Nokia's Present & Future

First off, CM10.1 is not a mess and it at least as reliable as any stock ROM without bloat or stutter. You should give it a try.

Secondly, you give up far more than that. You don't even have support for IMAP IDLE (push) on WP8 - something that was available on the very first, pre-Treo PalmOS phones. Hell, you only have ONE choice for an email app. You give up user-replaceable batteries, SD cards for expanded storage, file system access for manipulating files:

- don't have a .rar, .gzip, etc. app on Android, webOS, BB10 or MeeGo? Just open a terminal and open it that way.
- want to make a backup copy of a file, store it in a locked directory and then work on the copy? No problem on those other OSes.
- want to connect your phone to your laptop on a plane and pull email attachments that you received on your phone onto your laptop? Not on WP8.
- want to transfer that PPT that you spent the entire flight to Germany preparing to your mobile before you land so you can send it as soon as you can power up that phone? Not on WP8.

Competition and innovation are good. Innovation is best when the innovators succeed. Apply may or may not be dying, but the paradigm of the iPhone changed everything. There would be no WP8 as it is today without the iPhone. webOS was better and lost the fight and many of its innovations are lost (at least for now).

What is the innovation of WP8? Tiles? Sorry, that was already patented. Nice animations? Seriously.

As for the use cases above , they don't really do anything for me. Production work would get done on a tablet at the very least , most likely a laptop or laptop/hybrid like my surface.

Like I said , for myself and others perhaps the large majority of the market , we want phones that just work and let us get online. That is why people like the iphone and the vast majority don't root their android devices.

Mize. It is great that you find a custom firmware to work well for you. However for me and i'm sure a lot of people that is not a way to go. IF I mod my phone and then need support the carriers will laugh at me and send me on my way.

Like I said , for myself and others perhaps the large majority of the market , we want phones that just work and let us get online. That is why people like the iphone and the vast majority don't root their android devices.

I guess that large majority has spoken. Right now 75% seem to have decided that Android best fits that need.

Good times.

Personally, I'm quite baffled as to why anyone would have problems with some of the recent Android phones, even on the stock ROMs.

How exactly don't they work for you, eastmen? I remember you said that factory resets are required frequently but I can't really see why this would be necessary, unless you've got some rogue apps messing things up.

As a reference, my fiancee has a Motorola Defy with some old Gingerbread ROM which I put on there well over a year ago and she installs all sorts of crap on the phone (she's mad keen on all sorts of quiz games), but that seems to work fine 99.99% of the time. The only time she ever seems to have issues with the phone is when she's forgotten to charge it fully or hasn't rebooted for a couple of weeks. No issues getting online, accessing mail or anything.

I just wonder why you have so many issues? Perhaps because of some of the apps you use?

I guess that large majority has spoken. Right now 75% seem to have decided that Android best fits that need.

Good times.

But I doubt the 100% of the market of that 75% all have rooted phones and do those tasks daily .

Lets also not forget that the market had spoken 5 years ago and choose something else and then spoke and choose ios while android flopped and then finally started to choose android over ios until android became top dog.

Market is always speaking , most of the time it doesn't know what its talking about.

Personally, I'm quite baffled as to why anyone would have problems with some of the recent Android phones, even on the stock ROMs.

How exactly don't they work for you, eastmen? I remember you said that factory resets are required frequently but I can't really see why this would be necessary, unless you've got some rogue apps messing things up.

As a reference, my fiancee has a Motorola Defy with some old Gingerbread ROM which I put on there well over a year ago and she installs all sorts of crap on the phone (she's mad keen on all sorts of quiz games), but that seems to work fine 99.99% of the time. The only time she ever seems to have issues with the phone is when she's forgotten to charge it fully or hasn't rebooted for a couple of weeks. No issues getting online, accessing mail or anything.

I just wonder why you have so many issues? Perhaps because of some of the apps you use?

the phones just get slower. Yesterday I was reading a post here on tapatalk and decided to share a link with a friend on my text message. So I copied the link and use the home key to bring up the multitasking and picked my text messages and then turn the phone on its side for more writing space. The lag was really bad , first it started to display on its side and then it switched to a vertical display before settling in on its horizontal . Then there are tons of force closed apps . I love using something and then suddenly i'm at my home screen with it not working.

