Nintendo Switch Tech Speculation discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo being Nintendo I don't think they will use standard SD cards, if it's memory cards. If Switch supports memory cards, there will be special Switch memory cards with very average specs but at least a 100% premium over comparable SD cards.

What? You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. The Nintendo New 3DS uses bog standard industry micro SD cards with UHS-I support. Nothing special. No extra cost. You can buy them as slow or as fast as you want them to be. The only thing is, if you buy a card that is too slow, it can cause problems if the 3DS cannot load assets from it quickly enough. That, however, is only a problem with extremely slow micro SD cards.

I don't see any reason Nintendo would change how they've operated in the past. Heck even my Wii uses bog standard industry SD cards.

This isn't Sony we're talking about with their proprietary memory card support in their handheld. Has that changed yet? Or do they still require special memory cards?

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
There's a rumor around saying it's limited to 128GB of storage expansion, which doesn't make any sense technically (it would have to be SDXC to support 128GB, so it would naturally support up to the 2TB addressing of SDXC).

It could be some very artificial limitation. Maybe the number of free blocks had too many digits and didn't fit the menu layout. Maybe a nintendo block will be some odd capacity like 13.1MB, leading to a limit of 9,999 nintendo blocks, and ultimately a 128GB storage limit.

I'm only half-joking. :runaway:

Supported or physically limited? If I were to guess, that rumor is based off what Nintendo "supports." Just like the New 3DS only "supports" microSD of 5 GB or larger. I believe when it first launched the supported size was only 8 or 16 GB, however everyone I know, including myself had no problems using 64 GB microSD cards. I'm guessing due to that they changed the wording on their support site to indicate that there's no actual upper limit. However, there's a link to a page with cards that have been tested. And they've only bothered to test a few cards up to 32 GB in size.

Regards,
SB

I might be out of the loop, but why is everyone assuming the Switch cartridges need to have a smaller capacity than blu-ray discs?

Class U1 64GB MicroSDs are cheap as chips nowadays.The NAND itself is probably going for a couple of dollars out of the factory.

I might be out of the loop, but why is everyone assuming the Switch cartridges need to have a smaller capacity than blu-ray discs?

Class U1 64GB MicroSDs are cheap as chips nowadays.The NAND itself is probably going for a couple of dollars out of the factory.

Because looking at the hardware manufacturer product lineup who produces the carts lists them as having lower capacity. This was looked at when the news of them landing a contract with Nintendo broke many months ago.

Macronix.
However there is nothing that prevents them from supplying cartridges beyond 16GB. I think that is all negative spin from a rumour that said that the "standard cartridge capacity" would be 16GB.

I just went to look at Macronix's website and it seems most of their ROM products use NAND memory. They do have Mask ROM but it seems to be an afterthought right not, as the largest capacity they have for it each IC is 16MBytes.
Their portfolio seems really outdated when compared to e.g. Samsung, though. Perhaps the english webpage just hasn't been updated in a while.

Macronix.
However there is nothing that prevents them from supplying cartridges beyond 16GB. I think that is all negative spin from a rumour that said that the "standard cartridge capacity" would be 16GB.

Yep, but cost is certainly something to consider. I would think that Nintendo cut a deal with Macronix for a huge supply of a given capacity, in this case presumably 16GB is the target capacity for the negotiated price. If a publishers demands a larger capacity cartridge, Nintendo could certainly accommodate, but the price per cartridge could be significantly higher per cartridge. For example, Nintendo may have negotiated a deal where each 16GB cartridge will cost $2 each, and if a publisher needs a 32GB cartridge, the price could be $6, more than double because the negotiated deal was based on the size that would be the bulk of their orders. My prices are just pulled out of my but, anyone know what wholesale cost looks like for this type of memory? Obviously its going to be a lot more than the pennies it takes to manufacture disk, but just how expensive would 16GB cartridges be these days?

Yep, but cost is certainly something to consider. I would think that Nintendo cut a deal with Macronix for a huge supply of a given capacity, in this case presumably 16GB is the target capacity for the negotiated price. If a publishers demands a larger capacity cartridge, Nintendo could certainly accommodate, but the price per cartridge could be significantly higher per cartridge. For example, Nintendo may have negotiated a deal where each 16GB cartridge will cost $2 each, and if a publisher needs a 32GB cartridge, the price could be $6, more than double because the negotiated deal was based on the size that would be the bulk of their orders. My prices are just pulled out of my but, anyone know what wholesale cost looks like for this type of memory? Obviously its going to be a lot more than the pennies it takes to manufacture disk, but just how expensive would 16GB cartridges be these days?
I would assume that Nintendo would use Macronix' NAND XtraROM. It's fast, cheap, and secure.
I obviously don't know what Nintendo will pay on orders of hundreds of millions, but - contract pricing for 16GB NAND memory cards go from $3.00 to an average $3.70 (source DRAMexchange). Nintendo volumes are huge, and digitimes ran a newsblurb a while ago specifying how Macronix invested to secure advanced lithography capacity.
If I were to guess, Nintendo would get a good deal compared to smaller lot pricing, offset a bit by the nice XtraROM features.
I think yout butt produces numbers in the right ballpark for the standard capacity. :D

RE cartridges, I was just thinking the other day how there was an era in Video Games I lived through where it seemed the pack in game was going the way of the Dodo. Sega and Nintendo would release so called core systems Genesis/SNES with 1 controller and no game at a bare bones price, vs the formerly standard 2 controllers and pack in game, and these "core" systems soon dominated the marketplace.

Now we have so much bundled software, it's almost impossible to buy a system without one or more software titles bundled. IE for Xbox, Minecraft Bundle, Gears 4 bundle, BF1 bundle...of course often you even get 2 or more titles.

And I realized the main reason things changed, is because back in SNES/Genesis day pack in games actually had a physical cost! With the advent of CD's and even more, digital download codes, it became simple to throw in that software...

Where I lived one controller was normal but packed in games were pretty standard. I remember the SNES having the super mario and donkey kong pack (I had that one! loved it), probably others as well but I guess I was only about 9 years old when I got it so I don't remember all that well but all the other kids I knew had a SNES with a packed in game.

BTW at that age that era of video games was really awesome. Spent sooo much time playing Donkey Kong and later tons of time playing Dungeon Keeper on Win95 at a friends pace as well. I remember how we went to the store together to pick out a game for his birthday and we picked Dungeon Keeper. Never beat the game though.

Not being a kid anymore games these days feel a lot less grand.

I was hoping to see a $249 price point, and its looking like a reality. Nintendo needs a mass market price on day one, and a solid lineup of first party games to get the Switch off to a fast start. Any hope of having solid western third party support leans heavily on how quickly Switch gets going. Wii U was able to sell 3.5 million units during the launch period with a 2D Mario and NintendoLand. Switch is launching at a better price and with the biggest Zelda ever created, and most likely a new 3D Mario game. Switch will sell 10 million units in its first year. I think the specs will ultimately keep some third party titles off the system, but when its cost effective to do ports, and I think there are many instances like Sports titles where its very feasible. Its 2016, the 3DS hardware is a relic in terms of tech, but its going to sell a ton of units this Christmas thanks to Pokémon Sun and Moon. Proof that software alongside an attractive price can move hardware that is far from cutting edge, and Switch with its Tegra chip will be far more cutting edge on day one than the 3DS hardware was.

Mind you, $329.99 CAD is what WiiU costs in Canada (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 32GB), whereas it's $299.99 USD in US.

Right, it's certainly possible that Nintendo didn't want to increase the Canadian price due to the high USD since they aren't selling too well in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back