No more FX reviews.

Nautis said:
Yeah I agree with russ and frgmaster nvidia is just doing what they needed to do to stay competitive. I think we should just leave them alone.

:devilish:
Uh-oh.....

The Dig quickly jumps behind the sofa he was sitting on and throws on his trusty hardhat and peeks his head over the back of it to watch the ensuing fireworks!

Nautis said:
Yeah I agree with russ and frgmaster nvidia is just doing what they needed to do to stay competitive. I think we should just leave them alone.

:devilish:

Well, staying competitive means selling competitive products. Selling inferior products misrepresented in material ways doesn't have much to do with staying competitive, but rather simply selling merchandise, IMO.

If nVidia was indeed "staying competitive," we wouldn't be having these discussions, there'd have been no FutureMark problems, and all the rest this year...

Is it somehow wrong of customers in a given product market to demand that manufacturers honestly represent those products? I can't see how.

Is it somehow wrong of customers in a given product market to demand that manufacturers honestly represent those products?
Did anybody say that it was wrong of customers to demand honesty?

RussSchultz said:
Did anybody say that it was wrong of customers to demand honesty?

I think it has been characterized that way, yes...The assumption that "nVidia's just doing what it has to," and that "all companies cheat and lie, big deal," and so forth might be interpreted as suggestions that people should have better things to do than to demand honesty from product manufacturers.

RussSchultz said:
gkar1 said:
Its extremely funny to me that they had the opportunity to drive the industry forward by leaps and bounds, but instead chose the path of greed and deceit. I guess i put too much faith in the goodness of the human spirit.

Perhaps I'm reading into it what isn't actually there, and what Gkar1 is REALLY suggesting is that by avoiding their creative marketing, they would have driven the industry forward by leaps and bounds. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, either.

Or, perhaps he was saying that they would have driven the industry forward by leaps and bounds by (perhaps) going out of business by not (overly) aggresively creatively marketting their products.

Or....?

I think what Gkar1 is alluding to is that Nvidia was in a great position a 2-3 years back. They had just taken over the market. 3DFX was on it's last legs, ATI was uncompetative and had a poor rep. Nvidia was king of the hill with a ton of money in the bank and no competitors. DX9 was coming up and looking to be the best, and most significant update to the de-facto gameplaying API. So what do Nvidia do?

They decide to do the minimum. They crank out an incremental design that relies on the old Nvidia favourites of die-shrink for increased clockspeed and faster RAM. I'm sure the increased numbers of chips per wafer and associated profit increases hadn't escaped them either. Sure, they make some marketing noise about "Cinematic Computing" but that's just marketing hype for a couple of generations away. In reality, they do as little as possible to keep their profit margins as high as they can.

In fact, they go as far as designing their DX9 flagship around a DX7/8 game. Why design for Doom 3? It gives great marketing opportunities because ID games/engines sell massively, and are used for benchmarking for years to come.

I'm interpreting GKar1's words as pointing out what Nvidia *could* have done instead. They could have embraced DX9 and HLSL. They could have not tried an end-run around the standard APIs with CG in order to control the market (for marketing purposes). They could have made a clever design that really pushed the market forward into the new "dawn of cinematic rendering". They could have leapt forwards instead of meandering into the next cycle of marketing campaigns. Instead, ATI came up and did the leap, totally taking the wind out of Nvidia's sails.

I guess it just goes to show that without competition, the incumbent sees no reason or need to innovate. Why work hard and produce something new and clever, when you can eek out the old stuff and keep raking in the cash for minimal outlay?

It's that complacent, marketing-led, profit-above-all attitude from Nvidia that has got it into the position it is is now. It's why the fat and lazy Nvidia has just been demolished by the lean and hungry ATI. ATI had a lot to prove, a lot to do to turn around their second-string position. ATI had to do more than just eek out an incremental improvement in order come back from average-land. They had to think clever and out of the box, not just the brute force marketing and incremental clock-speed tweaks that Nvidia has always relied on.

