Plasma still Rules

What's the best way (room lighting, camera settings) to get a good shot of a plasma without blurring the screen? Obviously pausing a blu-ray works, but for SD I have no pause! I can say that its stretched mode doesn't bother me nearly as much as most.

What's the best way (room lighting, camera settings) to get a good shot of a plasma without blurring the screen? Obviously pausing a blu-ray works, but for SD I have no pause! I can say that its stretched mode doesn't bother me nearly as much as most.
Newbie guess, maybe something like:
- minimal room lighting
- no flash
- automatic timer
- some tripod or stable support
- 1/10 with ISO 200 (vary the speed)
- manual focus

Even a small bean bag placed on an ottoman should suffice.

How does CNN look with the ticker at the bottom? Does it have a weird curve at the extremes?

Ty, explain weird curve at the extremes. I have to find out what channel is cnn :)

Well since CNN is in SD (4:3) and you're watching on a 16:9 set, the stretch modes sometimes do ugly things.

On my older NEC PDP, the Anamorphic stretch mode makes people in SD content look like their heads (in the center of the screen) are inflated balloons - not super bad, but definitely off. The Stadium mode does a much better job handling SD content though.

I'm curious if the Ticker at the bottom is straight or curved at the extreme left & right (where the words enter the screen and where they exit).

I completely rearranged the basement where I keep the movies/games set up. Mounted the new plasma to the opposite wall with a larger space and made the whole thing much nicer. Finally fired up some PS3 and Wii games on it (had to break in first) and they look great. Warhawk is a blast if I only weren't so uncoordinated with those controllers. I need keyboard/mouse for FPS!

I switched my 37" LCD for the Panny 50" plasma (the one Consumer's just gave "best ever" to) and wow. Watched The Fountain on Blue Ray and it was simply gorgeous. The downside is that compression effects in HDTV broadcasts seem more obvious (grass on the football field bounces between sharp and fuzzy at times).
Hmmm, interesting. I went from 40" Sony X series LCD to 50" Panna 600 series PDP early this year for main viewing. I've found the Panny far better with mgeg compression artifacts. LCDs, perhaps apart from Sony's 46", look decidedly average. Have you turned down contrast/brightness/saturation to <40% & color modes to normal? Also turn off all the post processing - although I do like one step of NR & sharpening on quasi-HD...

One quirk I've noticed on the Panny is that certain grey/offwhite/green gradients will purple fringe. The kids call it "purple snaking" apparently... I've even noticed it on the 700 series.

Mize said:
ISO 200/400 should do nicely with medium room lighting. You could use exposure compensation if available. You should have a screen pause feature on the remote control. Source doesn't matter. Screen buffer memory keeps it displayed. You should be able to cycle 5-6 screen modes. I prefer 4:3 with black side bars. Turn screen protection on to max...

Last edited by a moderator:
One quirk I've noticed on the Panny is that certain grey/offwhite/green gradients will purple fringe. The kids call it "purple snaking" apparently... I've even noticed it on the 700 series.

Arrrgggghhh! The purple snakes. That was a huge issue when I was looking to get a plasma earlier this year. There were huge threads covering the issue on avforums. One of the reasons I finally went for a Pioneer.

I'm curious as to why DLP doesn't have top marks in motion resolution. Maybe it has to do with deinterlacing on moving objects.

I'm going to guess that the rear projection DLP models tested used the wobulation technique. This causes latentcy because some of the mirrors draw 2 pixels. Front projector DLP's don't use wobulation at all. It's just a cost saving measure put into rear projection displays.

DLP and Plasma both use "pulse width modulation".

I'm going to guess that the rear projection DLP models tested used the wobulation technique. This causes latentcy because some of the mirrors draw 2 pixels. Front projector DLP's don't use wobulation at all. It's just a cost saving measure put into rear projection displays.
Wobulation can make motion look weird or jerky, but it shouldn't reduce resolution during motion. It simply displays half the pixels during one 1/120th of a second and the other half during the next 1/120th of a second.

My guess is that it has to do with picture processing. Deinterlacing, noise reduction, etc.

Arrrgggghhh! The purple snakes. That was a huge issue when I was looking to get a plasma earlier this year. There were huge threads covering the issue on avforums. One of the reasons I finally went for a Pioneer.

Well, it's blue on Pioneers. I've only noticed it twice: Once in Gears of War where there were some white-ish pillars that would have a blue contour when panning rapidly, the other was a test-DVD with white bars moving fast (50Hz) on a black background.

I'm guessing the blue phosfors decay slower than the red and green ones, I'm also guessing that the electronics compensate on normal images, and "undershoot" blue in a pixel if that pixel went full-out blue the previous field. That would explain why I've only seen it with white-on-black situations.

It has only been an issue with 50Hz content, I haven't seen it in movies.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's blue on Pioneers. I've only noticed it twice: Once in Gears of War where there were some white-ish pillars that would have a blue contour when panning rapidly, the other was a test-DVD with white bars moving fast (50Hz) on a black background.

I'm guessing the blue phosfors decay slower than the red and green ones, I'm also guessing that the electronics compensate on normal images, and "undershoot" blue in a pixel if that pixel went full-out blue the previous field. That would explain why I've only seen it with white-on-black situations.

It has only been an issue with 50Hz content, I haven't seen it in movies.

Cheers

I thought it was green tinge on Gears of War? Or was that Panasonics as well?

As you say though, I think it's an inherent problem with the underlying plasma technology. A pretty minor one thank the lord.

I guess it depends on the generation of TV. Using the test-DVD BZB linked to here, the motion test with fast moving white bars on black background has a distinctly blue trailing edge.

Cheers

There's a spectrum of severity of this issue. Thankfully mine's a good one. It's probably worst on West Wing broadcasts & pastel colored walls. Some people have striking artifacts. I decided on the Panny over the Pioneer based on price. I also figured I had the LCD if it didn't work out. So far I'm happy with the performance. The Pioneer is a bit smoother on gradients.

Yep, but the issue is slightly different on Pioneer. It's more of a static fringing, whereas Panasonic looks like a fizzing/dithering artifact on contour transitions. It is very dependent on contrast/brightness settings. I can get my set to do it by reducing contrast to 0... The fix is an upgraded dcontrol board with PDROM x.03 or higher, but some upgrades are causing other problems, chiefly IQ reduction...

Tends to be green tinge on Panasonic & blue or yellow on Pioneer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm3Px1EQUts

There's a spectrum of severity of this issue. Thankfully mine's a good one. It's probably worst on West Wing broadcasts & pastel colored walls. Some people have striking artifacts. I decided on the Panny over the Pioneer based on price. I also figured I had the LCD if it didn't work out. So far I'm happy with the performance. The Pioneer is a bit smoother on gradients.

Tends to be green tinge on Panasonic & blue or yellow on Pioneer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm3Px1EQUts

I'm sure I'd have been happy with the Panasonic to be honest. As ever, it's easy to get too picky when making this kind of choice. The only thing I knew for certain was (at the time) there wasn't an LCD on the market I'd have been able to live with.

Glad I wasn't going mad with the green-tinging as well. :smile:

I know the pruple snakes were particular to certian models, and apparently the green tinge is as well as it doesn't appear on my TH-50PH9UK or my previous TH-42PWD7UY.

Back