content really hurt sales it seems. Again, hopefully it has legs when more content releases.

Last edited:
Microsoft's PR mentions Windows 10 as many time as XBOX... the transition as begun...

My Google skills are clearly lacking, I can't find their PR.

... I really hope we have another Xbox. And one that isn't a glorified PC...

... I really hope we have another Xbox. And one that isn't a glorified PC...

Having a PC hardware inside and Windows OS is not a thing that prevented Xbone of reaching success. Bad marketing, alienation of indie devs, loss of confidence with casual buyers, initial SDK issues, weird platform decisions [DRM, preventing used sales of discs, Kinect/TV-focus], weaker hardware, higher price, focus on old franchises, tiered launch ... all of that played a role.

Now when they have fixed a lot of things, stronger version of Xbone could be a success. Sadly, since they are moving their games to PC, many could opt to just keep their PC in line with current sysreqs, and don't bother with Xbone. There is also a question of current Xbone owners, how will they accept arrival of next hardware quicker than anticipated.

via Welfare at GAF:

Woah, I know it's a tax month but still... that's a good number for PS4.

SFV apparently did 200-210k. I'd imagine that this would be a type of game that would sell more digitally compared to other games, but still not good. The complete lack of advertising and lack of content really hurt sales it seems. Again, hopefully it has legs when more content releases.

PS4 is the only console up year to year by 20%.

Having a PC hardware inside and Windows OS is not a thing that prevented Xbone of reaching success. Bad marketing, alienation of indie devs, loss of confidence with casual buyers, initial SDK issues, weird platform decisions [DRM, preventing used sales of discs, Kinect/TV-focus], weaker hardware, higher price, focus on old franchises, tiered launch ... all of that played a role.

Now when they have fixed a lot of things, stronger version of Xbone could be a success. Sadly, since they are moving their games to PC, many could opt to just keep their PC in line with current sysreqs, and don't bother with Xbone. There is also a question of current Xbone owners, how will they accept arrival of next hardware quicker than anticipated.

I've been hoping for an xbox one plus for over a year now :). Some will be very thrilled for it. However some might feel bummed, but its not that much different than when either side comes put with a new slim edition. And you know those get gobbled up quickly.

No the hardware is down by 23% due to 3DS sales down not PS4 and Xbox One and Wii U

Last year (estimates based off Welfare's YoY %)
PS4: ~343k
XB1: ~275k
WiiU: ~94k
Total: 712k

This year
PS4: 405k
XB1: 248k
WiiU: 69k
Total: 722k

The PS4 and Xbox One market is a bit higher than last year 653 k this year and 618k last year in US in February.

PS4 strong...remember that price cut is still just 5 months old and really kicking in now.

But it helped sales a lot as opposed to, not.

PS4 strong...remember that price cut is still just 5 months old and really kicking in now.

But it helped sales a lot as opposed to, not.

True, but having the memory of a $299 PS4 really hurts when you buy one in Q1. I bought a second one, but went with a white Destiny TTK bundle, so $399. Free shipping, no tax and a copy of the game softened the blow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back