Sure, we can talk about how people don't understand ASIC engineering, and why Nvidia can't magically fix NV3x, but that isn't the point. Nvidia is in the postition it is in *today* because of the choices it took as a company a couple of years back. Nvidia decided to be fat and lazy, and rely on marketing it's way to the top with nothing but "speed is king" in it's box of tricks.

Nvidia still acts like lying, cheating, and PR spin will see it through as it has done in the past. This time it won't. Nvidia has gone too far over the line, it's gone too long without a competative product - long enough for the mainstream to start to see ATI as the top dog and Nvidia as the second string manufacturer.

In that year of lying, Nvidia has blown away it's good name to protect a substandard product that has only just reached the shelves, and probably won't have much of a life six months from now. Was it worth it? Was it a good thing to do, even given that it was *all Nvidia could do* because of the poor choices it made two years ago?

Shouldn't Nvidia change their business and design models in the light of what has happened? Shouldn't they try to innovate in order to match or even attempt to overtake their competitors? Shouldn't they try to preserve their good name when they need it to sell their next products, instead of destroying it on the back of NV3x? Of course they should, but they decided to carry on as they are, and take the "lying and cheating" path instead.

IMO, Nvidia could have done so much more, both 3 years ago when they started designing their DX9 cards, and this year, when they had to deal with not having a competative product. Instead they gave us the minimum, the least - exactly what has made them look so much worse than their competitors and put them in the postition of showing themselves to be liars and cheats.

Why I'm trying to say here, is that nvidia needs to take responsibilty for the position it now finds itself in, and stop blaming others. It's not Valve's fault, or Futuremark's fault, or FRAP's fault, or DX9's fault. Nvidia needs to move forward, stop lying to it's customers, and honestly look towards changing itself so that it makes better products.
When people absolve Nvidia of the responsibility of it's actions today by saying "it's all they can do", it doesn't wash. Nvidia is the only one responsibe for it's current predicament, Nvidia is the only one that chose to lie and cheat instead of being honest about it's products and what they are trying to achieve. Other IHV's hold themselves up to higher standards of behaviour, and we expect them to. We should expect Nvidia to also match those standards of behaviour.

RussSchultz said:
Russ... dictates that there is no foundation for condemnation in the face of realistic evaluation,
Did not. Do not.

It is too bad that the posts with support for this are the ones you selectively apply your "ignore" promise too.

Oh, wait, you did continue to ignore just as you promised. Here is the full quote:

demalion said:
The problem with the objections Russ puts forth is that he doesn't just respond with pointing out realism, he dictates that there is no foundation for condemnation in the face of realistic evaluation, by the expedient of simplifying reality to say any companies reacting to their situation is the same as nVidia reacting to their situation, because "reacting to the situation" can be used for both. Nevermind the company policies that put them there, or the possibility of alternative to their approach and any evaluation of how evident alternatives were. Pointing out realism would have stopped at pointing out the error, and please note the distinction already made in this regard in my prior responses.

I think a lot of this text is pertinent, and makes your reply look sort of silly. Does the text following "by" fit the posts of yours I replied to? I think I've shown that it does. But saying "Did not. Do not." isn't a very effective rebuttal to the support for my statement I actually did provide, is it? :-?

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of NVIDIA marketting ethics.

Ayep, but you maintained that applying those criticisms uniquely to nVidia is unfair because other companies can be criticized to some degree or another, as if the degree of criticism doesn't matter and stipulating that this was because "that's the way it is".

Saying they purposefully CHOSE to engineer a bad product is not one of them.

It is not ludicrous to say that they made the choices that led them to make their bad (in relation to competition) design, and assign them responsibility for that. If someone said that the design being bad and uncompetitive was their "goal" (which is the difference between your phrasing and mine), please note that I'm not going to stand in the way of you disagreeing with them at all, as long as you avoid the issues I already discussed with you.

