No more plasma from 2006?

My undergraduate was in chemistry entropy ;) I actually understand all that quite well.

Last time I looked into by reading the information from the source (JACS etc..) was when I was working at cornell 3 years ago, and I figure if they haven't fixed it yet then they are having a pretty hard time accomplishing it.

Sxotty said:
My undergraduate was in chemistry entropy ;) I actually understand all that quite well.
You did? :) That's wonderful!
So why did you desert this most worthy of disciplines? Promises of easy money and loose women, eh?

Last time I looked into by reading the information from the source (JACS etc..) was when I was working at cornell 3 years ago, and I figure if they haven't fixed it yet then they are having a pretty hard time accomplishing it.
Watch my cheeks burn as I have to admit I never was sufficiently interested in the details to dig through the patents and publications on my spare time. It's not the most enjoyable part of science, I have to admit. I'll have to do it now, I guess. Handwaving and saying "It's too complex for your feeble minds, but it has to do with Molecules and Magnetism" doesn't really cut it when there are folks around that can call your bluff. :)

Seriously, it does seem like a problem where you should be able to progress, even if it's decidedly non-trivial. Unless they are they up against fundamental stability problems of the structure, where the excitation energies are too destructive, but then I would have thought they would have given up. (What would be Really Really cool but probably impossible, would be if you could excite the electron in steps and then precipitate a longer fall in energy rather than stairstepping down the same way.) Damn - I really have to plow the databases to see what they are up to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have already heard about Sony concentrating forces in the LCD panels and getting out of plasma. Hope they have a nice LED-LCD for 2006. But for now most people is just waiting anxiouslly for something like the x-series (with wgccf) they sell in Japan.

Entropy said:
You did? :) That's wonderful!
So why did you desert this most worthy of disciplines? Promises of easy money and loose women, eh?
Good question, I just wanted to try something else. Chemistry made me spend so much time running NMRs, and TGA's, and basically all kinds of random tests where I could not physically relate to what was going on. It seemed so distant I kind of wanted something I could understand with a physicalk sense I suppose. Meh, it is good to broaden one's horizon's anyway.

Sed

Has anyone heard any new details about Toshiba/Canon SED re pricing, release, production volumes, timing and sizes since CES? Info out there is pretty sparse...

Back