Nintendo Switch Technical discussion [SOC = Tegra X1]

The Wii was what, a 12 Gflop console with 88 MB of memory with a single core CPU clocking at 750Mhz. Even with the lower resolution on Wii, its not like it was native 720p on 360/PS3, they were typically running 600p. A 2.5x difference in pixel count. Wii was a totally different animal than the 360/PS3, and because sales potential was there, they dedicated a 30+ man team at Treyarch to do the Wii ports. Framerate test on Youtue showed a pretty solid 30fps too. The performance difference between Switch and the other consoles is large, not saying its not, but its nothing compared to what they were dealing with on Wii. Again, follow the $$$.

Most games do not have the sales potential on Nintendo platforms to dedicate any significant resources. Its going to be a dollars and cents thing. I expect EA will choose to pass on most of their lineup. Games like Fifa and Madden and perhaps even Garden Warfare are what I see as likely candidates. COD on Switch is almost a given at this point. The series is on a decline, and they know they have been able to carve out a niche audience on the Wii, so I totally expect it to show up later this year.

I don't think any ps4/xbone big budget title is a given, they have to port it down to hand held mode, which only 200 gflops, and it's a nintendo console. i wonder if they will even bother, i hope we get at least one port of a big aaa title, but i have a feeling they won't bother.

The Wii was what, a 12 Gflop console with 88 MB of memory with a single core CPU clocking at 750Mhz.

I think you have a very unrealistic expectation on how the Switch compares to the other consoles.

11 GFLOPs was the Gamecube's Flipper. Wii was 50% over that, so 16.5 GFLOPs. Xenos was 240 GFLOPs.
240/16.5 = 15.5
Switch's handheld mode is 195GFLOPs. You could think the Switch is a lot closer to its contemporaries because it uses an equally modern GPU architecture and the throughput difference compared to e.g. the Xbone is only 1350/195 = ~6.9..
Except the Wii released within a year of the other two consoles. The Switch released in 2017 while PS4Bone released in 2013. The Switch actually released after PS4's mid-life update, the PS4 Pro with 4.3 TFLOPs (difference of 4300 / 195 = 22.1), and it'll release in the same year as Scorpio which will raise the bar even further (>6000/196 = >30).

What you're taking as a somewhat "worse case comparison" are 3.5 year-old systems that have been or are about to be upgraded. They're not "worse case" at all. Come this next holiday season, the PS4 Slim and Xbone S will probably be sold as the low-performing entry-level versions of the "full console experience" offered by PS4 Pro and Scorpio.
The previous development efforts port games to PS360 will probably transition to porting them to 2013's PS4Bone, with most dev efforts and all marketing media exclusively targeting PS4 Pro and Scorpio (this one is a sure thing, because prettier pictures sell better).
And this will just put the Switch in the same place as all Nintendo consoles released within the past 16 years, with the exact same possible scenarios. Either it:
1 - Becomes a social phenomenon and sells so many consoles that publishers consider making ports that are actually whole games almost made from scratch to accommodate the much lower specs (i.e. what happened with the Wii)
2 - Is largely ignored by third-parties, except for the indie titles that you could otherwise buy in $1 bundles. And forward-ported EA Sports games with updated rosters.

Except the Wii released within a year of the other two consoles.
This is a pointless. It doesn't change the fact that the current targets are Xbone/PS4 base models. The Switch is much closer to these consoles than Wii was.

The Switch actually released after PS4's mid-life update, the PS4 Pro with 4.3 TFLOPs (difference of 4300 / 195 = 22.1)

Irrelevant for the reasons above. The PS4 Pro is not overtaking the base PS4 in sales any time soon, and thus will be treated as a 4K version of the base PS4. Games will not target PS4 Pro specs as long as PS4 base model continues to significantly outsell it.

Your moving the goal post quite a bit. Before you were arguing that the Switch couldn't handle PS4/Xbone ports, and now your moving on to the niche PS4 Pro spec as the new metric.

Come this next holiday season, the PS4 Slim and Xbone S will probably be sold as the low-performing entry-level versions of the "full console experience" offered by PS4 Pro and Scorpio.

They will sell the base models as the value offering, and I can guarantee you the cheaper models will continue to outsell the more expensive offerings. WTF is the "full console experience"? Was Xbox giving the full console experience while the PS2 was crushing it? Exactly what will these consoles offer that the base models do not? 4K? Who cares, adoption rate of 4K TV's is still low. A bunch of exclusives? No way will developers target a mid generation console when the PS4 is killing it. The bottom line is the base PS4/Xbone will be the target spec for a few more years. Until the market leader does a hard reset, the PS4 specifically will be the target console.