Saying that they did it so that they could decieve the world is even more ludicrous.

If someone is saying this to you, please thoroughly and specifically correct them, and note that my criticism is not directed at such correction (Not sure how I could be more specific, though that doesn't help if you don't pay attention to the parts that try to make this clear). Note also my own response to this type of assertion on the top of the prior page.

Sorry just having a bit of fun with my last post.

Russ just loves to argue doesnt he?

-

I think most people can tell the diffrence between pr and a blatant and gross misrepresentation of a product. Which is why this is such a big deal now (even master businessman frgmaster backed off that argument a bit.)

I agree though people need to calm down and compose themselves more as its much easier to see the real problems without a bunch of bs covering it up.

As difficult as this whole situation has been it has really shown who has what job and exposed a little goings on behind the scenes. And as disapointed and angry as I am with nvidia I am even more so with the companies who seem to be switching their position. This seems to show who really cares sbout their customers.

I guess it just goes to show that without competition, the incumbent sees no reason or need to innovate. Why work hard and produce something new and clever, when you can eek out the old stuff and keep raking in the cash for minimal outlay?

Well, it could technically be argued that ATI is currently somewhat milking the R300 core too. :) Of course, the R360 could bring substantial improvements to the table, but I suppose it wouldn't be marketed as Radeon 9800XT if it were the case...

I'm not defending Nvidia's design plan or whatever (I've been arguing for a few years now that always relying on newer exotic memory and smaller process was bound to fail at some point in time), but with R&D costs and ASIC tuning costs rising for each new design (I remember something to this extent in an ATI interview, where the rep said that the cost to enter the graphical market was increasing a lot with each DX generation), it's only a matter of time before doing a completely new core each year or year and a half becomes a sure way to lose money. Perhaps the enthusiasts crowd has been spoiled in the past years, and the GPU race will slow in the future ? Time will tell.

Corwin you are right too ATI is milking the r300 core, but I don't really care and I don;t think anyone else does either. They just like to use a similar statement to bash Nvidia because they like too.

Our CPU's dont change constantly, and no one cares as long as they get faster. GPU's can do the same for all I am concerned which is basically what they are doing now.

CorwinB said:

Well, it could technically be argued that ATI is currently somewhat milking the R300 core too. :) Of course, the R360 could bring substantial improvements to the table, but I suppose it wouldn't be marketed as Radeon 9800XT if it were the case...

I'd agree, but its only been here a year, and about 18 months till R420 arrives. I don't consider that too bad considering how far ahead ATI are. Obviously I don't expect giant leaps every five minutes, but leaps like R300 (and if rumours are to be belived, R420) every 18 months sounds good to me. ;)

When you look back at what Nvidia have done over the last few years, and episodes like GForce 4 MX, I think that's a better example of millking an architechture to the max.

@Demalion, i think you should re-read what Russ said and to what he was answering.

Btw, quoting a dictionnary, doesn't adequate with being right. The same word has different meaning at different places and times...

demalion said:
you maintained that applying those criticisms uniquely to nVidia is unfair because other companies can be criticized to some degree or another, as if the degree of criticism doesn't matter and stipulating that this was because "that's the way it is".
Really? And where did I say that?

Oh, I didn't.

If you note the development of the conversation:

Gkar1: They chose to not make a good product, and instead lied about the bad one they decided to make.
Me; No they didn't. They made a bad product and are stuck trying to sell it.
Somebody else: That's a fucked up attitude
Me: Get over it. Its just how it works. Everybody seems to do it. But, that wasn't the point. The point was that Gkar1's assertation is crazy.

Which then devolved into me being an apologist, and you telling me how I avoid the issues, can't understand the written language, and how I simply ignore what you're saying. Oh, and I apparently like to argue.