I had these problems with my epic and now my note 2. I never had the problem with my arrive.

As for apps. I have engadget , yelp , foursquare , guidebook , taptalk , candy crush , triple a and then curiosity.

I find more problems inside of the os however. Its mostly the google stuff built into the phone that gives me problems.

Also my second job is part time at sprint fixing phones. The amount of android issues that come in are astounding. The os is poorly made and it lets programs run ramped

You don't have to root your phone to have user-replaceable batteries, SD card slots or much better app selection :) You do like to respond rather selectively, don't you eastmen?

As for needing a phone to work primarily as a phone I would think that the crap battery life an inability to change a battery would matter, but I'm sure you'll respond with "oh, I'm always near an outlet like 75% of all users so that's no problem" which is both baloney and means you have to carry a charger, not just a second battery.

Then there's storage space...but again I'm sure for you and "75% of users" that doesn't matter either. In fact the only specs or features that matter are those where one can argue WP8 has an advantage which appear to consist of "better as a phone" and a "better made OS where programs don't run ramped [sic]"

Seriously? It's like arguing religion since all you have a qualitative hand wavy things and a sense that one OS is better underneath as though you're some OS expert. LOL :)

You don't have to root your phone to have user-replaceable batteries, SD card slots or much better app selection :) You do like to respond rather selectively, don't you eastmen?

Not all of the Lumia's don't feature user replaceable batteries either. For example, both the Lumia 820 and 620 feature removeable batteries. Just as I'm sure there are Android devices without replaceable batteries so too the Lumia 920. I'm not sure any of the other Lumias suffer from that issue.

Regards,
SB

as pointed out before me there are nokia windows phones that allow this. There are also other windows phone's with removeable batteries and sd cards.

As for needing a phone to work primarily as a phone I would think that the crap battery life an inability to change a battery would matter, but I'm sure you'll respond with "oh, I'm always near an outlet like 75% of all users so that's no problem" which is both baloney and means you have to carry a charger, not just a second battery.
as per above , there are also micro usb batteries too that work on all phones.

Then there's storage space...but again I'm sure for you and "75% of users" that doesn't matter either. In fact the only specs or features that matter are those where one can argue WP8 has an advantage which appear to consist of "better as a phone" and a "better made OS where programs don't run ramped [sic]"
see above. Also remember there are android phones that don't allow you to remove batteries or add more storage.

Seriously? It's like arguing religion since all you have a qualitative hand wavy things and a sense that one OS is better underneath as though you're some OS expert. LOL :)

Its all fun and games until your in a car accident and you can't get help because you had to flash a custom rom to it and something started to go wrong. That's why I prefer to just have a phone that works properly without a need to mess around with it

last time I was in Disney I went through 3 note 2 batteries and thankfully I had a 7,500 mah micro usb battery.

Goodness. What on Earth were you doing to use over 9000mAh of battery power in one day!?!

As you were at Disney, lots of photographs and video, I assume? If so, don't forget that even many dedicated compact cameras are only specified to take a couple of hundred shots on a single charge. Expecting more from a smartphone than a dedicated camera is capable of would seem a bit too much to hope for?

The lumia 720 has won an award:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/smartphones/381886/nokia-lumia-720/2

This article says it has astounding battery life, great build quality, micro sd slot, nice weight and feel, best camera for its price point, and excellent screen.

Only slight negative was wvga screen compared to the similar priced nexus 4, although the reviewer notes that the lumia screen was of higher quality.

I've seen many other reviews like this and of other lumia, in fact reviews of most lumia have all been pretty high, so quality of product is not the issue from Nokia.

I would suggest the issue is grabbing the attention of Joe blogs on the street in an entrenched market (market penatrarion) and Microsoft pulling it's fingers out of its arsenal and getting features and hardware up to androids standard.

Early rumors point to EOS comming with same chip set and screen as 925...nothing wrong with the screen as it's more than matches iPhone 5/6.

We need s800 soc and 2gb ram in a Nokia flagship to be released THIS Year for WP to really take hold.

