No Olympics thread yet?

The parody begins:

1218732074267.gif

Unbelievably, Britain seem to be doing incredibly well. Currently third or thereabouts in the medal table.

We'll top it in London 2012, of course - just as long as we manage to create about 60 new events in the Cycling, Sailing and Rowing because we get sod all medals anywhere else!

Unbelievably, Britain seem to be doing incredibly well. Currently third or thereabouts in the medal table.

We'll top it in London 2012, of course - just as long as we manage to create about 60 new events in the Cycling, Sailing and Rowing because we get sod all medals anywhere else!

Not bad for a nation who don't use soap. Of course the Australians are losing to us because it's really hard doing all those events with a ball and chain on you leg.....

;)

Yeah, and that's the french, anyways!

Seriously, though: I did do some business over in the UK and a few of the guys I worked with didn't seem to bath regularly, or subscribe to antipersperant/deoderant. This of course leads to a bit of ripeness in the summer.

Of course, it might just be because they were engineers, and it might have to do with the normally cool climate not ingraining the idea "if I don't bath, I'm going to sweat and stink", but I think there's some cultural differences in bathing habits as to what's acceptable.

Bloody hell if we keep on winning gold medals at this rate I reckon Gordon Brown will call a snap General Election after the Olympics to take advantage of the happy times.

Regarding soap: I've worked with many nationalities and those I've found to have man-musk issues are the Brits, Yanks, Italians, French, oh and by some quirk of irony ... the Aussies.

Engineers shouldn't use soap at all by definition. Unless it is carbolic soap held together by rivets.

Go GB, go GB, Go GB!

We are rocking :D

Check out how many medals GB has won in the pool

"It’s been an amazing 8 days of swimming, 23 out of 25 WR’s have been won by athletes wearing Speedo LZR RACER at the Beijing Games (92%).

94% of gold medals at the games have been won in Speedo LZR RACER.

89% of all medals were won in Speedo LZR RACER.

Every event in men’s swimming was won by an athlete wearing the Speedo LZR RACER.

This has been one of the most exciting and possibly THE greatest swimming event of all time and Speedo LZR RACER has played a part in it. Congratulations to all our athletes on their achievements during the Beijing Games"

You don't need soap when wearing a UK designed Speedo LZR RACER suit .. it's far more slippy.

Oh yes.

Jerk that knee much? If it's just a "spectacle" and the professional boxers little more than showmen (as your post implies), then hop into the ring with one. Challenge that false athleticism and show the world your attitude is accurate.

It's a valid question and IMO an unfair situation.

At what point did I say anything negative about professional boxers? My comments were specifically WRT to the Don Kings of the world.

Why is it that professional boxers are not allowed compete in the Olympic Games but professional tennis players are?

I realise the whole 'amateur' thing has long gone but why this difference, I wonder?

There isn't a chance in hell a pro boxer would step in the ring with that computerized scoring.

And with boxing there's too much risk of physical harm to compete for a trophy and less than the hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars that the pro boxers normally receive. It's not like other sports like football or baseball where the athletes will compete for national pride, because they aren't getting their brains beaten in.

At what point did I say anything negative about professional boxers? My comments were specifically WRT to the Don Kings of the world.

Yeah, there's no way any of those promotional companies would let their fighters (investments) go to the Olympics where they fight for peanuts and risk of permanent physical damage. That and Olympic boxing is a complete and utter joke with that computerized scoring, even more so than normal pro boxing.

There isn't a chance in hell a pro boxer would step in the ring with that computerized scoring.

And with boxing there's too much risk of physical harm to compete for a trophy and less than the hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars that the pro boxers normally receive. It's not like other sports like football or baseball where the athletes will compete for national pride, because they aren't getting their brains beaten in.

You might want to watch water polo some time. :D

Every sport actually has their own rules, the rules are not on the IOC. I expect amateur boxing just wants to maintain some distance from the professional boxing shenanigans.

You might want to watch water polo some time. :D

Every sport actually has their own rules, the rules are not on the IOC. I expect amateur boxing just wants to maintain some distance from the professional boxing shenanigans.

Hey one of these amateurs just got disqualified today for biting his opponent.

The computerized scoring system has resulted in a terrible terrible product that has ruined the representation of the sport at the Olympics. I saw a couple fights, and they're honestly the worst fights I've ever seen.

Boxing is a dying sport anyway, but I still like to watch it sometimes. There aren't many compelling names, and diminishing the sport at the Olympics will only make it worse. Boxing used to be a big event and the gold medalists became instant stars. Maybe boxing deserves to die anyway.

Hey look Yahoo has decided the Chinese are cheating

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/be...t/The-REAL-Olympic-medal-count?urn=oly,101537

Then they post up their official Olympic medal standings

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/medals

But, no actually that is not the official standings at all, here it is based on Gold medals, then silver and then bronze, like it has been for the last 40 years.

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/GL/95A/GL0000000.shtml

Yahoo is sadly clinging on to what they think their viewers want rather than reality. Is this some sort of desperate shout to the masses to ward off Microsoft?

Really really sad.

First total medals does mean something to me as it shows breadth of skills. That is pretty irrelevant though as I could not care less what rank the countries are in a list. As far as I am concerned China and the US are both pathetic in the medals count. If you have 1/6th of the worlds population and cannot top it out you are incredibly unathletic. Comparing the >300million of the US to the individual Euro countries really doesn't make the US look the swell either. I mean add up france, britian, germanys, netherlands, all the other European countries.

Still watching the gymnastics competition the judging was crap. The push for getting younger and younger girls is stupid as well. They get higher scores for the same thing b/c the judges think they look nifty or something.

Hey look Yahoo has decided the Chinese are cheating
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...urn=oly,101537
so its just an opinion piece, its not trying to be palmed off as news (i hope :) )

personally rankings of medals both methods are wrong.
A/ the total medal method is laughable
B/ golds first, is better but not perfect eg
TUN - Tunisia 1-0-0
HUN - Hungary 0-4-1

C/ a better method is
bronze = 1 points
silver = 2 points
gold = X points (prolly 4->10points)

then again, coming first is special.
as ppl only really care about the winners eg, tennis grand finals, golf, the various worldcups etc.

good on the the UK doing well, bodes well for them hosting it next time.

If you have 1/6th of the worlds population and cannot top it out you are incredibly unathletic. Comparing the >300million of the US to the individual Euro countries really doesn't make the US look the swell either. I mean add up france, britian, germanys, netherlands, all the other European countries.
You can't add up the individual countries of Europe, and then say "look, its more than the US".

As individual countries, Europe gets more entries into sports, and you can send more top atheletes to the competition.

Not to mention many US athletes with dual-citizenship who opted to enter the olympics under the non-US country.

Indeed. i think the 'serbian' who got beat out by Phelps by .01 seconds was actually an american with serbian parents who decided to compete for Serbia.

That medals reflect mostly on the individuals, and playing statistic games to make a country 'better' or 'worse' doesn't have much merit.

Except if we were to dog on India, who has a huge population, and very few medals. ;)

Back