You said:
Me said:
Saying they purposefully CHOSE to engineer a bad product is not one of them.
It is not ludicrous to say that they made the choices that led them to make their bad (in relation to competition) design, and assign them responsibility for that.
I don't know about you, but there's a world of difference in my lexical world between what I'm talking about and what you are. You're saying they made choices that ended up with a bad design(which I haven't disagreed with--its apparent the design isn't the best), I'm saying that Gkar seems to be asserting they were presented with a moral choice at the planning stage: do a good job, or sell a crappy one because they're greedy and deceitful.

You said:
If someone is saying this to you, please thoroughly and specifically correct them, and note that my criticism is not directed at such correction

Well, yes, I think they were saying that. And yes, I think I was thoroughly and specifically correcting them. So I have no clue as to why you're arguing with me.

But please, we're only on page 4. Certainly we can make it to 8 or so before running out of steam.

RussSchultz said:
But please, we're only on page 4. Certainly we can make it to 8 or so before running out of steam.

Nvidia reminds me a lot of Nazi Germany.

<googling>

Ah, crap. Godwin's Law doesn't apply if you intentionally invoke it. Guess we'll carry on then.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
I'd agree, but its only been here a year, and about 18 months till R420 arrives. I don't consider that too bad considering how far ahead ATI are. Obviously I don't expect giant leaps every five minutes, but leaps like R300 (and if rumours are to be belived, R420) every 18 months sounds good to me. ;)

When you look back at what Nvidia have done over the last few years, and episodes like GForce 4 MX, I think that's a better example of millking an architechture to the max.

Yes, nVidia really fouled up the works for everybody a few years ago when it announced its "6-month product cycle" in its bid to unseat 3dfx by trying to push them into an "arm's race" that depended on manufacturing process advancements and 3rd-party ram improvement adoption--to at the same time de-emphasize architectural advancements and hardware feature support (unless it was a feature nVidia could shoehorn into its chips between process changes--like more TMU's or hardware T&L, etc.)

It got them where they wanted to be in the short term but IMO set them up royally for the ATi coup last year at the same time. When you really look at it nVidia milked nv10 for darn near three years, pretty much. That's why the relative poverty of advanced feature support in nV3x should not be surprising, IMO. nVidia had gotten way too comfortable with the nV10 architecture, and has been less than successful in leaving it behind.

I really think that 18 months is a decent span of time between new architectures. It means, for one thing, that we can expect much more substantial changes between generations, and also allows the IHVs enough time to drive their previous high-end architectures down into the lower market segments. ~18 months is sane--6 months is insane--as I said and believed years ago when nVidia announced this marketing initiative. The only way 6-month cycles can ever work is through milking, milking, and milking...and change is slow and incremental and rarely ever approaches a "paradigm shift" of the type that is needed every so often to jog the industry out of complacency and into real progress.

Although these windows of opportunity exist in every area of the industry, because it's a huge market, the number of companies brave and bright enough to take advantage of them is small. But these events do occur, which is heartening and indicates the strength of the market. AMD precipitated a paradigm shift in the x86 cpu market a few years ago with Athlon, and the x86 cpu market changed fundamentally for the better. Now, ATi has done it in the 3d sector. I can't help it--I'm a sucker for come-from-behind stories...they are my favorites...:)

We've covered the Russ Schultz "your posts didn't exist" practiuce before, even in this thread, so if you think a query isn't answered, consider that the answer might be in the body of text I've mentioned you've omitted from your consideration a few times now.

Let's cover a bit of your redefinition of conversation discussion that goes along with that behaviort, since my conversation with you hasn't touched on it specifically before.

RussSchultz said:
If you note the development of the conversation:

Gkar1: They chose to not make a good product, and instead lied about the bad one they decided to make.

Well, what was initially said was:
"Its extremely funny to me that they had the opportunity to drive the industry forward by leaps and bounds, but instead chose the path of greed and deceit. I guess i put too much faith in the goodness of the human spirit."

Do you have a standard of adherence to what people actually say? I find it consistently absent, or consisting of disappointing criteria.