The lumia 720 has won an award:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/smartphones/381886/nokia-lumia-720/2

This article says it has astounding battery life, great build quality, micro sd slot, nice weight and feel, best camera for its price point, and excellent screen.

Only slight negative was wvga screen compared to the similar priced nexus 4, although the reviewer notes that the lumia screen was of higher quality.

I've seen many other reviews like this and of other lumia, in fact reviews of most lumia have all been pretty high, so quality of product is not the issue from Nokia.

I would suggest the issue is grabbing the attention of Joe blogs on the street in an entrenched market (market penatrarion) and Microsoft pulling it's fingers out of its arsenal and getting features and hardware up to androids standard.

Early rumors point to EOS comming with same chip set and screen as 925...nothing wrong with the screen as it's more than matches iPhone 5/6.

We need s800 soc and 2gb ram in a Nokia flagship to be released THIS Year for WP to really take hold.

On that same page your source rates the HTC One even higher.

Lumias aren't bad phones. They're good phones in most ways. They just don't offer anything compelling enough or innovative enough to unseat the bigger players. The magical stability and perfection claimed by eastman doesn't exist and those key features people like me look for are only available on lower end phones of a product line that has zero flagship hardware. Obviously I'm no fan of locked down ecosystems, but even without that flaw the Lumia hardware offers nothing compelling. The notion that having the same ugly metro interface as ones new computer or tablet has will somehow make people want this more is silly. Even if the UI was widely liked, since when do people seek out same experience options? That was an argument for win mobile and it only helped iOS.

On that same page your source rates the HTC One even higher.

Lumias aren't bad phones. They're good phones in most ways. They just don't offer anything compelling enough or innovative enough to unseat the bigger players. The magical stability and perfection claimed by eastman doesn't exist and those key features people like me look for are only available on lower end phones of a product line that has zero flagship hardware. Obviously I'm no fan of locked down ecosystems, but even without that flaw the Lumia hardware offers nothing compelling. The notion that having the same ugly metro interface as ones new computer or tablet has will somehow make people want this more is silly. Even if the UI was widely liked, since when do people seek out same experience options? That was an argument for win mobile and it only helped iOS.

I've just had a go on a lumia 920...wasnt impressed to be honest, was extremely heavy compared to my galaxy s3 including the 4300mah extended battery pack.

I actually thought it was a lumia 900, Nokia and windows phone have a lot of work to do.
You do realise HTC one is a high end smartphone compared to 720 which is a low end midrange type device? Also HTC one is arguably the best HTC phone and according to some people the best android phone ever made full stop.

Its no shame being ranked lower than that phone, windows phone needs to pull it's socks up and get parity with android on core features and specifications.

Goodness. What on Earth were you doing to use over 9000mAh of battery power in one day!?!

As you were at Disney, lots of photographs and video, I assume? If so, don't forget that even many dedicated compact cameras are only specified to take a couple of hundred shots on a single charge. Expecting more from a smartphone than a dedicated camera is capable of would seem a bit too much to hope for?

Na the thing with disney is how big the parks are so your constantly in and out of signal. Then using thier app that gives ylu wait times and everything really drains the battery. Then of xourse lines are boring .9am to midnight in magic kingdom saw me go through those batteries. I took mabye a dozen pictures that day amd up loaded them. My gf had her dslr for the important ones

Ah, right. Never been to any Disney parks as it's really not my thing (though my fiancee is a big fan and is desperate to go!) but I just assumed that they would have good signal throughout the park. Ultimately, though, it's a rogue app which is causing the battery drain!

Its all fun and games until your in a car accident and you can't get help because you had to flash a custom rom to it and something started to go wrong. That's why I prefer to just have a phone that works properly without a need to mess around with it

Fair point. But why should a person who is not very technical and wants something that "just works" buy a Windows Phone over an iPhone that has all the apps their friends have, that has by far the largest selection of accessories and they can go to an Apple store to get help for fairly simplistic tasks.

The only reason i can think of is price, a WP can be had for a much cheaper price and still offer a quality experience. Will that still hold true if/when Apple releases the cheaper plastic iPhone? I guess its a matter of opinion, mine is that Nokias lunch money is about to be taken

You know, by all descriptions of what eastmen wants, he should have an iPhone. (as Jubei more or less points out).

Back