Nintendo's future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
london-boy said:
IIn the meantime Sony and MS will flash out their numbers, be it FLOP ratings to sales figures, to software sales of old rehashed games which still sell in the million cause people don't know any better.

It's too easy to generalise without going into the root of the problem.

See this is the main problem I'm talking about here. I flash numbers because Nintendo (and now even you) are saying stuff like "people don't know any better so they keep spening billions on games that are getting more boring."

Question. Why do you (you usually don't seem to say stuff like this) and Nintendo continue to downplay the greatness of games today? Why talk as if games like Socom, Kamanari Damancy, SOTC, Halo, GTA series, etc are old rehashed games? Those type of games were unheard of last gen. The online componet to Socom, Rachet and Clank, and Halo type games have expanded the way we play videogames today.

To me if I can play a great FPS like Halo2 against people around the country (and I think the world) then there will never be a need for arcades to come back full force like they were in the eighties and early ninties. There are so so so many great games with different styles of play that makes that old "these are rehashed games" arguement sound just foolish.

Disclaimer: I know that what you typed was your personal opinion, but I just had to point out that games have changed alot since the PSone and N64 days. We can get that same GoldenEye on the N64 expirence over the internet against players all over the world now.

Magnum PI said:
If nintendo go software, they will loose their creative freedom.

The console maker decide what it released on their console, so nintendo would depend on them agreeing their titles. They wouldn't be able to release some titles, or would have to modify their games.
I don't see Sony as stifling development or squishing ideas. All sorts have made their way onto PS2. Indeed why prevent any game being published to a console? The developer has to pay you money whether it sells or not, so let them release '3D virtual Lawnmower Simulator' on your console and let the market decide whether it's a game they want or not. It's more the publishers that dictate what content is allowed, and if Nintendo published their own software they'd have no-one to answer to but themselves. And their fans. And their shareholders. And perhaps God. But apart from those people, they'd have no-one to answer to.

Powderkeg said:
I don't think Nintendo games are bad at all. I just think their variety in genres and game types is very limited, and that is bad because it excludes gamers.

a sample of nintendo titles for GC/DS:

mario paper
mario kart
metroid prime
SSBM
zelda[FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial,geneva,sans serif]
kirby : canvas curse
[/FONT]donkey konga
pac'n'roll
pikmin
brain flex
nintendogs
1080 : avalanche
animal crossing
f-zero
mario tennis

Yes some genres are not covered, but to claim a very limited variety in game genre and game types ? Oh well...

Magnum PI said:
a sample of nintendo titles for GC/DS:

mario paper
mario kart
metroid prime
SSBM
zelda[FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial,geneva,sans serif]
kirby : canvas curse
[/FONT]donkey konga
pac'n'roll
pikmin
brain flex
nintendogs
1080 : avalanche
animal crossing
f-zero
mario tennis

Yes some genres are not covered, but to claim a very limited variety in game genre and game types ? Oh well...

14 whole games? Wow. That's awesome. Assuming that every gamer on earth is happy with just those 14 games I guess.

:rolleyes:

Compare the number of GCN RPG's to the PS2. Compare the number of GCN racers to either the Xbox or PS2. Compare the number of GCN FPS's to the Xbox.

ONE game from a genre is not acceptable. Even if the game is great, it's not going to keep people happy for 5 years. You've got to have dozens, even hundreds for each genre.

Powderkeg said:
14 whole games?

Do you really need me to explain you the meaning of the word "sample" ?

Compare the number of GCN RPG's to the PS2. Compare the number of GCN racers to either the Xbox or PS2. Compare the number of GCN FPS's to the Xbox.

if could do it but it would be OOT, we were discussing about the supposed lack of variety among games published by Nintendo. not about the variety of GCN library..

and the fact is that nintendo don't have to be ashamed by the variety of the games it publishes as you can't find such a veriety of types in genre in a lot of publisher's library.

Magnum PI said:
if could do it but it would be OOT, we were discussing about the supposed lack of variety among games published by Nintendo. not about the variety of GCN library..

Funny, I thought we were discussing Nintendo's business model, which includes 3rd party support.

and the fact is that nintendo don't have to be ashamed by the variety of the games it publishes as you can't find such a veriety of types in genre in a lot of publisher's library.

I don't disagree. The problem isn't their own game library, the problem is that it's getting to the point where there own games are the only ones that sell on their systems.

If only 20% of PS2 games are good the PS2 has more good games than the GCN has games. To a casual gamer, the PS2 is the better buy because it has more good games, and by sheer numbers of it's total library, more great games.

Who cares about any of that crap, Powderkeg? No one but you, and Nintendo isn't going to win you over anyway. Frankly I'm glad they aren't trying to, because nobody needs "fans" like you. Nintendo is profitable. Nintendo is good at what they do. If you don't like what they do, fine, but don't try to tell the rest of us that they are going to fail just because you don't like their games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back