NPD February 2016 Sales Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
IHS probably had no idea what they are talking about unless somebody can prove otherwise. They are the common report people cite for PS3>360, but there's never any evidence shown behind that report. If somebody can prove the data, please do.

It might be different if IHS had said "using NPD/GFK/Media Create data, we conclude" or something, but they didn't. There's literally no mention how they concluded that. It probably was a guess IMO.

I guess we wont know but pretty much most data I know of certainly suggests X360 won by a nose (including that PS3 died off a lot quicker, due to the hot PS4)
Heh, I'm sure Zhuge has more sales data than you do. It really doesn't matter who 'won' last gen... it was virtually a tie. For all of the mistakes that Sony made with the PS3, their efforts to reduce the costs and the strength of the PS brand worldwide allowed them to come back from MS having a years head-start and a price advantage for the entire gen. Microsoft just doesn't have the brand power Sony does to make a comeback this gen.
You're kidding right? You don't remember red ring of death?
Agreed. I can't see how people can argue that the X360 was more reliable. Not only was RRoD a HUGE issue earlier on, a lot of X360s were scratching discs.
I don't recall very many optical drive issues with the PS3, at least not widespread. The main issue with the PS3 that I remember was the YLOD, but it pales in comparison to the RRoD.

Every reliability article I've read earlier on had the PS3 beating the X360 by a landslide, losing only to the Wii by a bit. Not only until later in the gen did MS start catching up.

Last edited:
There's higher reports of optical drive failure for Sony PS3, what with optics getting out of alignment and bluray laser failures. I dont know if anyone can honestly say Ps3 has higher reliability.

X360 was 1000000% more unreliable than PS3, especially during first 2-3 years on the market. Millions of x360 consoles died in that period, and there are countless tales of users who switched consoles for repaired ones. It was a fucking disaster, for which MS has to pay $1 billion to set-up repair centres so that they Xbox brand would not be totally destroyed.

PS3 had acceptable industry level of defections [which is up to 3% for electronic products].

You should try explaining to them the truth instead of lies. The PS3 had not outsold the X360 in terms of lifetime to date sales numbers.

Based on statements by Sony and Microsoft, it may well have done. Microsoft's 14Q1 statement dated 24 October 2013 shows them having sold 78.2 Xbox 360 consoles LTD. On 2 November 2013 Sony put out a press release saying they had sold 80m PlayStation 3 consoles.

Microsoft's cut off point for reporting would have been 30 September 2013 and while it's not impossible they sold 1.8m Xbox 360 consoles in the period 1 October 2013 thru 2 November 2013 (when Sony made their press release) it is very unlikely given the entire 14Q1 (July to September 2013) Microsoft reported 1m worldwide sales of Xbox 360 and the previous quarter (April to June 2013) they reported 1.3m worldwide sales of Xbox 360. A sudden tripling of Xbox 360 sales in the weeks prior to nextgen launches seems statistically unlikely.

This is why many people call it a draw in terms of absolute sales numbers.

edit: 1.8m, not 1.2m. #mathfail

Last edited by a moderator:
You're kidding right? You don't remember red ring of death?

Im talking about the last models they're selling. I see far more optical / laser deaths on PS3s than I do x360s.

What does that have to do with either total sales or current active users? Even if the current model failure rate of PS3 is slightly higher than 360, that hardly offsets two years of nearly 100% fail rate for the Xbox to begin last gen.

What does that have to do with either total sales or current active users? Even if the current model failure rate of PS3 is slightly higher than 360

Someone threw out the bogus posture that there are more current PS3 users than X360 users because the PS3 system is more reliable. That claim is in dispute. That is why and how its related.

Extreme example:
Two people are running the same distance. Runner 1 starts at 1pm, runner 2 starts at 2pm. Both finish at 3pm.
Which runner outpaced the other?

Sony outsold MS worldwide, that is a historical fact based on sale data provided by both companies.

No its not easy to believe. There's higher reports of optical drive failure for Sony PS3, what with optics getting out of alignment and bluray laser failures. I dont know if anyone can honestly say Ps3 has higher reliability.

Reports you say, where can I read them? Or do you mean "I heard from the internets.."? The 360 was a POS for the first few iterations. I went through three myself and was not even a big 360 gamer. I still have my two PS3s from last gen. I'm sure the BD drive was the least reliable part of the PS3, but don't make a false equivalency with the 360 reliability, which was abysmal.