The PS4 Pro is not overtaking the base PS4 in sales any time soon, and thus will be treated as a 4K version of the base PS4.
No, it won't.
Until the year ends, you'll most probably stop seeing any advert using regular PS4 footage. I even doubt many new adverts recorded post-Pro released are using footage from the old PS4.

Of course Sony couldn't formally present the Pro as a replacement to PS4 back in November because that would have alienated their customer base (though Microsoft has been a lot more straightforward about this regarding Scorpio). Plus, they also launched a brand new PSVR "ecossystem" so they had to very carefully distribute their marketing efforts.
But as the higher-end prices go down, get into deals with bundled games, 4K TV sets get to closer price parity with 1080p sets and pretty much all marketing footage from the AAA exclusives say "gameplay recorded from PS4 Pro / Scorpio", the mid-cycle refreshes will eventually take the larger chunk of sales. Probably during 2018, already.

They will sell the base models as the value offering, and I can guarantee you the cheaper models will continue to outsell the more expensive offerings.
Lol, no you can't.
When some very probable 10/7nm shrinks come, there will be little incentive to even keep making the SoCs with 2013's performance targets.
At least not for home consoles. If/when Microsoft and/or Sony decide to put those performance targets into handheld consoles, that's when you should really worry about Nintendo.

Of course Sony couldn't formally present the Pro as a replacement to PS4 back in November because that would have alienated their customer base

Sorry, but no. Sony isn't marketing the PS4 Pro as a PS5 because its nothing more than a mid gen console that brings the ability to render games at 4k (sort of) and accommodate the PSVR. Is anyone still treating VR as a thing? Seems like a gimmick that came and went quickly. PS4 Pro is not a PS5, and your insinuating that it is. If you think that, you will be proven wrong. The worst part is if you were to be right, then Sony is totally alienating the 55+ million people who bought a PS4 over the last 3.5 years. Most people expect to get more than a few years from a console before being forced to upgrade.

If Scorpio is Microsoft doing a hard reset and starting a new generation, then that is much different than PS4 Pro. However, as long as PS4 sales outpace Xbox by a large margin, PS4 will remain the target spec.

Dye shrinks also make the base models less expensive, and we would see a $199 PS4 and Xbox One S within a year. Those consoles aren't going anywhere. Father time will have to decide who is right I suppose.

Sony isn't marketing the PS4 Pro as a PS5 because its nothing more than a mid gen console that brings the ability to render games at 4k (sort of) and accommodate the PSVR.
You don't have a PS4 Pro and you obviously don't know what it does in the latest games, or even the older games with boost mode. Here, have a look:
http://neogaf.site/forum/showthread.php?t=1324251
There are even Pro-specific upgrades for people playing games on 1080p TVs.

Is anyone still treating VR as a thing? Seems like a gimmick that came and went quickly.
Yes, VR is still a thing, it'll be exponentially bigger in 2017 and yes, Nintendo will miss it completely.
I mean, maybe they'll launch a VR Boy 2 in 2020 with lots of gimmicks and carrying with some smartphone chip from 2018, but by then the big players will have pretty much been established.

The worst part is if you were to be right, then Sony is totally alienating the 55+ million people who bought a PS4 over the last 3.5 years. Most people expect to get more than a few years from a console before being forced to upgrade.
You seem to be mixing marketing and development focus with compatibility.
They're not alienating anyone because no one will be forced to upgrade. Compatibility is assured. 2013 console owners will play all game releases well into 2019+, which is already a lot more than what 2001 console owners could say about their devices.

Dye shrinks also make the base models less expensive, and we would see a $199 PS4 and Xbox One S within a year.
The 500GB Xbone S sold for $229 with a bundled game during the last holiday season. You think it'll take one year (after a die shrink) to reach $199?!
You're completely out of the loop.

You don't have a PS4 Pro and you obviously don't know what it does in the latest games, or even the older games with boost mode. Here, have a look:
http://neogaf.site/forum/showthread.php?t=1324251
There are even Pro-specific upgrades for people playing games on 1080p TVs.

Yes, VR is still a thing, it'll be exponentially bigger in 2017 and yes, Nintendo will miss it completely.
I mean, maybe they'll launch a VR Boy 2 in 2020 with lots of gimmicks and carrying with some smartphone chip from 2018, but by then the big players will have pretty much been established.

You seem to be mixing marketing and development focus with compatibility.
They're not alienating anyone because no one will be forced to upgrade. Compatibility is assured. 2013 console owners will play all game releases well into 2019+, which is already a lot more than what 2001 console owners could say about their devices.

The 500GB Xbone S sold for $229 with a bundled game during the last holiday season. You think it'll take one year (after a die shrink) to reach $199?!
You're completely out of the loop.
No, I am familiar with boost mode on Pro. I do not have a Pro, but you not having a Switch doesn't stop you from commenting on it.