AFAICS, there is resemblence in the actual text to my phrasing in the previous post, and divergence from yours. Examples: as I covered for my phrasing, the difference in phrasing is that gkar's phrasing accuses them of choosing badly, and demonstrating greed and deceit, not choosing to make a bad product for the opportunity to deceive with it; also, of failing to succeed and lead technology forward, not intending to fail to lead technology forward in order to enact some sort of malevolence in the world.

RussSchultz said:
Saying they purposefully CHOSE to engineer a bad product is not one of them. Saying that they did it so that they could decieve the world is even more ludicrous.

To support your propositions: How does "greed and deceit" or any part of this translate into proposing spending money on chip design with the goal of making it bad, then spending money on marketing so they'd have to deceive people to sell it? That seems to contradict the concept of greed being proposed. Oh, it would be deceitful, but who would propose that two things are the same because you can use a common term to describe them? :-?

As I said, I have full confidence in your ability to (selectively) ignore me again (while convenient), but have you stopped to consider that you don't have to instill this confidence so thoroughly?

Given my past discussions with you, my opinion:
What it would seem is that the statements present do not translate into what you propose, but you didn't let that stop you from rephrasing their statements without regard to making sense so you could go ahead and disagree with it, apparently (as far as I can determine based on many conversations with you) because pointing out that nVidia's situation and reaction was understandable and just "the way things were" in your opinion wasn't enough, and you had to go further and provide a pretext to deride people universally for disagreeing with that opinion.

But, hey, I'll let you get to it, as I said: if it does translate into that, you go ahead and establish that, and then go and attack the viewpoint you've proposed without the practice of bringing in other companies and discussing them as examples of why cheating and lying is "how it is" as you did to cause me to reply. Though there is quite a bit of text you "happened to" exclude in your characterization of your own statements, it will still be there for people to read in the posts I replied to and quoted (though you appear to remain unable to read it for some reason) and I at least wouldn't have to witness you asking me to type it up again.

I learned a new word of a guy named Rugor over at EB that I'm in love with now: Nvazis!

No point, just sharing me new word-o-the-day. 8)

O.K. I just watched my School House Rocks DVD so I should be ready for this. Lets remove all the fluff.
------------------------------------------- they had the opportunity to ----------------------------------------------------, but instead chose --------------------------------------------------------------.
Change the word "had" to "missed" and the replace "chose" to "ended up on" and we could all be friends again. ;)

Demalion, for all of your high-falutin verbal pontificating, you seem to miss the plain english reading of a simple statement.

Please read Nelg's post for the basic sentence construction of Gkar1's post. He's cut out all the extraneous words and left the simple structure there for you to read.

Its pretty cut and dry (beyond doing word replacement like Nelg is); its literal meaning is in your face like the humidity in Houston: nvidia, by concious choice, passed on making good technology and instead chose a path of deceit.

Perhaps you need a little bit of grammar tutoring?

The use of this word, instead, suggests that the first portion (before the comma, mind you) of this sentence was one possibility of a bifurcated decision. The other option being the portion of the sentence after the comma.

That the second portion of the sentence used the word chose suggests that there was, umm...a choice made. We can only assume the choice was between the two options identified by the grammer, punctuation, and the useage of the word instead.

Given that we have two possibilities, and a choice made between them, has led me to believe that Gkar1 is asserting that NVIDIA had before them: "the opportunity to drive the industry forward by leaps and bounds" and " the path of greed and deceit" and purposefully selected one of them as their plan of action, and purposefully rejected one of them as their plan of action.

So, where again am I deviating from the "standard of adherence to what people actually say"?

Face it, Demalion. You thought in my second response I was being aggressive toward you, when in actuallity I was addressing GraphicViolence. You struck back, and are now faced with either admitting that you're wrong (quelle horreur!), or overpowering me with your verbal onslaught hoping nobody actually reads what you write.

And people say I like to argue?

You're right about a few things, though. Your repetitive assertations that I ignore you should be a clue as to what. You're onto me, I won't deny.

Back