NPD February 2018 Results

No one expected X to drive Xbox numbers. Except me...
Almost everyone expected X to push XB1 sales initially. It's still too early to see the effects of X on XB1 sales in terms of baseline performance, it's still only 4 months old. It makes it even harder to judge considering MS keeps putting out promos.

I've said since before the X's launch that I expect X to sell well for a few months after launch and have a relatively high share of XB1's total sales, but then fall more inline with PS4 Pro. I've also said that I expect X to have a slightly higher share of XB1 sales compared to Pro, due to the power differences, despite being more expensive.

Assuming the balance between US and other countries didn't change, xb1 (including x) is still being outsold around 2:1 by sony and over 2:1 by nintendo. I have no idea how that can be considered a significant improvement from the last 4 years.

It sure looks like the status quo.

I'm just talking about the 4 months of NPD numbers since X launched look pretty solid.

BTW we dont get sales for countries outside the US. If Xbox is doing better in USA it's almost certainly doing better everywhere. But of course, if it's losing to PS4 in a given month in USA, it has no chance WW. But speaking of year over year sales etc.

I don't think there's any high-probability correlation that growth in one market will see similar growth in other markets, or indeed dissimilar growth. We see time and again brands waxing and waning in different regions. Apple/Coke/Nike may start selling less well in one country and more in another. So X1X may have invigorated NA, but X1 could be mostly dead and dying across Europe as a brand and X1X had no impact, or X1X has seen notably higher growth across EU as, I dunno, 4K TV penetration has increased and Europeans are wanting 4K consoles with HD disc playback.

Back