VR is so niche it's hilarious. So it will sell twice as many units as last year......So like 3 million units? That's probably generous.

Holliday bundles are not relevant. Manufactures slash margins for the big Holliday push. Xbox One S currently sits at $299, so yes, it will be 2018 before the msrp is $199. An item being on sale is not the same as a price drop.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

No, I am familiar with boost mode on Pro.
Maybe.
But judging from your previous statements, you're just not familiar with anything else.

VR is so niche it's hilarious. So it will sell twice as many units as last year......So like 3 million units? That's probably generous.
I wonder if this opinion is rational or just wishful because NIntendo is out of it...

Holliday bundles are not relevant.
Holiday sales represent 20% of the whole US market. Numbers for highly discounted items such as consoles with game bundles are definitely a lot higher but even if they weren't, claiming 20% is not relevant is just unwise.

Xbox One S currently sits at $299, so yes, it will be 2018 before the msrp is $199.
Like I said, you're completely out of the loop.

Maybe.
But judging from your previous statements, you're just not familiar with anything else.
I have watched the videos on DF concerning the Pro. It offers some incremental upgrades over the base model to preexisting games, and game with full Pro support generally use the extra capabilities to increase resolution and or framerate.

I wonder if this opinion is rational or just wishful because NIntendo is out of it...

Nope, couldn't care less. If I was interested on VR I would play on PC. PlayStation VR has apparently sold about a million units. Not great, sounds niche to me.

Holiday sales represent 20% of the whole US market. Numbers for highly discounted items such as consoles with game bundles are definitely a lot higher but even if they weren't, claiming 20% is not relevant is just unwise.

Of course the sales are relevant, manufactures cut the margins in order to increase market share. Its the price for November/December that isn't relevant. For the rest of the year, the consoles are a much higher price.

Not really, Xbox One S retails between $249-$349 depending on the model you choose. the 500GB Battlefield One model is $299.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xbox-one/xbox-one-consoles/pcmcat303600050004.c?id=pcmcat303600050004

The numbers are simply not on your side friend.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/ps4-pr...g-tepid-response-high-spec-playstation-578835

Sony not disclosing what the figures are for the Pro model indicate they are not great. Media Create shows Pro getting outsold 5 to 1 in Japan on a weekly basis. Odds are this is indicative of world wide sales. Base PS4 outsells the Pro by a significant margin. There are no "facts" that in any way suggest we are seeing a sudden trend in which Pro becomes the popular choice with consumers.

Your last link leads to a $300 console... I guess that's how long it took for the promotion to end. The first link has 5 units left, I give it <24h before the promotion is gone.
From the 3 links I put there, what matters is the one that stopped working. LOL, OK.

So if I come here 24 hours from now with 3 working links to xbone s consoles selling for ~$250 with a game, you'll admit how wrong you were?

Or you can save me the trouble and just admit you'll deny the reality, no matter how many links to $250 consoles with a bundled game I get in here.

The Pro is for people that have 4k TVs, or extra money. All of the games coming out will be based around the base model, while some having upgrades for the pro. It'll probably be the same with Scorpio. As far as I'm aware, the base model is still stomping the Pro model.

This isn't a new generation, this is Sony's New 3DS XL equivalent.

From the 3 links I put there, what matters is the one that stopped working. LOL, OK.

So if I come here 24 hours from now with 3 working links to xbone s consoles selling for ~$250 with a game, you'll admit how wrong you were?

Or you can save me the trouble and just admit you'll deny the reality, no matter how many links to $250 consoles with a bundled game I get in here.

In all good fun, you have to admit that one of your links showing a $299 price is kind of funny. Regardless, there is a range of prices for the Xbox One S, and the only $249 model I am seeing is the Minecraft bundle. Makes sense since Microsoft owns the IP, unlike the $299 Battlefield bundle where they will be paying EA for the game. The range is $249-349, so we were both right in a way.

Fell free. IF that happens, you'll just prove that another bundle got a discount tho.

Also it's very funny how you call it "stopped working" when reality is that the discount run out, which tends to happen a lot.

I'm not denying any reality, you're the one doing it despite 2 out 3 of your own links clearly show that the price is $300 as Goodtwin said. BTW I wonder if you even realized I'm a different person, because your wording on the post looks like you're too mad to even notice the difference.

Well kill me, because I have to do it one last time. :oops:

There's a lesson that needs to be learned about amazon promotions.

The first link has 5 units left, I give it <24h before the promotion is gone.

And a mere 15h later where does that link take us? To a new promotion of the same bundle, only now it's priced $282 (read not $250) with just 12 units left in stock. Won't last long either, so what will replace it next is anyone's guess.

Back