Same, never had to replace or repair a PS3 either. Mind you I sold my launch unit and bought a slim which I still own today. I somehow doubt my launch unit is still out in the wild.

My slim hasn't been used much in the past 2-3 years but it still works fine. Only one person I know had issues with their PS3 and they had to replace the HDD. I don't know a whole lot of gamers though.

This is one of those conversations that can be concluded with anecdotal evidence! Someone somewhere needs to present data to have a real discussion.

Wasn't there a study (amongst retailers & vendors) that showed XB360 had a 24% failure rate and PS3 10% failure rate?

Personally, I had no issues with my XB360, still have the first generation model. However, the now defunct CompUSA (brick & mortar) had loads of XB360's users replacing/returning XB360s during the first two and half years of XB360 life. Actually we sold more aftermarket warranties for XB360, than Laptops during those years.

Someone somewhere needs to present data to have a real discussion.

Sales data is on record, I summarised in my earlier post - it was very close and those were the last definitive figures that were published for either lastgen console.

In terms of failures, Microsoft's costs are well documented (Peter Moore on IGN's podcast later estimated the total was $150m more than the initial $1Bn underwrite) but there is nothing in Sony's financials indicating costs due to failures outside of industry norms. It's difficult to believe significant costs could be hidden given how transparent Sony's financials are regarding their gaming business.

If Sony's CFO was that good, they wouldn't have got into trouble in the first place ;)

Someone threw out the bogus posture that there are more current PS3 users than X360 users because the PS3 system is more reliable. That claim is in dispute. That is why and how its related.

You're the only one disputing what is indisputably supported by all the evidence at hand. And you never answered my question as to how your snips about recent model PS3 failures could possibly change the overall picture.

Sales data is on record, I summarised in my earlier post - it was very close and those were the last definitive figures that were published for either lastgen console.

In terms of failures, Microsoft's costs are well documented (Peter Moore on IGN's podcast later estimated the total was $150m more than the initial $1Bn underwrite) but there is nothing in Sony's financials indicating costs due to failures outside of industry norms. It's difficult to believe significant costs could be hidden given how transparent Sony's financials are regarding their gaming business.

If Sony's CFO was that good, they wouldn't have got into trouble in the first place ;)

Most of PS3's failures came after the warranty period. Lead free solder was a problem for them as well. Outside of the warranty period the end user was charged a fee for any repairs to the device. Microsoft on the other hand footed the entire bill for any warranty repairs related to RROD as well as extending the warranty period virtually indefinitely for said issue.

In other words, no one would have been required to pay for RROD repairs once Microsoft implemented that. Hence the significant costs associated. While Sony charging users to fix issues mitigated most of the costs associated with PS3 issues.

PS3 had far higher rates of failure after the initial 1-2 year period of ownership than X360. While X360 first couple iterations had far higher rates of failure in the first year of ownership. Note - this is for the first iterations of each machine. Later in the generation both companies came to grasp with the lead free solder problem and failure rates were basically the same for both after that.

If the X360 lasted the first year without problems, it was likely to keep going. My launch X360 (used by relatives now) is still going strong. Albeit noisy. All original equipment on it as well.

Regards,
SB

Most of PS3's failures came after the warranty period. Lead free solder was a problem for them as well. Outside of the warranty period the end user was charged a fee for any repairs to the device. Microsoft on the other hand footed the entire bill for any warranty repairs related to RROD as well as extending the warranty period virtually indefinitely for said issue.

In other words, no one would have been required to pay for RROD repairs once Microsoft implemented that. Hence the significant costs associated. While Sony charging users to fix issues mitigated most of the costs associated with PS3 issues.

PS3 had far higher rates of failure after the initial 1-2 year period of ownership than X360. While X360 first couple iterations had far higher rates of failure in the first year of ownership. Note - this is for the first iterations of each machine. Later in the generation both companies came to grasp with the lead free solder problem and failure rates were basically the same for both after that.

If the X360 lasted the first year without problems, it was likely to keep going. My launch X360 (used by relatives now) is still going strong. Albeit noisy. All original equipment on it as well.

Regards,
SB

I think I need to see something to back this claim up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back